Nottinham Isn't dropping out of suspension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmonhouse

Reaction score
Greetings brewers!

I've been a brewer for maybe 5 years now. I have been making regular large scale batches and have worked my way up to ~25 gallon batches. I have been making very similar recipes and using rehydrated dry yeast, particularily the S0-04 and Nottingham yeast.

I was reusing my s04 for a time until i recently got a stalled fermentation at which point i purchased some nottingham yeast to finish the job. It worked but the yeast never dropped out of suspension until i force cold crashed it at about 40f for a weekend. At which point i kegged it ALL and put it in my kegerator which holds about 25 gallons in a sankey and two cornies. So all was good. My next two subsequent batches i have used nottingham with explosive fermenations and plenty of blow out. I use whilflock tabs but i'm on my second or third batch with nottingham and after 3 weeks and ramping the temp up from 65 to 73f, same story, yeast wont drop out! Looks cloudy as hell in there.

Never had this problem before, and it's suspiciously related to using Nottingham, which i know is supposed to be a good flocker. My gravity is 1.012 so it's definitely finished. I know i'll likely have to crash it again but it's becoming problematic because if i crash all 25 gallons i feel i'll need to keep it all cold until use. I generally keg up some and secondary the rest and keep at room temp. I'm sketched about dropping it to serving temp and then allowing it to room temp again. I want that beer out of my fermentation closet so i can go ahead and brew some more!

Any thoughts on this. Or do i need to add a walk in cooler to my brewery? Should i be unconcerned about that temp flux if i do cold crash and allow it to go warm?

Is this Notty re-used? It's possible you are harvesting the least flocculating cells and then growing less flocculating cells which can happen when you try to go 2-3-4 generations of a strain

I just checked my fake 1.042 Kolsch like ale that used Nottingham at 59f for 4 days, then pulled from the ferment fridge and sit at room temp (it's day 7 or 8 now) and the gravity sample, while tasting great, is extremely cloudy, which for most yeasts I wouldn't say much about, but Nottingham for me is usually quite clear by now.

I'm not fretting over it yet, but depending on how it looks in a week or two, I may toss some bio fine in the keg when it gets racked. I'll report back.

And off topic, but I'm dying over your signature, as I can hear it being said quickly and loudly after several too many.... It's also great not to see a signature with Ben Franklin quoted or something mentioning "swmbo".

Back