NPR: How Brewers Are Churning Out Tangy Sours Without The Hefty Price Tag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the article. I thought the concept of kettle souring was pretty cool. Basically you inoculate the beer in the kettle with lacto overnight. Then you boil to kill the bacteria when it reaches the acidity that you want, transfer it to the fermenter and let yeast work on whatever is left. It's a pretty amazing concept.

I just did my first kettle sour last weekend and was pretty impressed by how easy it was.

From reading about kettle souring on other threads here at HBT I want to know how often the brewer isn't happy with the result.

I've also read about making a sour starter and if it passes the sniff test, pouring it into a cooled mash and letting it sit a while, then boiling and brew as normal.

Other than blending, are there any techniques for making a kettle soured beer more complex? My thoughts are oak chips, fruit, or just starting with a more complex beer.

Latest posts

Back