Northern Brewer Suppresses Negative Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JolietHomeBrew

Reaction score

I am relatively new to Home Brewing so I was kind of raw when it came to finding the right vendor for my home brew stuff. So, I selected one of the biggest names in the business – Northern Brewer. After several months of brewing with my make-shift brewery, I decided I would design, engineer and build my own nano-brewery in my basement.

I took a great deal of time reviewing all my options and vendors. I found that Blichmann Engineering manufactured several components I needed for my brewery. So I began ordering my parts.

I needed a means of measuring temperature if my wort after it passed through my plate cooler and Blichmann Engineering had what I was looking for; introducing the Blichmann Engineering “ThruMoMeter”.

I bought the ThruMometer and installed it in my system only to find that I could not get it to fit properly into my 1/2” stainless steel piping system without leaking. Long story short, I wrote to Blichmann and received nothing but excuses and lies. So I wrote a negative review about the ThruMometer and tried to publish it on the Northern Brewer website (the place where I bought the item) and Northern Brewer refused to publish the review. Instead they choose to protect the vendor, Blichmann Engineering.

My review was not spiteful, rude, inappropriate or ignorant. It simply stated that the product was not suited for all applications.

My Review:
This product is a very nice concept and works very well with regard to indicating temperature. However, it has bastard connections.

The connections are too big for 3/8" compression fittings and too small for 1/2" compression fittings. So, the option is tubing and hose clamps, right? That's what I ended up trying. However, hose clamps and tubing are not the answer when you have a pump!!

The ThruMometer connections are not serrated and therefore cannot participate in the sealing process.

The very simple solution would be to have made the connections 3/8" or 1/2" OD; then it can adapt to just about any application. Instead, you’re forced to use 3/8” ID hose and you cannot have a pump!!​

I contacted Blichmann and their Customer Support was nearly non-existent and totally usless. They lied, then blew me off when I pointed out their lies.

End review: nice product, easy to read temperature indication, fast response, but Blichmann fell way-way short of a good design and their customer assistance fell way-way short of actually assisting.

So, a word of caution to my fellow home brewers: Don’t trust the reviews you read on Northern Brewers Website. They only publish what they feel will help their sales and their bottom line. They will not publish a bad review about a product they favor.

That's a shame you've had a negative experience. I've found Northern to be stand up when I had an issue with one of their items.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Link to item to see what claims it makes as regards connections and such?

I wonder if they have some sort of policy about you need to be a customer for a certain length of time or make so many orders before you can make any reviews or something like that. I don't go through them so I don't really know. I only have done one "negative" review on another site and was wondering if they review and approve bad reviews. They posted it as I entered it and I was kind of surprised. Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Hello, fellow Illinois brewer,

I'm sorry to read that you had a bad experience with a Blichmann product. I have never used nor owned anything from Blichmann, so I can offer no possible work-arounds or advice, but I can say that there are many on this board who absolutely rave about their products. Are you part of a homebrew club down there? Maybe you could get someone with more experience to have a look at it and see if there's a way to get your investment working.

I hope all works out for you!

They may not have published it because you used the word "bastard" in the review, even though you used it in a technical sort of way.

I bought the ThruMometer and installed it in my system only to find that I could not get it to fit properly into my 1/2” stainless steel piping system without leaking.

My Review:

The connections are too big for 3/8" compression fittings and too small for 1/2" compression fittings. So, the option is tubing and hose clamps, right?

Instead, you’re forced to use 3/8” ID hose and you cannot have a pump!!​

Note the underlined portions of the above quote, and compare them to the Product Description on the Northern Brewer website, which in part states: "Requires 3/8" ID tubing."

I have no experience with either Northern Brewer or Blichmann, but in this case it appears to me that the product description matches reality. While there may be room for design improvements, there is no indication that the product failed to perform as intended.

With that said, if Northern Brewer truly does prevent negative reviews from being posted for some of the products they carry, that is a huge issue in my book. I would very much like to see a comment from Northern Brewer in this thread, and if OP still feels his review is fair, I expect to see his review posted on the product page before I even consider buying anything from Northern Brewer.

Manipulating ratings and reviews for any reason is unacceptable.

I would like to know what they said while refusing to post the review, as was mentioned earlier it might be sure top the term bastard, though it is used appropriately. But for they give a reason when they refused it?

Manipulating ratings and reviews for any reason is unacceptable.

Agreed.

OP, did they give any reason as to why they did not publish it? Did they specifically say that they were going to "protect the vendor" by not publishing or is that your own assumption?

I have an issue with someone signing up on HBT just to bash someone. You're welcome to stick around and participate in our community, but to have your first post be bashing someone isn't a great start.

We have a company review section and there is a large thread on Northern Brewer. You are welcome to add your review there. I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back