Nuking Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtpublic

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Reaction score
So, I enjoy brett beers but I have no experience with them in my own homebrewing adventures. This is where I could use some insight.

A friend of mine had a barrel of Belgian quad brett that he kegged and gave out, since he bought a new house and couldn't bring the full barrel. I got one of these kegs, oh darn. The worse part was that the beer is really damn good, imagine my dismay at the situation. I even get to keep the the keg.

I have a very solid sanitizing regimine down but what is the likelihood that I'll be able to avoid brett problems in my regular ale rotations? Or should I start doing brett beers in only this keg? I wouldn't mind either of these options, it would just be nice to get some direction here.

Your usual very thorough and effective cleaning and sanitizing routine should suffice.
Ok, I'm thinking of replacing the o-rings and letting it sit with vinegar for an hour.

How would it affect ball lock connections, do you think? Would it be best to replace those or also run my sanitizer in there?

At the end of the day, brett is yeast and not really any more resistant to cleaning and sanitation than any other yeast. You do need to be diligent about cleaning and sanitize well. I would avoid starsan or anything similar as a sanitizer. Iodophor would be more effective than most acid-based cleaners unless you're using some potent, commercial acid sanitizer. (Many acid-based sanitizers, like starsan, are not particularly effective on yeast, even sacc.)

I never worry about it and share all my kegs with brett. Never had an issue.

Perhaps run some camden infused water through it all?

Back