New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I let the yeast settle in the cool basement until Sunday and then dry hop when I return (this would make 11 days in the fermenter)
This is the only logical option to be honest lol. Cold crash when you get back from vacation and then dryhop. I would hook my fermenter to a longer blow off tube into a bucket. That way no random changes in pressure or temp result in the fv to suck in any air.

I routinely wait until day 10-11 to softcrash and then dryhop

The consensus around here has been to wait until primary ferm is over, soft crash to 58 or so and then DH. Just less than a year ago people, myself included, raved about day 1 or 2 DHing for biotransformation, but seems like more people are getting better haze and less harshness by dropping the yeast out first, then DHing.

Also, research has shown that DH extraction rates are typically faster than we initially thought. 24 hours seems to be long enough, although it may make transferring a bit more difficult if you don't have the ability to cold crash.

Oh no kidding? I am on DH day 5 now, was planning on transferring to serving keg later this afternoon. I was going by what the revised recipe of the OP indicated...5-7 days.

Version 3 of my kveik hazy went in last night.
i wanted to use kveik Stranda from Whitelabs, but LHBS didn't have it.

so went Opshaug again.
fermentation at 28.5 deg C

Been playing with boil hops with these.
V1 - all whirlpool hops
whirlpool - 100g of centennial, 50g mandarina 20g chinook
biotrans - 50g centennial
dryhop - 50g loral 50g centennial 50g mandarina (and something else i can't remember)

Notes: Major hop losses, 20l into fermenter, and 15-16l into keg. huge citrus, and voss took too long to settle down.

V2 - add in some late boil hops
15g @ 15min - Columbus
whirlpool - 100g mosaic 25g galaxy
biotrans - 50g mosaic
dryhop 100g citra 50g galaxy

Notes: Great beer, tropical and fruity, good hazy IPA, but lack a little bitterness and punch. I'm putting it down to the type of hops used currently, but interested to find out what can happen when more bitterness is added.

V3 - extra additional late boil hops, lower whirlpool addition again
25g @ 15min - columbus
25g @ 5min - columbus
100g @ whirlpool - Mosaic
Biotrans - 50g motueka
dryhop - 50g mosaic & 100g motueka

my idea is to see what i can get out of the boil hop and make it juicy without overloading the whirlpool additions.

V4 plan is for the following:
1. follow either V2 or V3 based on taste & bitterness
2. biotrans hops variation aim to split the 50g into 2 additions, 1 at pitch day, the other 36 hours later
3. 150g of chosen hop for dryhop

Grain bill has remained the same throughout -
5kg pilsner malt
1kg flaked oats
1kg wheat
250g acidulated for pH

Happy to post up results in about 10 days
Kveik takes me 10 days grain to glass

UPDATE TIME: A little late to the party but none the less here's my take.

Version 3.0 - Bitterness is almost perfect for what I like, the columbus has a nice resiny dankness which sits in the background.
Hop character is tropical and fruity, and the Opshaug lends a nice clean beer, I under pitched this one, so I'm pleasantly surprised that there are minimal esters (Picture attached). DE000356-F3B5-4114-8CC8-88A62599A291.JPG

In relation to the Hop Character, this still needs a little work, but it's much closer to where I want it to be. I'm enjoying the Opshaug, which Ithink will stay once I get the beer where I want it to be. Hops ae TBC for V4.0.

Version 4.0 will be brewed in about a month I reckon. Same yeast, and grain bill. Tempting to use the same or similar hops, but keen to keep playing with hop varieties as well.
V4.0 will be same as V3.0, but the dryhop timings will change.
25g @ pitch
25g 24 hours later
150g 4 days prior to kegging (20C)

Will update again once I've brewed Version 4.0

Oh no kidding? I am on DH day 5 now, was planning on transferring to serving keg later this afternoon. I was going by what the revised recipe of the OP indicated...5-7 days.
OP hasn't posted in ages. Just going by what the regulars have settled on recently, with the help of published articles and personal experiences. DH extraction rates are seemingly much faster than previously thought.

Brewed an 8.4% New England on Saturday, first time using a total of 9oz of hops (2oz each of Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Idaho 7 and 1 oz of Centennial) in the whirlpool and will be doing 6-7oz in the dry hop (same hop combo). Using Imperial's Juice again and forgot how active it can be. Woke up to a hop-cano yesterday Morning that took a good hour to clean up and attach a blowoff tube till I got home from work.

