Northwest ale 1332 experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomtheflame

Reaction score
Ok brewed this

Medium body mash

5lbs pilsn
4.5lbs 2row
1lbs vienna

hop Schedule

amarillo gold .5oz 60min
amarillo gold .5oz 30min
amarillo gold .5oz 10 min
2oz amarilo dry hop

and this yeast
wyeast Northwest ale 1332
fermenting temp 68f

OG 1060

man i have never seen such a krausen.

First i have just Under 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy never had too use blow off only bubbler with this og

3 days of insane activity and last night kapow repainted the ceiling and walls with hop, protein and krausen.

So decided to use a blow off dam is it ever overflowing it has filled my 1 liter (250ml star san) mason jar and overflowed in the bol i put Under the mason jar.

Has anyone used this strain and is it a crazy krausen maker or is ther some kind of infection in action here????

It is a top cropper for sure. The krausen will stay around for a long time. It will benefit with a slight raising of temps after the initial ferment is complete. That can help the krausen drop.
I just used this on a brown ale, and it came out great!

Roed Haus Brewery

It is a top cropper for sure. The krausen will stay around for a long time.

ooOOOhhHH its a top cropper for sure it would need at least 4 feet of head space ok so no infection but alot of cleaning up ;)

Should i give it a shake to drop the krausen back in the beer or leave it be....

Thanks

I love that yeast. Great flavor and it does make a big krausen. Only drawback is that it takes forever. I've had it take over a month to drop, but when it drops it does floc hard.

I pitched two packets of Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast into 24.5 litres of a pale ale with Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade hops (~37 IBUs). The fermenter is 30 litres, and I've had it filled to 27L before without any blowouts. About 36 hours into the fermentation with this one, I had a massive blowout. I've never seen such a krausen so large. It's a vigorous yeast. I should have been tipped off when I popped the nutrient pack as it was fully swollen after 3 hours whereas the other Wyeast yeasts I use take days to swell fully. I've kept the temps between 68 - 71*F. Hopefully, I end up with something good.

Solid cake, good for dark beers too... Loved it for my recent porter.

Back