Northern Brewer Disease Susceptible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Hey all. Finally getting back into the brew game after a few year hiatus. Growing hops for the first time. I have years of experience growing vegetables so I have a lot of general knowledge going in and feel comfortable growing hops. I picked up Centennial and Norther Brewer Rhizomes on somewhat of a whim. Centennial seems pretty straight forward and shouldn't be any trouble. However I did some research on Northern Brewer and it's been described as both "well adapted" and "disease susceptible." I've also heard mention of it being heat sensitive.

I'm in zone 6. The average max temperature here during the hottest month is about 85, but it's not unusual -- even expected -- to see 90+ degree summer days. Wondering if I goofed getting this one? I mean the site I have is about ideal for hops and I plan to really baby them/grow them in raised beds but there's only so much you can do if the environment isn't right.

Anyone grow northern brewer and have any experience one way or other?

I'm in zone 6 too, Northern Brewer grows well for me but it only gets 6 hours of direct sunlight. You probably won't get as big a harvest as the Centennial but Northern Brewer is still a good grower. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back