Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terrible. I can drink about a half of one if I've had 3 or 4 very hoppy beers beforehand and kinda kill my taste. I think I'm going to keep them around and open one up every time I consider buying Nottingham yeast.
Hahaha. Yeah. I've been drinking that rancid OJ like stuff from the keg the last couple of days.

It's awful. I'll never serve it to anyone else, but I'm too much of a cheap bastard to throw it away.

To add insult to injury, I saw the keg lid was leaking CO2 yesterday morning. Hopefully I did not lose too much gas.:(

Truly this beer deserves it's new name: "Disaster Blond."

I kept a sample in a glass in the fridge to taste cold. Blech. This sucks. This batch got all the harvested hops off my first year rhizomes too. It was supposed to be special....

Phenols in my braggot. This really sucks, this wasn't a cheap brew to do and it was my first braggot. Thanks Danstar. I won't be using Notty for a very long time.

I'm planning on using Notty for the first time for a Raspberry Chocolate Stout based on the BYO Fuller Double Chocolate Stout clone. I'm using 3# of homegrown berries and plan and giving these as gifts so I really don't wanna screw it up.

My packet doesn't match the recall but I just took some closeup pictures and it looks like it might be punctured.

What do you guys think? Should I just pitch with US-05 or pick up a packet of US-04?

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3029.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3032.jpg

Update:

I sent a email to Rob at Danstar with the pictures and asked his opinion on weather or not the yeast was still good. He advised against using the yeast
and send me a package with 5 EACH of Notty, Windsor, and Munich! Also included was a postage paid return envelope to send the suspect package back to him.

That is pretty awesome customer service!

Wish I could back the customer service up. The rep I dealt with was adamant that there was nothing wrong with any of the packets from that 08-2010 batch. Over $50 of ingredients and 16+ hours of my time wasted...a few $3 packets is not going to cut it.

Wish I could back the customer service up. The rep I dealt with was adamant that there was nothing wrong with any of the packets from that 08-2010 batch. Over $50 of ingredients and 16+ hours of my time wasted...a few $3 packets is not going to cut it.

I am convinced that their problem went well beyond just one specific batch.

I sent 4 packets of the recall batch back last week, did anyone recieve free yeast other than the poster above who got the windsor, notty, etc for free? Just wondering what they will do to make up for it, I have been using a yeast cake for the last 3 brews that was originally nottingham but i didnt want to risk ruining a batch...

You got some satisfaction, thats great. I would be happy to have heard anything from Danstar by now. Sent my packs in Sept. 3 and haven't heard anything yet. I am beginning to wonder if I ever will.

Frankly, this whole experience means that I have to open each Brewer's Best kit I buy from the local shop in front of the owner to check the yeast and ask for a replacement. A hobby shouldn't be such a hassle.

ANYONE recieved thier replacement packs? None here, doubt I will. Though I doubt I will use Notty again either as there are other varieties in this niche that work plenty fine.

FWIW I sent mine out three days after they posted the address here.

I'm in canada shipping should be three days max and I still have yet to see anything from them either. I'm starting to get a little annoyed about this, the reality is that is would only take a few minutes a day to do get replacement yeast out. I can count 20 packages and print a label in less than five minutes. Just get it done and try and repair your name. I was at the LHBS and I passed on the notty they had because I was afraid of using a questionable yeast on 5 hours of my work. Unfortunately I'm very limited on what yeasts I can get around here.

Wow, seams like my experience was different than most so far. I hadn't even used my yeast yet and I actually have never used Notty before. I'm fairly new to homebrewing and have only used US-05 and 04 for dry yeast. I'll copy my original email below along with the address I sent to. Maybe it will help you guys out.

to [email protected]
date Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM
subject Notty Recall
mailed-by gmail.com

Rob, I'm sure you're getting loads of emails like this everyday. I'm sorry to burden you with one more.

I am planning to use Notty for the first time in an upcoming brew. These are being brewed for gifts and will contain 3 pounds of my own homegrown raspberries so I want to make sure it turns out right.

After seeing the information about the recalls on homebrewtalk.com I inspected my packet. Although the batch number does not match it looks as if it might suffer from the same defect. Could you please take a look at this linked pictures and advise me on whether to use the yeast or not.

Thanks for you time and expertise.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3029.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMG_3032.jpg

I got the email address for Ron Moline from the Danstar contact page and he responded quickly and professionally every time. I hope the rest of you get taken care of as well.

ANYONE recieved thier replacement packs? None here, doubt I will. Though I doubt I will use Notty again either as there are other varieties in this niche that work plenty fine.

FWIW I sent mine out three days after they posted the address here.

Pol or anyone else out there, is Safale 05 a recommended replacement for Notty? I am brewing Ed's Bee Cave Porter today which calls for Notty. I have a few packs of 05 in the fridge which I will pitch if it is a good replacement.

Thanks! :mug:

I've been subsituting us-05 for Notty with good results. Depending on what you're brewing s-04 could also be a substitute.

Pol or anyone else out there, is Safale 05 a recommended replacement for Notty? I am brewing Ed's Bee Cave Porter today which calls for Notty. I have a few packs of 05 in the fridge which I will pitch if it is a good replacement.

Thanks! :mug:

If it calls for Notty, 05 is a fine sub.

Well on Wednesday I broke down and bought some Nottingham from the LHBS, This was from a 500g package with an exp of 08 2011. I'm at at 48 hours with no signs of fermentation. This is really starting to bother me, I'm quickly getting to the point of no return with them. This will be the first time I haven't had another yeast to pitch so we'll se how this plays out. If they don't get the replacement yeast to me in the next week I'm going to have to switch to liquid yeasts. Unless I can get some positive reviews of coopers yeast.

