Not sure how to make this work or even if it can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrasty

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've just started to get into the whole home brewing thing... and to be honest I think im already hooked! :D. Anyways I have a question I wouldnt mind a little help with; I live in a pretty warm climate so i NEED a means to keep my fermentations at the proper temperature. I have access to a couple of old fridges or chest freezers. My question is... What's the best/easiest way (if possible) to mod a regular fridge to maintain the 65-70 range? If not IM just gonna use it plugged out and cool it with frozen 1gallon bottles of water. Not my preffered way but it should work with some tinkering to find a balance during fermentations. I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks again

there are lots of temp controlers out there I am useing a watlow but I know johnson controls makes em too. look on morebeer.com at the FE610a or the FE 610 its a rancho controller they work really good too
Good luck
JJ

I have no idea about modding a fridge, but...

There are several other means to keep fermentation temps steady. One is to place a wet towel/cloth around the carboy and have it suspended in water, so it maintains its moisture.

Another is to place the carboy/bottles in water themselves and just check the temp of the water once in a while to make sure it doesn't fluctuate too much. I've never done this, so someone correct me if i'm wrong here.

Keeping them stored at lower levels is preferred, since hot air rises. Also, keep them out of direct sunlight, not only for keeping them cool, but also to keep your beer from skunking.

There are many other ways, I just can't think of them--others will help out, I'm sure. :)

Welcome to the forum!

jaybird said:
there are lots of temp controlers out there I am useing a watlow but I know johnson controls makes em too. look on morebeer.com at the FE610a or the FE 610 its a rancho controller they work really good too
Good luck
JJ

You can also take a look at the Ranco ETC-111000. I picked one up used for $50 shipped on ebay.

You are definitely looking for a temperature controller, it will do exactly what you are looking for.

I have mine hooked up to an old dorm firdge, enough room inside for one carboy, my Kolsch will be in there soon fermenting.

Wow that was fast guys.. thanks so much ill check out the Temp controllers for sure. Des, thanks for the tip. but unfortunately im looking at temps that peak in the 90's (indoors), so I'm not sure that would be enough, and ideally I'd like to keep the cases/boxes of "conditioning" beer at that temp as well. Out of curiosity though, what effect does higher temps have on a batch of fermenting beer? I'm a week and a half into my first batch. I have racked the beer into a second fermenter and I'd like to know what to look for If it has been affected. Although the temps recently have only probably peaked at 85 or so... maybe a little less. Thanks again.

Cheers.

honestly I wouldn't worry about infection unless a. it tastes god awefull, or had mold on it, or of course unless you didn't sanitize anything.

In general high temps tend to cause yeast to produce fruity esters.

This is wanted in many ales (hefeweizen, etc.) But not in other beers (lagers, etc.). I think taste will be the biggest indicator.

85 is a bit high for most yeast. What yeast are you using? Try wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter this will cool it down some.

Phrasty said:
Wow that was fast guys.. thanks so much ill check out the Temp controllers for sure. Des, thanks for the tip. but unfortunately im looking at temps that peak in the 90's (indoors), so I'm not sure that would be enough, and ideally I'd like to keep the cases/boxes of "conditioning" beer at that temp as well. Out of curiosity though, what effect does higher temps have on a batch of fermenting beer? I'm a week and a half into my first batch. I have racked the beer into a second fermenter and I'd like to know what to look for If it has been affected. Although the temps recently have only probably peaked at 85 or so... maybe a little less. Thanks again.

Cheers.

Anyway of telling what temperature the beer was at that entire week? If you have an old fridge plug it in... put it on the warmest setting, leave a simple 50cent fridge thermometer in it 24 hours... See what it's at... if it can sustain a good 60-65 degrees i think you'll be good, in my experience the activity of the fermentation usually kicks the 5 gallons up about 5*F, most ale yeast is optimal at 68*F though up to 75* is good. Each yeast is different so temperature effects each one differently, check the specs and discription of your yeast to find out...

Great! Thanks guys.. I set the fridge on its highest (temp) setting.. ill check on it tomorrow!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back