Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some degree of a controversy regarding Jack Morris and some of the other 1984 World Series Detroit Tigers not getting in.

Personally, I don't know enough about any of those player's stat to make a discussion about it, but I know at the time Trammel and Whitaker were VERY well respected by Tigers fans, and Morris was instrumental in claiming the series. I think I read the Morris also earned Championship rings with 2 other teams, so 3 World Series Rings has to count for something.

Some degree of a controversy regarding Jack Morris and some of the other 1984 World Series Detroit Tigers not getting in.

Personally, I don't know enough about any of those player's stat to make a discussion about it, but I know at the time Trammel and Whitaker were VERY well respected by Tigers fans, and Morris was instrumental in claiming the series. I think I read the Morris also earned Championship rings with 2 other teams, so 3 World Series Rings has to count for something.

Jack Morris was a workhorse. You could always pencil him in at the start of the season to bring you 200+ innings. It takes a lot of pressure off a team when he was pitching, the bullpen can relax, you don't have to worry about a breakdown, if you had a couple bad games in a row you could count on Jack to stop or slow the bleeding. He finished a lot of games which sometimes meant he would have an off inning if he had a lead. But when it was close, there were none better. Trammel was over rated, he did most of his damage when the Tigers were in the lead, and failed when they were behind. Whitaker was the opposite, he didn't seem to try as hard when the Tigers were in the lead, but he was the go to guy when the Tigers were down. All great players though. I'm dissapointed for Jack, he was deserving of the HOF.

I respectfully disagree about Morris. I remember him as a solid workhorse, a professional pitcher. You knew he was going to be a worthy opponent. But nobody feared Jack Morris. Would I want him in my team? Sure. He was a solid horse. But HOF? Nah. We wouldn't be having this discussion of not for his incredible Game 7. But one incredible game in a career of better than average shouldn't get you into Cooperstown.

I respectfully disagree about Morris. I remember him as a solid workhorse, a professional pitcher. You knew he was going to be a worthy opponent. But nobody feared Jack Morris. Would I want him in my team? Sure. He was a solid horse. But HOF? Nah. We wouldn't be having this discussion of not for his incredible Game 7. But one incredible game in a career of better than average shouldn't get you into Cooperstown.

Talking about intimidation? Because I tell you what the opposing coach feared the loss the dished out in huge games over and over.

"Fear" has no place in a legit chat about pitchers/batters.

I just saw on ESPN.com that Russell Wilson will appear in a Rangers uniform on a Topps baseball card. That sounds like a very cool collectible. Especially if he wins the Super Bowl this weekend!

This hasn't been a particularly good spring to be a Braves fan. Medlen and Beachy go down for the season before throwing a meaningful pitch. Minor got a late start to Spring, Santana was signed after the injuries so odds are the Braves will have a starting rotation for the first 2 weeks of Julio Teheran, Alex Wood, Freddy Garcia, David Hale and some other bum unless Minor or Santana is ready by the second start they'll need a 5th starter. The bummer is the way MLB makes the schedule your first month is almost all in division games. So the Braves for lack of better words B rotation gets 2 series against the Nationals. Meaning the Natinoals have a potential big swing in early season momentum.

Positive is if nothing breaks wrong the Braves rotation come mid may or early June of Minor, Santana, Floyd, Teheran and Wood. That's a heck of a rotation.

THing that the Braves need the most to win the division though, is health from Jason and Freddie. Freeman and Heyward are 2 of the better young talents in baseball, when both are playing and healthy the Braves are a force.

You have to play each team in the division 19 games so almost 1/2 (46.9%)the games are division. Last year I thought the schedule sucked, it seemed like Detroit played Chicago for a month straight. (Actually 13 of 31 games.) I like to see the different teams, if they have to play 19 then play the division foes 7 games early, 5 games mid season , 7 games each at the end. I'd like to cut it to 14 games, 4 games at the beginning, 4 games in the middle and 6 games at the end With the extra 20 games available Play the other (same) league divisions more. I'd like to see RedSox, Yankees, Tampa, more often. Screw the games on the West Coast unless they are day games. No one on the East Coast wants to watch a game that starts at 10:00 at night.

