Number of taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I know this is ultimately an individual call…but I am stuck on the number of taps to install.

I have 13 cornys, a 14cu ft keezer to-be-built and am stuck on the number of taps. I was all set to buy an eight tap tower on ebay (it went cheap) but wife weighed in last minute and stated it was too big and industrial looking for her taste.

She has cast her vote (again) for the original two tower design, with two taps each.

I strayed from the original design and was leaning toward an Irish coffin or "t" tower with 5-6 taps.

Based on the necessity to make her happy (she was not thrilled with the foray into homebrewing) I will go the two tower route, but am wondering if I should go four or six taps total (two or three taps per tower).

Homebrewing friends are about split - some say four some say six. The group on the four side believes more taps is more pressure to brew (and keep them flowing) which means more drinking or potentially wasted beer. Six tap fans state variety is key and highlight I can always have dry taps.

If you have similarly crossed this dilemma and decided good or bad for one course of action, please let me know!

I have my first batch of homebrew already in kegs so I will be using a picnic tap for the near future until we can solve the number of tap dilemma! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

How many kegs can you fit into your freezer? That might be the answer. I have 5 with a dual co2 reg and 1 5lb tank and don't need any more pressure to serve all 5.

How many kegs can you fit into your freezer? That might be the answer. I have 5 with a dual co2 reg and 1 5lb tank and don't need any more pressure to serve all 5.

This.

I can fit 5, but I also like the space for my co2 bottle, bottled beers and chilling mugs, etc., so I went with 4 taps... Pretty happy so far.

This.

I can fit 5, but I also like the space for my co2 bottle, bottled beers and chilling mugs, etc., so I went with 4 taps... Pretty happy so far.

Good to hear. Yup, I keep my co2 tank in my chest freezer too.
Got to get the wife on board. That's how I've been able to invest/splurge . :)

Had four, but now only use two.

I'm a two beer a night guy. Wife, one. There are a couple of go to beers that we drink regularly. Others that are sippers or just for when the desire hits. For the second category, I now just leave picnic taps coiled up on top of the kegs. With the lines and tap in the keezer, they don't need constant attention. Even with Perlicks, my combination OCD and lazy had me worried about beer residue in the faucet. Had to either draw a beer daily from each tap or clean after use.

I can fit 5, but I live alone, so I figured three would be more than enough to have at any time....though at some point I may add a stout tap. But I use the space to cold crash fermenters or store bottle beer in it.

I have 4 taps and neighbors who drink my beer regularly. 4 seems to give me a nice variety while not being overwhelming on the brewing. I usually brew 2-3 times per month lagers and ales. I would suggest starting with 4 taps for then next year and see how it goes. If you find yourself needing to expand you can always ask for new taps/towers for Christmas.

It depends on how many cornies you can fit. I have a 4 tap, which is great, and I dont think I would want more. What I do want(and dont have) is space for cold conditioning/carbing.

It also depends how much beer you(and friends) will be drinking and also what styles you brew most often. If you aren't turning kegs over quickly and brewing mostly hop forward beers you could end up drinking a lot of past their prime IPAs. If you brew styles that condition well, basically anything but hop forward, then go for more taps as long as you have room to have at least 2 conditioning and/or carbing.

So you have your first ever kegged batch or your first ever batch? If it's your first ever batch, I'd recommend installing fewer and design it with room to expand. Homebrewing is a lot like buffets - our eyes are typically bigger than our appetites. I'd never be able to keep up with 8 taps, on the production or consumption ends.

More is better. I have 3 taps, and trying to figure out how I want to add at least 2 more.

Thanks for the answers so far! Trying to hit all the points raised (in no particular order):

- I agree eight would be way too much for production and consumption. Only reason I even considered it was the price. It sold for $100!
- We are an IPA family...so agree on IPAs sitting too long. We currently have a kegerator (store bought kegs) and we turn over kegs about 1-2 months, pending visitors and time of year.
- I can brew 10g batches. For recipes we know and like I will brew 10g batches. My wife is pretty much a pale and IPA gal...so I plan to have two IPAs/Pale on tap at all times. I would like a cider on tap all the time as well for non beer drinking guests. In the winter I will want a stout, summer a hefe or lighter beer. Reason I was thinking six was to have the ability to throw in another flavor from the above intended "normal" rotation. Running a picnic tap is definitely doable and was in my original calculus...but since the three headed taps or only $25 more...
- The keezer will hold eight cornys AND a 20lb CO2 bottle with space on the hump for the internal stuff (fan, CO2 distributer etc)
- I plan to carb slowly...having all cornys in keezer on gas at 10lbs.
- I have a stand-up fermentation chamber that holds my 15g conical. Once I have my production line running, that will serve as my venue to cold crash. If I am making "experimental" brews, they will be 5g and I can fit up to four carboys into the fermentor...so there is no need to cold crash in the keezer. Same actually applies for cold storage if I needed it.
- Kegged first batch that I ever brewed. My first batch of AG is in the conical (brewed this weekend). So first across the board on everything. I know I can always changes things as I get more experienced, but by leveraging other's experience and stories I hope to hit the sweet spot the first time. I have been reading and studying the hobby for a couple years, with it being my sole focus the past five months or so. WRT the numbers of "standards on tap" is based on what we have in growlers and in bottles (bought) at any given time - that is where the at least four came from...

I would appreciate more comments, but the sensible and more practical option would be two, two tap towers, and then have a couple picnic taps on hand. Since I have a couple growlers laying around, I could always fill a couple for the weekend thus limiting the open and closing of the keezer.

Please keep the thoughts coming!

I'm running four at my place. also run 11-12gal batches. four is nice, and i've been looking to possibly change out one of my taps to a stout faucet. i think you are right on with the 20lb co2 tank and a couple picnic taps for the excess. so, my 2c, 4 taps is pretty nice...

Back