Tales from the crypt - brewing with "sophisticated" yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrrbt

Reaction score
Inspired by ChrissfromAbby's vintage yeast bank thread, I thought I would dig into my, shall we say, "mature" cache. My setup is pretty simple. The yeast/glycerin slurry is frozen in PET vials that are kept in a small styrofoam cooler filled with ice packs that is tucked away at the bottom of a chest freezer in my garage.

Was craving an English bitter recently and wanted to use the seemingly rarely released anymore WLP 006 - Bedford British. As I couldn't find it available for sale currently, a trip to the mausoleum was in order. The vial was originally collected and frozen on 9/4/12 - that's right, over ten years ago. On 10/3/22, little was my hope for the success of this decrepit bundle of yeasties as I cast loose them into 400ml of 1.020 starter. Stepping it up in small increments twice over the next four days on a stir plate, I saw the little buggers actually showing signs of life. Fast forward a few weeks, and last night I enjoyed a couple of pints of fine Bedford bitter.

Anyone else have success stories to share with 10+ years-old frozen yeast?

Yes, plenty, but some very sad losses using cryogenic ceramic beads @ -20°C. It's not unusual for some cells to remain viable under favourable conditions, for decades, even centuries.

Latest posts

Back