Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crew needs to win out or have the dbacks lose with a brewer win so they won't have to play the Phillies first round and have home field. Also, need ATL to win so we can play then first rather than the dbacks.

Really hoping they lock it up tomorrow so they don't have to push a good starter on Wed.

Tigers need Texas to lose one, so we can have home field advantage.

Congrats to Texas, Next stop for the Tigers.. Friday and Saturday in NYY ... it will be Verlander, Fister for Detroit Sabathia, Nova for NY then Scherzer and ? Garcia ? then Porcello against ? Sabathia ? it's after 11:00 and we still don't know the Wild Card. Ray's made a terrific comeback.

Sox lose...Ray's tied.. bottom of 12th Longoria HR... Congrats to the wild card Ray's. Red Sox fan's are stunned

What a game huh!!! I watched the last 4 innings... great comeback win..Those last two minutes with the Sox loss and the Longoria HR...EPIC...

Heart palpitations. I know we were playing the Yanks B team in the 2nd half, but still...

With O's winning only a couple minutes before ours, wow, just wow.

Big night for Cards too. Atlanta blew it big time. I feel sorry for them up there (and for the Boston fans, too, to be honest).

Heart palpitations. I know we were playing the Yanks B team in the 2nd half, but still...

With O's winning only a couple minutes before ours, wow, just wow.

Big night for Cards too. Atlanta blew it big time. I feel sorry for them up there (and for the Boston fans, too, to be honest).

Hey the Yanks were up 7-0 and started subbing.... no big deal. You play against whoever is in the game...that was a great comeback regardless. If you want to see a B team look who the Angels put up against Texas the last couple day's.

Man I am finally calming down. Made me real homesick missing being in Florida right now for the celebration.

This has been the best month in Sports (College football and two great baseball races) that I can remember for a long time.

Go Rays!

I really don't care that the Sox are out, but I am happy they lost with papelbon on the mound. I hope he had his normal tough guy look on his face when he threw that last pitch. Smug LOSER. It's so nice to watch him lose.

Woo Hoo Rangers!!! First time ever having homefield advantage in the playoffs! Plus a 96 win season! Wow! Bring on Tampa!

Can't believe the Sox laid down the way they did. Nine games up just 3-4 weeks ago. I think they just wanted to watch it on tv! ha And congrats to the Cards!

Verlander had a fantastic regular season, but Valverde (AKA Papa Grande) had an equally impressive season as reliever. Now for the second season.

Best time of year. Postseason baseball and my Rays and my D'backs are in it... College football and my two alma maters are both undefeated (UF and OSU)... Pack is undefeated in the NFL... there might not be an NBA season this year.

Man sports can't possibly improve on that.

Heartbroken. Again.

I wish pundits would stop saying the Rays had a great September. They were what, 15-10, 15-11, something like that? Love Joe Maddon and his teams never give up but the Sox were simply pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Heartbroken. Again.

I wish pundits would stop saying the Rays had a great September. They were what, 15-10, 15-11, something like that? Love Joe Maddon and his teams never give up but the Sox were simply pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

This is true. The Rays had some spectacular wins though. And 15-10 in most divisions is a playoff ticket anyways.

And at least 10 of those 15 came against the Yankees and the RedSox...

Heartbroken. Again.

Yes, that's right. Mostly, truly epic collapse by sox and decent (and often very lucky) Rays.

But one could say the collapse was in part caused by the Rays. Rays won 6 out of 7 against the Sox in September.

Heartbroken. Again.

Well you may have a point but in my opinion it is light years ahead of a couple years ago when the Rays first started doing well. Not one word was said about how well they were doing, but rather things like "What is wrong with the Red Sox and Yankees???" Believe me, that gets real old real quick.

All in all I am happy with the way the tourney looks, with the exception of the Cards being in it. Would MUCH rather have had the Braves in.

Verlander had a fantastic regular season, but Valverde (AKA Papa Grande) had an equally impressive season as reliever. Now for the second season.

I think Verlander is the second best pitcher on the Tiger roster right now. The big potato (Papa Grande) has been just what we needed. The best pitcher the Tigers have? Doug Fister... now add Benoit. Let the games begin.

Yes, that's right. Mostly, truly epic collapse by sox and decent (and often very lucky) Rays.

