nottingham too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
I brewed a northern English mild on sunday and after rehydration the nottingham, pitched it after giving the wort a 60 second shot of oxygen. The wort was cooled to around 65 and placed in the basement. As of yet, I am seeing no activity. I brought the carboy up to the kitchen thinking that maybe it was too cold down there (59 in the basement vs 68 in the kitchen). Should I wait or re-pitch?

Give it another day or two. Keep it in the basement--59 ambient is not too cold for Notty. The kitchen temp of 68 will end up being too warm once the yeast takes off and internal temps rise.

Dry yeast or with yeast starter. Currently I have some going at 58 degrees at least that's what the thermy sticker says. It may take a little time to get going, I used a yeast starter and cooled the wort as cold as I could with the therminator and ther was 12 hour lag time.
How long since you pitched?

I pitched two days ago. It was dry that I rehydrated. I had another batch that I had no problem with and it took off fairly quickly. This one is just taking its good old time. I think there are some bubbles on the surface that were not there before. If it continues to show activity, I can always take it back down to the basement. I assume that with 5.5 gallons, it will take time to cool off so it should not be a sudden shock.

So when I went to bed last night, I could see a couple of bubbles on the surface of the wort. I didn't think that they were there before but I wasn't sure. This morning at 5 am, I had about a 1/2 inch layer of krausen. Once again I was jumping the gun. I took the carboy back downstairs and it should be nice and cool down there. When taking it down, it shook quite a bit, that should not be an issue, correct?

Sounds like its all good, sloshing the beer around carrying it down the stairs won't won't be a problem.

Hey man... I just used notty for the first time and kept mine in a swamp cooler at 60°-65°. The fermentation got pretty violent around 24 hours. If I didn't use a blowoff tube, it could've been treacherous.

https://youtu.be/mNvWbRNLXEI

Latest posts

Back