Northern Brewer Surly Cynic clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
What a spectacular beer. If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to. I've brewed it 3 times and just can't believe how good it is.

I gave one to a guy I met on the golf course today. He's a retired army tank driver who spent several years in Germany. His words were "This is the best beer I've had since leaving Germany".

The co-worker I was golfing with is a Coors Light drinker. He even said he liked the beer.

Anyway. Try the beer. It's really good.

gave some to a coworker who gave it to her brother-in-law. just got a request for more, but the keg is gone... time to rebrew.

atom said:
gave some to a coworker who gave it to her brother-in-law. just got a request for more, but the keg is gone... time to rebrew.
Which clone recipe are you using?

I got the partial mash kit as a Christmas gift and going to brew it today! I made a starter with WLP550 (Belgian Ale)...
Any extra tips about brewing? Or fermentation?(temp, how long primary/secondary, etc.)

Every time I've brewed it, I fermented for 14 days at room temperature. Moved to secondary for about a month, then bottled.

I bottled the last batch on Oct 11th. I left a case alone for the 2+ months. Started drinking it last week... it was over carb'd in the bottle. I had to let it de-gas in the glass for a bit, but I'm still enjoying it.

It'll be the first beer I brew in 14.

I know this is a 10 year old thread, but wanted to share a copy of NB's recipe that is no longer available. I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow and was having trouble finding the recipe. I was able to pull it up using the "Way Back Machine".

https://web.archive.org/web/2017111...documentation/allgrain/AG-Cynic_Pro_Surly.pdf
Surly Cynic.png

Attachments

• AG-Cynic_Pro_Surly.pdf
    223.9 KB · Views: 0
Back