Contacted Yakima about the horrible smell off the 2020 Galaxy I opened the other day. Just got a fedEx tracking email. They've sent me another pound. Really impressed with their customer service. Hopefully this brew wont be a total drain pour. Does weird smells off hops usually transfer into the beer? Never had hops smell so bad when I opened them. Really shouldn't have used them.

Contacted Yakima about the horrible smell off the 2020 Galaxy I opened the other day. Just got a fedEx tracking email. They've sent me another pound. Really impressed with their customer service. Hopefully this brew wont be a total drain pour. Does weird smells off hops usually transfer into the beer? Never had hops smell so bad when I opened them. Really shouldn't have used them.

Did you use the whole pound or chuck the rest? I’ve had some very oniony ctz turn into beautifully smelling with a little bit of oxygen exposure. I know it’s counter intuitive, but I went from using them to bitter only to normal usage

First pull off of my first batch of NEIPA. I called it a milkshake NEIPA as I added 1# of lactose. I am far from a critic, but I'd say it is on par with Voodoo Ranger Hazy Juicy IPA and Space Pegasus. I am sure others with more refined palettes would pick it apart but I am happy with it so far. Best batch I have made to date so there's something to be said for that!

Attachments

• Milkshake NEIPA.JPEG
    Milkshake NEIPA.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Did you use the whole pound or chuck the rest? I’ve had some very oniony ctz turn into beautifully smelling with a little bit of oxygen exposure. I know it’s counter intuitive, but I went from using them to bitter only to normal usage
No, I vacuum sealed them and put them back in the freezer. The broccoli smell did calm down a bit when I had the pack opened so maybe I'll take you're advise and open them up. Got nothing to loose at this stage. I'll know in the next couple of weeks how it's impacted the beer.

No, I vacuum sealed them and put them back in the freezer. The broccoli smell did calm down a bit when I had the pack opened so maybe I'll take you're advise and open them up. Got nothing to loose at this stage. I'll know in the next couple of weeks how it's impacted the beer.

Actually, that might do the trick with a little time. I also vac seal, leaving them in the Mylar bag, so I can use that zip seal in addition to the vacuum. Also Mylar is less permeable than the normal food saver bags. Even With both of those and being frozen they got enough o2 to calm down

Kegged last friday, it was much brighter then, now after almost week it has lost its bright fruity yellow color and started to brown 😭

So it seems that it had gotten badly oxynated. Or is the first pour just some trub, hope so?

One question more. After around 14 days i kegged this, it tastes raw atm, but in what temp i should let it rest to get ready? I force carbonated it and placed strait to keginator at 3 celsius / 38f, was this a mistake?

Last time I bottled this and let it rest 2-3 weeks in room temperature and it was one of the best beers I have made. Can you do the same thing with kegs? Just burb out oxygen and just let the keg stay in room temp?

Attachments

• IMG-20200902-WA0034.jpeg
    IMG-20200902-WA0034.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG-20200828-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20200828-WA0018.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 94
Kegged last friday, it was much brighter then, now after almost week it has lost its bright fruity yellow color and started to brown 😭

So it seems that it had gotten badly oxynated. Or is the first pour just some trub, hope so?

One question more. After around 14 days i kegged this, it tastes raw atm, but in what temp i should let it rest to get ready? I force carbonated it and placed strait to keginator at 3 celsius / 38f, was this a mistake?

Last time I bottled this and let it rest 2-3 weeks in room temperature and it was one of the best beers I have made. Can you do the same thing with kegs? Just burb out oxygen and just let the keg stay in room temp?
Are those pics recent or when you kegged? How's the aroma? Definitely sounds like oxidation, but your pics look good. That's a nice light straw hazy neipa. My first pour usually has settlement, but it routinely looks that light in color.

When did you dry hop, and at what temp? Force carbing and crashing to 38 is a good thing, especially after 2 weeks of primary.

Kegging is the way to go with this style beer. Def purge keg of O2, but I would keep the keg COLD.

Last edited:
Are those pics recent or when you kegged? How's the aroma? Definitely sounds like oxidation, but your pics look good. That's a nice light straw hazy neipa. My first pour usually has settlement, but it routinely looks that light in color.

When did you dry hop, and at what temp? Force carbing and crashing to 38 is a good thing, especially after 2 weeks of primary.

Kegging is the way to go with this style beer. Def purge keg of O2, but I would keep the keg COLD.

