Not enough clearance for beer out post QD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulnpiper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, new to brewing and just put my second AG batch in a keg. I have two former pinlock kegs that I bought off of CL and converted to ball locks.

They work great, but on one of them the hard rubber ring on the top is too close to the post. It's impossible to get the QD on there. You can see that the top is not completely round, it's slightly deformed and comes too close to the post.

In order to get it connected, I had to take a pipe clamp and put pressure on the ring at 90 degrees to the post and it pushes it out enough to get the QD on. Removal is the reverse.

Obviously, that makes QD, not 'quick'. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

My first thought is to take a hacksaw and cut the small section out of the handle, but since that's not reversible I wanted to see what HBT can tell me first.

Thanks!
-gary

beerpost.jpg

That shot's too tight to actually see what's going on, but if the post isn't the thing that's been bent (outward) then perhaps you could heat up the handle (hot air gun) and re-form its curve...

Cheers!

Back