Not sure if it’s done yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubed

Reaction score
It had to happen sooner or later, but I finally have a beer that’s confusing me. I brewed a Belgian white on 3/6, started checking it yesterday, and I’m not sure if it’s ok to keg yet. Gravity checks say it’s good to go (3-6-08: OG: 1.044, 3/18 1.010, 3/19 1.010) but two things are stopping me from going forward. One is that there is still a thick krausen on top of the brew, and two when I took my gravity samples there was co2 bubbling out of my test tube. It seems like it’s been cooking long enough, but I’m worried that a high co2 content in the sample may have artificially lowered the gravity reading and that it needs more time.

Any suggestions?

The recipe in case anyone wanted to see it

Belgian White – 3-6-08 (14)
AHS Kit- PM
Grains:
.5lb Flaked Wheat
1.0lb White Wheat Malt
1.25 Belgian Pilsner

Heated 2.5 gal of water to 160, turned off heat, added gains in grain bag, soaked for 45 min at 155. Sparged with 4.5 cups of water at 170.

Extract:
5lbs Wheat Extract

Hops
00 min into boil added 0.5 oz Amarillo
15 min into boil added 0.5 oz crushed coriander, 0.5 oz bitter orange peel
25 min into boil added 0.5 oz Amarillo
30 min into boil- Flame out

Yeast: White labs Belgian wit Ale 400. Starter started at 200ml 4 days prior, stepped up to 400ml 2 days prior.

3-6-08: OG: 1.044 (target 1.048)
3-18-08: 1.010 (target 1.010)
3-19-08: 1.010

Well, I'm pretty sure it's done. But to be absolutely sure, you could try degassing your hydro sample. Just pour it back and forth from glass to glass when the co2 comes out of solution, and then test. Give it a little spin when you drop it in, to make sure no bubbles are under it. I think that will give you an accurate reading!
Of course, it will not hurt to wait another week or two, since it's only been two weeks since you brewed.

Thanks for the tip Yooper! Had a third day in a row of 1.010, even after degassing, so it's not sitting in a keg waiting to be consumed! :D

It is best to wait another week unless you are kegging in wich case you could keg it because it will finish in the keg while conditioning. Put CO2 on it to seal up the keg o'rings and blead off any air before the final blast of CO2.

WBC said:
It is best to wait another week unless you are kegging in wich case you could keg it because it will finish in the keg while conditioning. Put CO2 on it to seal up the keg o'rings and blead off any air before the final blast of CO2.

Did just that! :)

Back