Second picture was just when keged, first one was yesterday. So there is some color change. Aroma is great, taste is littlebit raw. Hazyness is spot on, lets hope color was only for the settlement. I just have to keep tasting and taking notes on the color :bigmug:

thank you all for the tips in this thread. really has been instrumental in getting my IPAs to a place i'm happy with!

a lot of processes of the big names in this space have already been mentioned (equilibrium, other half, treehouse, verdant, etc) but a standout brewer (to me, at least) that i haven't seen mentioned here yet is root + branch. i've been trying to figure out exactly what sets them apart to my palate. i don't think its solely hop character. there's a richness to the body and mouthfeel that is similar to but distinct from other half's "oat cream" IPAs which has led me to suspect the secret is hiding in their mysterious so-called "multi-oat/wheat" grist. i'm sure the composition of it varies from beer-to-beer in practice, but i did find some potential clues while scouring old instagram posts:

1) they tend to favor an "oat forward" composition (perhaps suggesting the OH oat cream grist would be a good starting place?)
2) are these raw unmalted wheat berries?
3) in at least one beer "multi-oat/wheat" referred to flaked + malted oats, as well as raw + flaked wheat
4) in at least one beer the "multi-oat/wheat" part of the grist was nearly 70%

anyone have any insight to add to help brainstorm a root+branch-inspired mash? i think i'm most interested in experimenting with raw wheat. curious to see what it might offer that would be distinct from flaked wheat.

Last edited:
thank you all for the tips in this thread. really has been instrumental in getting my IPAs to a place i'm happy with!

a lot of processes of the big names in this space have already been mentioned (equilibrium, other half, treehouse, verdant, etc) but a standout brewer (to me, at least) that i haven't seen mentioned here yet is root + branch. i've been trying to figure out exactly what sets them apart to my palate. i don't think its solely hop character. there's a richness to the body and mouthfeel that is similar to but distinct from other half's "oat cream" IPAs which has led me to suspect the secret is hiding in their mysterious so-called "multi-oat/wheat" grist. i'm sure the composition of it varies from beer-to-beer in practice, but i did find some potential clues while scouring old instagram posts:

1) they tend to favor an "oat forward" composition (perhaps suggesting the OH oat cream grist would be a good starting place?)
3) in at least one beer "multi-oat/wheat" referred to flaked + malted oats, as well as raw + flaked wheat
4) in at least one beer the "multi-oat/wheat" part of grist was nearly 70%

anyone have any insight to add to help brainstorm a root+branch-inspired mash? i think i'm most interested in experimenting with raw wheat. curious to see what it might offer that would be distinct from flaked wheat.
Do you know if they got a mash filter. Otherwise such high adjuncts grists seem unlikely

Do you know if they got a mash filter. Otherwise such high adjuncts grists seem unlikely
i don't know, but i'm inclined to believe they aren't lying and figured out a way to make it work for them :)

personally i was thinking i'd be able to try out something like this in a biab mash without trouble (other than the likely reduced mash efficiency)

i don't know, but i'm inclined to believe they aren't lying and figured out a way to make it work for them :)

personally i was thinking i'd be able to try out something like this in a biab mash without trouble (other than the likely reduced mash efficiency)

Root and branch mostly contracts out of great South Bay brewing...which is a pretty large facility.

They are building their own place but I imagine that’s been hampered by the virus.

Note one of the Co owners is also the head of brewery operations for evil twin as well.

Not sure any of that means they have a mash filter or not tho

4) in at least one beer the "multi-oat/wheat" part of the grist was nearly 70%

They could be using unmalted grains which require extra mashing steps and you could research hefeweizen articles on how to work with those, but here's my question. Can you confirm which yeast they use?

Although certain kinds of oat can impact a bit of character, in my experience, yeast adds much more character. And not only yeast selection, I'm talking temperature, length, and pitch rate.

I read the post it states malted and flaked so with the majority being malted it should be possible yeah. Long mash day

Just getting back into the game of brewing after a few year hiatus. I don't want to read this 322 page thread, (I started, but I have kids). Anyway is the original recipe still awesome? I assume it's a safe bet? Going to pick up ingredients tomorrow.

Just getting back into the game of brewing after a few year hiatus. I don't want to read this 322 page thread, (I started, but I have kids). Anyway is the original recipe still awesome? I assume it's a safe bet? Going to pick up ingredients tomorrow.
If you look at the updates/edits on that original post, the OP has linked to the newest recipe that he settled on (which is buried somewhere in the middle of these hundreds of pages). I just brewed it (his third version) a week ago and will report back in another week or two with tasting updates.

