Not the attenuation I was hoping for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I made a Double IPA that ended up a little higher in gravity than I had estimated. Here are the stats:

Mash sched: 145F,156F,168F

85% Pale Ale malt
5% Rye malt
5% Flaked oats
5% Carapils

Put White Labs yeast nutrient in the boil.
Oxygenated at 0.5L/min for 100 seconds.
Safale US-05, pitched at the cell count called for by Mr. Malty yeast calculator, rehydrated with Go-Ferm.
1.067 OG.
Pitched at 66F, let free rise to 68F.
at 1.038 gravity, pitched 1lb of table sugar with Fermaid K.
Let rise to 70F a day after sugar pitch.

Beersmith told me I should end up at 1.009, and it stalled out at 1.013. I know it's "only" 4 points, but that 4 points makes a big difference in a beer like this. Any ideas on what I can do (outside of getting liquid yeast, which I cannot at this time) to get better attenuation?!

Thanks!

how long did you mash at 145?

I have the opposite experience with 05... i can't get it to not go down to 1.010! just brewed an amber ale. mash temp of 152, 15% crystal...still went down to 1.009

Rouse it a few times a day (morning, home from work, goin to bed), just gently swirl for 15-20 secs to get everything in suspension and help knock out a little CO2.

If you can get the temp higher than 70, do it. Like, go to 74, it will help get the yeast active.

I made a Double IPA that ended up a little higher in gravity than I had estimated. Here are the stats:

Mash sched: 145F,156F,168F

85% Pale Ale malt
5% Rye malt
5% Flaked oats
5% Carapils

Put White Labs yeast nutrient in the boil.
Oxygenated at 0.5L/min for 100 seconds.
Safale US-05, pitched at the cell count called for by Mr. Malty yeast calculator, rehydrated with Go-Ferm.
1.067 OG.
Pitched at 66F, let free rise to 68F.
at 1.038 gravity, pitched 1lb of table sugar with Fermaid K.
Let rise to 70F a day after sugar pitch.

Beersmith told me I should end up at 1.009, and it stalled out at 1.013. I know it's "only" 4 points, but that 4 points makes a big difference in a beer like this. Any ideas on what I can do (outside of getting liquid yeast, which I cannot at this time) to get better attenuation?!

Thanks!

What do you mean you pitched US-05 at the cell count from Mr. Malty?

Did you make a starter or something? Did you rehydrate?

how long did you mash at 145?

I have the opposite experience with 05... i can't get it to not go down to 1.010! just brewed an amber ale. mash temp of 152, 15% crystal...still went down to 1.009

Good question. I mashed for 60 mins at 145F. Is that too short?

Rouse it a few times a day (morning, home from work, goin to bed), just gently swirl for 15-20 secs to get everything in suspension and help knock out a little CO2.

If you can get the temp higher than 70, do it. Like, go to 74, it will help get the yeast active.

Do you mean even now or that's what I should have done? It's been at 1.013 for 3 days but if you think doing that would help even still I can give it a try.

What do you mean you pitched US-05 at the cell count from Mr. Malty?

Did you make a starter or something? Did you rehydrate?

Mr Malty has a dry yeast tab that tells you how many cells (ie. how many packets) you should pitch.

So... how many did you pitch? Curious really at this point.

Just take a look at mrmalty.com. Click on the dry yeast tab. I pitched 217 billion cells (13 grams, 1.1 11.5-gram yeast packets)...

Do you mean even now or that's what I should have done? It's been at 1.013 for 3 days but if you think doing that would help even still I can give it a try.

If it's still sitting on the yeast from primary go for it, you can probably get it down a point or two. That grain bill is pretty light on the unfermentables.

If it's still sitting on the yeast from primary go for it, you can probably get it down a point or two. That grain bill is pretty light on the unfermentables.

Great. I'll give that a try! I'm a bit scared to rouse it too much as I am afraid I will oxidize it. But I'll raise the temp to 74F or so and see what happens! Will report back.

Don't go too crazy, just swirly gently to get the yeast back into suspension. The headspace should be still full of CO2 so it's not as easy to oxidize yet.

#1 I'd drop the CaraPils

#2 Next time after 40 minutes @ 145F increase it to 150F and hold it until 60 mins, then continue as before.

Back