Nottingham- $2/pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
AMZ has Notty 5 packs for $17, use current 40% off of subscribe and save deal for net around $10. For the mathematically challenged or the somewhat intoxicated (you know who you are), that's about $2/pack. Must be a Prime member.
Good deal!
I chose 6 month subscription.

There are many good deals on AMZ for dry yeast now. Lalbrew series is usually around $6, S05 can be had 3/$11 or so. I have even picked up grain for under $3/lb shipped.

Does not bode well for the traditional suppliers, particularly for occasional brewers like myself, I can just pick up a few items that I need rather than create a large order to avail myself of the free shipping minimum. Probably the future of brewing supplies, unfortunately.

Lalbrew series is usually around $6
FWIW, my normal price for Notty is currently is $3.59; other Lalbrew strains that I brew with are $3.79 or $3.99. Yeast is light - often can be shipped USPS for a very attractive price or helps get to a "free/reduced shipping" price point.

Does not bode well for the traditional suppliers
I'm willing to pay a little more for value added services like "grain quick select" lists.

I order from Morebeer or Atlantic Brew Supply, and both have Verdant and most Lalbrew yeasts for $6.99. Amazon has it shipped to me in two days, no minimum, now for $6.09. IMO, it is getting harder to justify ordering from the traditional mail order supply houses. They put the smaller guys (local HBS) out of business, their day is coming.

Some of those deals on Amazon ship from Hobby Homebrew in Illinois. (I've had good luck the 2 times I ordered from them.) I think some of the smaller homebrew supply companies have been smart to link up with Amazon.

As a local homebrew shop owner that builds systems, TIG welds ports onto kettles while you wait, invents hardware solutions, teaches brewing, supports local homebrewing clubs, accepts mail in competition entries, and helps people troubleshoot their homebrew problems, I'm just going to ask this question. Are the offshore Amazon support chatbots going to offer the same services once all our shops are shuttered because Amazon is a little cheaper and a little faster for the staple items of brewing? That's a rhetorical question. No need to answer or respond to this post.

I just placed an order from Bezo-mart for some dry yeast and DME. I also just placed an order for locally malted grains from my LHBS. And hops. Is there a rule that says I can't support the local businesses and also take advantage of a good price online?

edit - I should add that my LHBS has competitive prices on some yeasts but not others, so I often will buy yeast from them too. OTOH, the DME selection is limited and overpriced.

Last edited:
edit - I should add that my LHBS has competitive prices on some yeasts but not others, so I often will buy yeast from them too. OTOH, the DME selection is limited and overpriced.

Have you ever talked to the owner and told him that if he brought in XYZ brand DME and sold it for $Y, you'd buy it from him? I'm not saying he could do it, but does he even know you want it? The reason why it can be a little cheaper on Amazon is that their cost for holding 100 pounds of it in their 3Mft3 warehouse is almost nothing. The "seller" doesn't have to do anything and though Amazon is taking the bulk of profit, who cares? Meanwhile the LHBS owner slogs his ass to the store every day to serve as the last resort. I'm not suggesting that anyone stupid enough to open a brick and morter shop anymore has some inherent right to demand everyone shop there. I'm just saying, think about the long game here. We are on the road to "only Amazon" whether it's sooner or later and just ask yourself if you're OK with having a small part in it.

Have you ever talked to the owner and told him that if he brought in XYZ brand DME and sold it for $Y, you'd buy it from him?
Can't say that I have. Just assumed that he would if he could and that little old me is not enough of a demand center for him to change his business practices. But anyway, you guys seem to be missing the part about how I am in fact supporting my LHBS. And a relatively new startup local maltster who sources grain from local farms.

Have you ever talked to the owner and told him that if he brought in XYZ brand DME and sold it for $Y, you'd buy it from him? I'm not saying he could do it, but does he even know you want it? The reason why it can be a little cheaper on Amazon is that their cost for holding 100 pounds of it in their 3Mft3 warehouse is almost nothing. The "seller" doesn't have to do anything and though Amazon is taking the bulk of profit, who cares? Meanwhile the LHBS owner slogs his ass to the store every day to serve as the last resort. I'm not suggesting that anyone stupid enough to open a brick and morter shop anymore has some inherent right to demand everyone shop there. I'm just saying, think about the long game here. We are on the road to "only Amazon" whether it's sooner or later and just ask yourself if you're OK with having a small part in it.
Remember when Amazon started out as an online book seller, $0.01 above publisher's cost plus shipping? Everyone said it wouldn't work because people like to sit in bookshops, smell books, peruse shelves, etc. Yep, just like Netflix didn't affect Blockbuster's business model either.

The cheapest I can get 5 packs of Notty at WHOLESALE is $14.45, or $13.50 if I bought 500 packs. It's from a vendor I can rarely justify ordering from due to the overall product mix, so I actually pay more 75% of the time.
First class postage would be about $4 to most states so it would COST me $18.45 to get someone 5 packs. Even if I wanted to make it a loss leader and sell it at cost, Amazon would beat me.

I've almost always ordered on line or picked up stuff when I traveled as when I started homebrewing, it was illegal in MS and was until we moved to AR. No local shops. I stopped brewing for a few years, and found a local shop near to me. Owner, the second guy who owned the place was a dick and I only bought a few things over time from him. ( you can't as shop owner treat your customers like they are stupid and expect them to come back.) At any rate, he sold the place to a new guy 2 years ago, and I started buying from him as needed. Pandemic happened and he closed store and moved into a local brewpub. Well, just forget him now. He has amost nothing but some hardware for sale. Yes, if you have a local shop, work to buy from them as much as possible,

I, and a few others here, are in a strange spot because our LHBS shops are Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies.

That said I do often purchase from Bobby, Ritebrew, Norcal, Williams, etc.

Still active and there was a 30% coupon if you return to the page to subscribe for another 5

$2 for a pack of yeast, and one of the most popular ones too boot, is a great deal. And you also get the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a small USA based business, FastRack, trying innovative approaches to capture new markets. Everyone wins. EVERYONE!

I’m only getting a 15% subscribe and save discount … am i doing something wrong?
There’s a coupon you have to click on the product page. It seems like the rate may be variable on unknown factors however, considering it offered me a 30% discount at one point.

1692249933803.png

Back