Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never really looked at northern till today and placed my first order. I was always shopper of AustinHomebrew or Midwest, but their prices have to just gotten to high.

northern had good prices.. ordered two kits so we'll see how it goes.

I've been happy with MoreBeer and Austin, NB has always had a bit too much hipster for me - but I do use them...

Sent from the window of an airplane...

I always get what I order very quickly. Usually in less than a week. Customer service has always been very good when I have called with questions.

Just wanted to throw this out there:

I received NB's Oxygenation kit as a gift. Upon the first use, the regulator fell apart. I know it was a defect, as I know several people who have used theirs happily for a long time. I contacted them and sent pictures. They sent me a new regulator and a gift card for $20. Bjorn was great to deal with.

Things like this remind me why I shop there.

Protip: If you want to give a bad review for a product on northern brewer, just give it a 5-star rating and give your writeup. I even commented on the fact that it is funny that there are suspiciously *no* bad reviews for the product being reviewed and they still approved my review.

Weird how this item has a 4.5+ star average and no 3-star or worse reviews, when I gave it a 3 star review a couple months ago. The tubing is too large, so not all of your oxygen makes it down the wand. Also, the regulator seems to leak. I have to disconnect my oxygen tank between uses, otherwise the tank will drain completely. I definitely regret purchasing this item, even though with the modifications I've made, I've experienced better fermentations. I wish I had bought a different regulator. (Posted on 12/5/14)

Just wanted to let y'all know about a couple of positive experiences recently with Northern Brewer.
1st ordered a used keg that wouldn't hold pressure and was sent a new one to replace it with almost no questions asked and got to keep the other.
2nd placed an order last week that would have qualified for a free bigmouth bubbler. I emailed them and asked if I could get the fermenter and they are sending it out today.

Really thought these two experiences n weed to be shared to show what kind of people and company they seem to be.

Moved by moderator to existing Northern Brewer company review thread

2nd placed an order last week that would have qualified for a free bigmouth bubbler. I emailed them and asked if I could get the fermenter and they are sending it out today.

Those plastic big mouth bubblers are only worth being a free deal anyways. Not the best construction or lid design so watch the hot water temps and keep checking the lid tightness. That being said I have one I got free last year and currently have another free one on order, still processing from 2 days ago. Good to hear they honored the freebie for you. I have always had good dealings with them and usually who I place my supply orders with.

Northern Brewer has been reliable and their orders are accurate and well packed. It seems to me they take longer to get things to me that some other companies do. I order from them when they have a freebie that makes it worthwhile. I got a free coffee stout extract kit the last time I ordered that has turned out to be just fantastic!

But mostly I price compare and on my last few items MoreBeer was cheaper by quite a bit, and when I order from them I receive my order in 2 to 3 days max so far!

Just my two bits.

The new glass big mouth bubbler is supposed to be way better now

Those things are dangerous,defective, and have severely injured brewers.
Sure they have 17% more glass now.
To make them safe they should have 170% more glass.(if not more)
I wouldn't use one even if they sent it to me for free.

Anybody having trouble with their beta website tonight? I've been trying to put in an order for a largish amount and wanted to make sure that I could use the discount offered until midnight. Doesn't look like the website wants to take my order.

Anybody having trouble with their beta website tonight? I've been trying to put in an order for a largish amount and wanted to make sure that I could use the discount offered until midnight. Doesn't look like the website wants to take my order.

True to Northern Brewer style, they were extremely prompt in correcting things and taking care of me as their customer! I've never had any problems with them in the past and they continue to do a great job.

True to Northern Brewer style, they were extremely prompt in correcting things and taking care of me as their customer! I've never had any problems with them in the past and they continue to do a great job.

If you can't get your order in, call them and tell them what happened. I would bet my last dollar that they make it right with you!

If you can't get your order in, call them and tell them what happened. I would bet my last dollar that they make it right with you!

That's exactly what I ended up doing. They made it super easy. 5 minutes after I got off the phone with them, I got an email stating that my order had been processed.

I just wanted to give everyone a public service announcement about deceptive business practices that Northern Brewer in order to increase the perceived value of the products they sell.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to put a lot of emphasis on user reviews. If I see a product has had some bad reviews I am usually much more hesitant to purchase it. Even 1 or 2 bad reviews can sometimes put up a "red flag" for me.

At the beginning of the month I submitted a user review for the Big Mouth Bubbler. The Big Mouth Bubbler I received is incapable of making an airtight seal. It's not the end of the world but the product description included this gem:

"Your wort is protected during fermentation by innovative flared-fitting lid construction, creating an airtight seal between the lid plate and top of the fermentor."