No one on the East Coast wants to watch a game that starts at 10:00 at night.

You got that right. I just can't do it. I get up at 5:30 to be at work at 7. A three hour game, which is actually a quick game these days, means I MIGHT get four and a half hours sleep. Not a chance. Too bad. Of course, if I lived in LA I'd be pissed at games being over by the time I fought my way home through the traffic.

PTN

PTN, my Son lives in California and he absolutely loves it. On weekends he can get up in the morning, eat breakfast, take care of the kids, go for a walk, watch an east coast game at 10:00 AM. Done at 1:30 pm. For the East coast games starting at 7:05, (4:05 there) he records, skips through commercials and is done at 7:30.... I have no sympathy for those in LA watching sports, the worst scenario they have is watching their own games that can last till 10:30 -11:30 local time. Which is 2:00 AM in the morning to an east coast baseball player. How about making the west coast guys play till 2:00 AM to even it out?

You have to play each team in the division 19 games so almost 1/2 (46.9%)the games are division. Last year I thought the schedule sucked, it seemed like Detroit played Chicago for a month straight. (Actually 13 of 31 games.) I like to see the different teams, if they have to play 19 then play the division foes 7 games early, 5 games mid season , 7 games each at the end. I'd like to cut it to 14 games, 4 games at the beginning, 4 games in the middle and 6 games at the end With the extra 20 games available Play the other (same) league divisions more. I'd like to see RedSox, Yankees, Tampa, more often. Screw the games on the West Coast unless they are day games. No one on the East Coast wants to watch a game that starts at 10:00 at night.

I know. The Braves first month is 3 games at Milwaukee, 3 games vs the Reds at home, then 21 games against the Nationals (6) Mets (6) Marlins (5) and Phillies (4) also 12 of the 21 games are on the road as well. Then in May the Braves have 4 division games, and 26 games against non divisional opponents. Couldn't they have balanced that a little better, move one of the nationals series one of the mets and one of the Marlins series into May and slide 3 non-divisions into April.

To make the Schedulers even more insane, the Braves have a 17 game in a row streak. Including a weird 2 and 2 series where they play Boston in Atlanta then in Boston.

Wait till you see Prince run the bases and try to slide... LOL
That's not a problem if he just hits a HR everytime! ha

Can't be any worse than watching Kinsler get picked off for not paying attention 10-12 times a year. Plus getting caught stealing at second due to a late start AND batting a .273 with 13 HR. I loved Kinsler, but I think this trade was great.

That's not a problem if he just hits a HR everytime! ha

Can't be any worse than watching Kinsler get picked off for not paying attention 10-12 times a year. Plus getting caught stealing at second due to a late start AND batting a .273 with 13 HR. I loved Kinsler, but I think this trade was great.

Thanks for the tip on Kinsler, I'll be checking him out for that. Hope you won't have to put up with Prince like I did at the end of season. I would just hope that he got the ball past the dirt of the infield. The last couple weeks I was hoping he would get the ball past the Pitcher.

Trout knocks his 3rd Jack! Let's go Angels!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

The wife and I ran into a guy tonight that had been to three of the same games one or both of us attended. The first was in 1967 that my wife was at, another game in 1968 I was at, and a game in 1976 when we were married.. pretty cool to run into another fan. More cool was the fact that my wife and I have never been able to track a game we both attended before our marriage, and this guy could..

I realize that Miggy may well be the best player in baseball, but he's 31 years old! Why in the world would Detroit give him a 10 year deal? On the bright side, I have him on my fantasy team. Maybe he play even better this year.