But one could say the collapse was in part caused by the Rays. Rays won 6 out of 7 against the Sox in September.

That was absolutely a huge part. But the Orioles also beat Boston 5 of 7. Beating Boston didn't exactly require crisp, sparkling baseball.

Cripes, the last time the Red Sox won back-to-back games on separate days was something like Aug. 24-25.

I got mine for a possible Game 5 on Oct 6 (my birthday). I hate wishing for a Game 5, but it was the only one I could get the next day off for.

Anyone else going to the playoffs?

Got an extra ticket? I think it will go 5.. I think Detroit will win 3 in NY and NY will win 2 in Detroit.

Got mine a month ago! I will be there today for a 4:07 first pitch! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!! Passed, are you a gambling man???

I bet you lose!!! ( no, not a gambler ). Our starting pitcher tonight has only pitched one start in his life. He's really good though... you'll get to see him in person.

Should be a good series. You guys have kicked our asses this year (esp CJ) so I'm a little worried, yes. But we are riding a wave right now and hopefully the momentum can carry us through Arlington and on to Detroit.

I bet you lose!!! ( no, not a gambler ). Our starting pitcher tonight has only pitched one start in his life. He's really good though... you'll get to see him in person.

Should be a good series. You guys have kicked our asses this year (esp CJ) so I'm a little worried, yes. But we are riding a wave right now and hopefully the momentum can carry us through Arlington and ending at Detroit.

I'm sure this is what you meant.

Should be a good series. You guys have kicked our asses this year (esp CJ) so I'm a little worried, yes. But we are riding a wave right now and hopefully the momentum can carry us through Arlington and on to Detroit.

I'm very surprised with the Rays pitching choice tonight. I have never seen but I do hear he is really good. It should be another good series, it went all five last year! As far as gambling, I was thinking more of a beer bet than a money bet. If you're interested. I love a good beer trade!

I'm very surprised with the Rays pitching choice tonight. I have never seen but I do hear he is really good. It should be another good series, it went all five last year! As far as gambling, I was thinking more of a beer bet than a money bet. If you're interested. I love a good beer trade!

Funny, Shecky and I bet last year (6-pack). He's a boston fan. He lost, but I didn't feel good about making him pay (I gave him a pass). I don't really like to bet.

I'm really shocked that Francona left the Sox. Yeah they collapsed big time, but with all he's done I don't think he should have been pushed out. That team had a lot of problems at the end of the year, and he's saddled with a few older players who perform worse than the Yankees' older players that get passes for nostalgic reasons.

I would love it if the Yankees hired him in some capacity. Wouldn't that be a slap in the face! Although it's going to be even worse if Torre takes their job.

I'm really shocked that Francona left the Sox. Yeah they collapsed big time, but with all he's done I don't think he should have been pushed out. That team had a lot of problems at the end of the year, and he's saddled with a few older players who perform worse than the Yankees' older players that get passes for nostalgic reasons.

I would love it if the Yankees hired him in some capacity. Wouldn't that be a slap in the face! Although it's going to be even worse if Torre takes their job.

Just changing the color of his sox. From red to white.

I'm really broken up about it. Best thing to happen to Red Sox baseball in a long, long time, possibly ever.

Every other Sox manager in my lifetime I would have personally driven to the airport. But Tito is a class guy and a great manager. He'll be sorely missed, much more so than management seems to think.

I'm really shocked that Francona left the Sox. Yeah they collapsed big time, but with all he's done I don't think he should have been pushed out.

If our bench coach, Dave Martinez runs to Chicago for that coaching job, maybe Tito can come here! I'd love that. Dream coaching staff.

Sounds like a demotion, sure, but our former coach Larry Rothschild is now the Yanks pitching coach.

Ah its happened before. But he's probably going to the White Sox. That man deserves a team and he'll get it. I hope the Red sox tank for a few years now. I'd rather your team be our rivals.

Ah its happened before. But he's probably going to the White Sox. That man deserves a team and he'll get it. I hope the Red sox tank for a few years now. I'd rather your team be our rivals.

If things work out for both our teams, we'll be rivals in about a week! I honestly see us playing Detroit, but all playoff teams are good so crystal ball not clear.

Back