I submitted a very reasonable review of the big mouth bubbler, detailing that it was a good idea but was not designed properly and should have included a gasket in order to create a true airtight seal. I rated the product 1 star - I felt like even though it was a good idea the product did not work properly.

A month later the review is still not on their site. After doing a little more research I discovered that other people have had the same problem.

Northern Brewer will only post reviews that reflect their products in a positive light. They will not post any reviews of products that are "negative" or have lower than 3 stars.

Looking back this makes a ton of sense. I wondered why all the reviews on Northern Brewer seemed so high. I just thought it was that they offered good products that they would stand behind.

WRONG.

They just post the good reviews. How many reviews have they refused to post - your guess is as good as mine.

What I can tell you is that ANY product you read reviews about on Northern Brewer is not going to be accurate. You are literally only getting one side of the story.

I think it's an incredibly deceptive business practice. If other people have had problems with a product I WANT TO KNOW. That's the entire point of having a review system. They are supposed to help the user make an informed decision about the product they are buying.

The way Northern Brewer is using reviews is the opposite. They are using it to misinform the customer giving them a false impression about the quality of the product. Anyways, I was pretty shocked and disgusted to find out that Northern Brewer was taking part in this incredibly deceptive business practice and I thought you guys would like to know.

As for me, I will not be using Northern Brewer to buy anything again. I refuse to support a company that would engage in such deceptive behavior.

The above post was moved here from its own, separate thread. Please feel free to add your review to this thread, but please don't only respond to this review - the reviewer is allowed her/his opinion. You may give yours, in a review. Thanks!

I have also given at least one Northern Brewer product a bad review which never showed up on their site. It was the aluminum 1 gallon pitcher, and my issue is that the volume markings are incorrect. Also, I've never received the promised merchandise credit for my reviews, good or bad.

OTOH, their service is good and they work to rectify errors immediately.

I have used Northern Brewer multiple times in the past and have never had an issue with any of the products I have received. The hardware is always as advertised and the prices are competitive. I would not hesitate to recommend them to other brewers or to use them again in the future.

Wondering if you knew which unit northern brewer uses as the priming calculator. Is it imperial, or US gallons?
Thank you.

I don't understand why they constantly make up different brand names for all their own merchandise. Edalmetal, Bubbler, DarkStar, Megapot... Why not just call it all Northern Brewer gear? It's like they're trying to trick people.

I It's like they're trying to trick people.

Umm...they are.
They (NB) imho have some VERY unethical business practices.
Because of this i will not give them my business.
I encourage others to do the same.
I am amazed that they haven't yet been sued for the defective glass BMB that they sold knowing that it was sending their paying customers to the E.R. (whilst being used properly)

I have placed about 20 orders with NB over the past several years with no major problems. Had one minor part left out of a kit once. They quickly rectified the issue without question and also sent a nice pint glass along with the part. Their customer support is excellent; both on the phone, via Email, and even chat. Website is pretty well designed and user friendly with exception of a few minor annoyances. Shipping has always been well packaged and prompt for my location (Austin Texas). I don't mind if order processing takes a few days; it's not Amazon Prime!... everyone and their instant gratification requirements these days. Most importantly, product is always fresh and of good quality. All in all, they put my LHBS to shame (price and product availability) which is really to bad.

Ordered two 15 gallon tall boy kettles and they both arrived with small dents in the bottom. Got ahold of them right away and they immediately shipped out 2 replacements, and shipping labels to send the first two back, no questions asked. Things like this Happen from time to time and the customer service was outstanding. I've had many other orders with them with no Issues. Highly recommend.

I will be missing my first brew day.
I ordered last Thursday for next Saturday's brew. The order was processed within the last hour and will get here Monday to be brewed two Saturdays from now.
I obviously didn't notice the new NB policy:
Chase T.
The flat rate shipping should have informed you of the longer shipping wait when you checked out online. We basically are easing up on the constraints of our warehouse crew so that they are not overworked each day.
Looks like I have to order further ahead or .... It's a conundrum.