I realize that Miggy may well be the best player in baseball, but he's 31 years old! Why in the world would Detroit give him a 10 year deal? On the bright side, I have him on my fantasy team. Maybe he play even better this year.

I agree, I think that is far to much for a player of his age. He is in his prime, but by 37, things shuld level off. Of course, that is what they said about Big Papi.

I agree, I think that is far to much for a player of his age. He is in his prime, but by 37, things shuld level off. Of course, that is what they said about Big Papi.

The difference is Pappi doesn't play in the field. Miggy is supposed to be going back to 1st base this year. Of course, by the time he reaches 35-37, maybe he will just be a DH too.

I'm alright with the contract as long as Miggy agrees to $30M for the three years after this contract to DH, and agrees to be the Manager in 2026 for another 15M for three years. He's one of the smartest players in baseball. I'll reserve my judgement for what happens after 2029.

When you're young you want to see immediate results for the team you root for. As you get older you appreciate the process it takes to get there. 30-50 years is not a long time for a fan. Sometimes your team is not very good, Sometimes you have to sit back and enjoy what you have and savor it. I like the Ilitch approach. "We want [Cabrera] to be a Detroit Tiger when he goes into the Hall of Fame, and whatever records may be set along the way....It's very important" . read that again.... "it's very important" imagine an owner of a baseball team who cares so much for the history of the sport that he is willing to spend the money. it is very important to the owner of the Detroit Tigers that most of the future hitting records in baseball belong to a Detroit Tiger.

It's really dumb. Especially since they still had him under contract for this year and next year.

Tigers don't really care about money too much, I get it, but they just unloaded a fatty that was signed too long to sign another? Maybe Miggy is a mold breaker who ages spectacularly for a fatty, but I wouldn't put my money on it. Big men (fat or not) don't age well. Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, and Mark Teixeira are 3 recent reminders of that.

The thing with baseball is it's cruel to it's elder position players. Pitchers tend to hang around because they lose a few ticks on their FB but if they have excellent breaking stuff and control they can still get hitters out. But most hitters are relegated to bench duty pretty quickly when they stop hitting. Now that we're out of the peak steroid era, will be interesting to see the new aging curves of modern baseball practices. i'm guessing it won't be particularly positive.

Enjoyed the first night of North American baseball although I also watched the Australian version last week. I thought LAD would be 3-0 before the rest of the division played their first game. But not to be. I play a Fantasy game with the Family where I have to pick two players each day to hit, and I had three players picked for hits, I was solid on Uribe but waffled between Crawford and Gonzalez for my second pick. I took Gonzalez, should have taken Crawford... I've got Cabrerra and Martinez for the Tigers today. Anyone have a sure pick? I have till 1:00 to change. I can choose any two players playing that day, doesn't have to be the same game. Who is hot this spring?

Here's the scoop!

Miggy is still young in baseball years, for a guy who can play infield now and who can bat DH later.

Detroit is looking NOW for a Championship. Not sure if you've seen the news regarding Illitch's health, but this is a BIG DEAL to them. They are on the cusp.

Financially, the Tigers are taking a risk on Miggy, but it's not as likely to be a bad decision as you might think. They are essentially paying for 10 years, but are probably not really expecting 10 years of service. Signing a 10 year contract is merely their way of keeping him to the end of his career, and keeping the yearly payroll "reasonable" (lol)

Frankly, I think that players salaries are WAY too high. But the money bosses can worry about that. They know what the team can charge for games and concessions and still make money. I have ZERO interest in going to any games this season. Not just because of the drive. I am not willing to pay the prices they charge. TV or radio is just fine. Replay and having a good view of the pitches is better on TV.

I'm curious to see how the Tiger's late pitching is going to do this year. I am disappointed in seeing Rondon out again. I kept waiting for him to show up least season and he kept getting injured. I think he could have made a huge difference in the post season.

sj42kuqhj9h1mkiahasx.gif

I hope his mullet is ok

Back