Safale 05 will do you just fine, and in some cases the 04. IF you choose to purchase Nottingham, look at the package for the batch stamping, if it looks deep, do not buy it! Beware of stickers placed over the stamp and new date stamping on it, I found a package like that and when I removed the sticker, the stamp was deep.

If I had someone local who has S05 I would be buying it, I have two local choices notty and coopers, it sucks but what can I do. I would have expected my replacement yeast to have gotten here long ago. If I had known it was going to be this long I would have ordered some.

If I had someone local who has S05 I would be buying it, I have two local choices notty and coopers, it sucks but what can I do. I would have expected my replacement yeast to have gotten here long ago. If I had known it was going to be this long I would have ordered some.

I would DEMAND US-05 or warn them of on-line shopping.

Today is Nov. 3. Two months and counting since I sent my tainted yeast back. Nothing new to report. - N_G

All I have to report is bad batches with other lots of nottingham yeast. I feel like I just paid my stupid tax for the year

Nothing new here either... no replacements and after hearing of poeple having issues with other lots. Well... Nottingham isnt a special yeast, and is easily replaced, this is not a good thing for Danstar.

I bailed on Notty after one bad batch, plus all the stories of others' problems with it. I loved it and it may be a problem that gets fixed, but I'm not willing to gamble the money and hours spent making a batch for $1.50 worth of yeast and company loyalty. I've got 5 packs of Notty that will not live to eat wort, but that's $7.50 I'm willing to part with. RIP 5 gallons of IPA.

I bailed on Notty after one bad batch, plus all the stories of others' problems with it. I loved it and it may be a problem that gets fixed, but I'm not willing to gamble the money and hours spent making a batch for $1.50 worth of yeast and company loyalty. I've got 5 packs of Notty that will not live to eat wort, but that's $7.50 I'm willing to part with. RIP 5 gallons of IPA.

I recorded my troubles with Notty here (or in a very simlar thread). I just bottled that IPA and it was cloudy, and had a bit of green apple in the background. The apple will probably clear, but this was a real disappointment. It was the first time in many years I used dry yeast.

I use dry yeast almost exclusively, and have used Notty several times in the past with great results. The only negative result I've had was with a lot # of Notty very close to the recalled batch. All of my other processes are very consistent. It's the only variable that I was left with. Don't give up on the dry yeast, as it doesn't require a starter, stores longer, and is usually very consistent. Liquid yeast gives you more flexibiltiy, but dry yeast gives great convenience and stabilty, plus it's cheaper. :mug:

I tossed in some Notty to my IPA after my 001 did not take off and it took off in a couple hours. I haven't used dry in a long time, so we'll see how it turns out. Looks ok so far.

I brewed a batch of Centennial Blonde on Saturday. It's been over 72 hours and no sign of fermentation. When I bought it, I asked the LHBS if they got rid of all of the bad Nottingham yeast that was recalled and they said yes. I was supposed to be good. Oh well... now I have to wait until the weekend to get some more. Very disappointed.

I brewed a batch of Centennial Blonde on Saturday. It's been over 72 hours and no sign of fermentation. When I bought it, I asked the LHBS if they got rid of all of the bad Nottingham yeast that was recalled and they said yes. I was supposed to be good. Oh well... now I have to wait until the weekend to get some more. Very disappointed.

I've got a package in the fridge for a N. English brown, don't think I'm using it now. That's a shame. It's a good lot supposedly, but the expiration stamp has dinged up the package very deeply, which is what they claim was the issue in the first place. Not gonna trust it.

:off:

Smoodude, your avatar is making me nervous. I hope that's a Better Bottle. I personally know three people who have been wounded by carboys exploding in their arms. I won't even touch mine without gloves on and a Brewhauler/milk crate. My PSA for today. :mug:

While those packs that were recalled did take a while to start, I have to report all of my beers were fine and the new packs are working well as well.

I use dry yeast almost exclusively, and have used Notty several times in the past with great results. The only negative result I've had was with a lot # of Notty very close to the recalled batch. All of my other processes are very consistent. It's the only variable that I was left with. Don't give up on the dry yeast, as it doesn't require a starter, stores longer, and is usually very consistent. Liquid yeast gives you more flexibiltiy, but dry yeast gives great convenience and stabilty, plus it's cheaper. :mug:
I would not stop using dry yeast regardless, for the reasons you state ( added the bold face). I'm a big fan, but there are other brands.

I will not be using Nottingham for while because I do not believe that they have been completely forthcoming about their issues. As you noted, there have been problems reported with batches other than the one that they owned up to. This has been clear for weeks, as anyone who has been tracking this thread could tell you.

Luckily for me, I had nothing worse than a couple of late starting ferment. A friend had an infected batch (that we were able to save). So in no case did we have the time and money involved go down the drain (literally and figuratively).

But that doesn't excuse their response to what has happened and it will be a long time before I forget it. Anyone can have a problem, that's human. But it's how you respond to it that makes your reputation. They could have come out of this better than ever (read about J&J and Tylenol for the definitive case study on this kind of thing).

Just got 7 packets from Danstar today in the mail, I sent in 4 packets about 4 weeks ago, I am happy with their service, just going to make a small starter with them or double pitch packets to make sure it is a good ferment and since other lots have been having problems on here as well. But I am impressed with their service and fairly quick response.

I received a package from Danstar/Lallemand today in the mail. 3 returned for 1 sent. So at least thats good.

The packages still have suspiciously deep impressions from the printer. I don't know what I'll do with them.

Does anyone know the alchohol tolerance of nottingham? The website just says "relatively high alcohol tolerance".

I used WLP007 to try and attack a 1.120 beer, it was down to 1.046 last night which is about the 10% that WLP007 says it will do. I dumped in a pack of nottingham this morning hoping to get to about 1.027

Latest posts

Back