I guess maybe its cause I'm a little pissed but I wanted to feel out the forum to see if this is happening to other folks too. I used to spend a good deal of time searching the supply people to get the best deals etc. A few years back I settled in on using northern Brewer almost exclusively and have literally order maybe 10s of thousands of dollars of product from them over the last couple years. The two biggest reasons have bee that their stuff got here fastest (I'm in KS and no I don't really have a LHBS) and they gave me a veterans discount. In the last 6-8 months Ive noticed a downward slide from the company. I order something on Friday I'm dang lucky to get it by the following Saturday anymore. Today I called about a order I placed on the 7th. It shipped this afternoon..Almost 8 full days to process and ship an order and what I was told is 'we are behind". You are 7 days behind in shipping product? Whose in charge if shipping..casue you sir are fired. Really sad. Began with a disastrous redesign of their website which didn't include a place to put a note with the order to get my discount so now I have to call and place the order to do that. The new site is difficult to navigate and mkes little sense when doing so. Anyway I'm venting/curous to see if anyone else seems to be having issue? Anyone know if it changed hands or something? I'm just angry and bummed about it really..

I ordered a few things from them recently and had no issues...Everything arrived in a timely fashion and was packed properly.
Not sure if you caught them on a bad stretch.

Was anything backordered? Some places won't ship an order until everything is in stock

My last two orders have arrived in their usual time frame, but the crush looks more coarse, and I've gotten much lower mash efficiency. The first two batches I figured could be me, the third I emailed. They said the crush hadn't changed. Anyone else have this issue?

I haven't ordered anything from them for quite a while. I have a new local LHBS so I get a lot of my stuff there. So, I can't say anything about their shipping recently. I have only had good experiences in the past. One problem which was resolved quickly.

I never used a note feature on my orders so that doesn't concern me. I just went and looked at the website and I like the look and feel of it a lot. I was able to locate what I was looking for easily...???....
Even during the last while that I have not been placing any orders, I have frequented their website. I find it one of the best going. So no I do not share any negative opinion of the website.

no nothing I ordered was on back order. Like I said the response I got when calling to check was "we have been behind filling orders". Ill give the website a pass I guess, it was better before though IMHO but maybe I'm just change resistant. I used to order and have it three days later consistently unless something wasnt in stock. it just seems to me I'm having worse and worse service. I may move on and try someone else but like I said the shipping always seems to be fastest from them (once its actually in the mail that is). I will agree that its extremely rare for me to get a "mistake" on my order etc although Ive had some things packed poorly that managed to make it. Once I ordered a pound of a small grain addition (maybe a pound of 10l caramel). I usualy mill my own but accidently ordered it milled. not a big deal, when it arrived the bag they sent was literally 95% husks. they sent me another free of charge. Screwed up my brew weekend but no huge loss or anything. Now that one instance is one in hundreds of orders though. Like I said they are good at getting what you ordered to you.

As an update I just got off the phone with Todd at NB and we had a very cordial talk about what was happening and has happened. Part of the problem was that with the 7.99 shipping they give you a delivery window. They were hammered last week over the holiday with flat rate shipping and my order was shipped on the last day they said it would be. Honestly I never noticed the delivery window when ordering. it is only located at checkout not on any receipt they give you but they are working on a way to resolve that to keep customers more informed. if you need something shipped the next day as an example you should choose one of the other shipping options which is usually a couple dollars more depending on what you are ordering. Kudos to NB for following up, I would have hated to start looking elsewhere. I did not need this order for a brew day so it didn't ruin anything, and in the future Ill pay more attention to what the window is etc. In short for now if you need something by the weekend and its Monday pay attention to your options at checkout.

I also had a very nice phone call with NB, James.
Not from NB, but from my cynical interpretation:
Flat rate used to be a delivery window based on UPS. Hey, if you go flat rate it is low priority for UPS. You get the UPS shipping that you pay for.
Now, NB has determined that if you choose flat rate, then it is low priority to be processed before it is ready for UPS pickup. Later orders by others paying more than flat rate will now leapfrog ahead of earlier orders by those who select flat rate.

This is correct, its not about UPS taking longer, they fill flat rate orders AFTER the "other orders"

Flat rate used to be a delivery window based on UPS. Hey, if you go flat rate it is low priority for UPS. You get the UPS shipping that you pay for.
Now, NB has determined that if you choose flat rate, then it is low priority to be processed before it is ready for UPS pickup. Later orders by others paying more than flat rate will now leapfrog ahead of earlier orders by those who select flat rate.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this, some people are willing to pay more for faster service. Compare Fedex ground to next day delivery.

What would really get me bent out of shape is if I paid the ridiculous premium for next day delivery and it took them three days to process my order.

I was told Northern Brew was bought by Midwest a couple years ago. Monday I received the wrong order from Midwest (which they did a fantastic job of correcting plus letting me keep the mis-order) Today I received an email asking if I was satisfied with the handling of their mistake. I clicked on the link and it took me to a site that had Northern Brewer in the address bar. I usually get either of their shipments 2days after I order but they have both been behind this month.

Back