My observations after following this thread for several weeks and reading big chunks of it... As far as I can tell, it is a solid recipe and seems to align pretty closely with what people are doing now. It is a little dated (compared to the most current trends here) and OP hasn't been active here lately, that I know of. If you want to make adjustments, you might consider using a different water profile, based on your preferences. Some people tend to use less adjuncts, so I guess that is also a personal choice. Whirlpool hops added at 160-170°F. Also, it seems that some people are starting to move away from the active fermentation biotransformation hops and instead dry hopping after fermentation has finished and following a soft crash. Consider some of the other fruity hops out there like some of the New Zealand hops. Look at what some of your favorite breweries put out there as far as hops, grain bill, water profile, etc.

And maybe most importantly, make sure you follow all of the steps for eliminating contact with oxygen after primary fermentation has finished, while transferring, kegging, etc so you don't end up with brown oxidized IPA (BOIPA?)

How about favorite(s) to pair with Strata? I recently bought 8oz and I'm trying to decide a hop or two to pair with it for this recipe. First, and only, time I brewed this I totaled around 12 or 13oz of hops.
I’ve just brewed a beer with Idaho 7 Stratta and Citra and its amazing. But its really about what you wanna pull out of it. If you want to pull more of the joint smoke out, I’d pair it with a dank hop but if you want to pull out some more fruity characteristics then with Citra or similar.

strata is a great hop and def will become a staple like Citra, mosaic,Galaxy, & etc.

I’ve just brewed a beer with Idaho 7 Stratta and Citra and its amazing. But its really about what you wanna pull out of it. If you want to pull more of the joint smoke out, I’d pair it with a dank hop but if you want to pull out some more fruity characteristics then with Citra or similar.

strata is a great hop and def will become a staple like Citra, mosaic,Galaxy, & etc.
I have 8oz plus of each of the following: Azacca, Sorachi Ace, El Dorado, Galaxy, and Strata.
Also a small amount of Citra, Mosaic, Idaho7, and Rakau. Plus several one or two oz packages of various buttering hops.

A year or two ago I brewed a non-hazy, tropical ipa with Citra and Idaho7. It was delicious.

If you want to pull more of the joint smoke out, I’d pair it with a dank hop but if you want to pull out some more fruity characteristics then with Citra or similar.
Tell me more about this...

I'd like to brew a session ipa that smells like dank buds/joint smoke/skunk. Maybe something kinda like Oskar Blues Pinner but more. Would a Columbus/Strata combination get me close?

Tell me more about this...

I'd like to brew a session ipa that smells like dank buds/joint smoke/skunk. Maybe something kinda like Oskar Blues Pinner but more. Would a Columbus/Strata combination get me close?
Definitely would think that Columbus/Strata or Summit/Strata Would get you there. Also Apollo/Strata Possibly even mosiac/strata

Thanks, guys! While staying true to the spirit of this thread, how would you hop a danky session beer with those hops (Strata/Columbus/Apollo/Summit)? A healthy whirlpool addition with two or three of those? Dry hops? Any bittering hops?

I don't want to read this 322 page thread,

Ha.... I was thinking the same thing as I was trying to catch up on anything new in the thread :) Just gotten busy over the past year (still brewing steady). But, between my job (teaching/coaching) and my too many hobbies (gardening, sourdough baking, fermenting veggies, etc) I just haven't had time to keep up.... and, honestly, I have not had a lot to add to the original process - still pretty much what I do.
For what it is worth, I still basically use the guidelines I posted in "Edit #2" which is linked in the OP. I would say one thing is I tend to keep the pH lower than what I originally did. I used to let it float a little higher 5.35-5.40.... I pretty much always keep it at 5.30 now - not that it probably matters that much. But, as far as a starting point, that second edit recipe and variations are pretty much exactly what I still do when it comes time to put an IPA in the fermenter.
:mug:

Going for the trifecta today - Fermented bread, fermented peppers and hoping to get a beer brewed as well :)
118379159_3333709416685514_7777442692804988462_n.jpg
bread.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! While staying true to the spirit of this thread, how would you hop a danky session beer with those hops (Strata/Columbus/Apollo/Summit)? A healthy whirlpool addition with two or three of those? Dry hops? Any bittering hops?

Depends a bit on your interpretation of “session”... we talking 4.5% light bodied, on the drier side? Or more like 5% packed with hop flavor and aroma but low in ABV?

Just measured out ingredients for my Strata/I7 brew tomorrow. I’m not getting much dank out of my strata and it actually smells much less intense than the Idaho 7. But man, it smells good! This hop is definitely going to become a classic.

Recipe is inspired by the Tree House Bright series.
93.4% Fawcett Pearl
6.6% Briess Aromatic

30 min boil (to keep thermal stress down due to the long whirlpool/plus it saves time)
45IBU Yakima Extract @ 30 min
Strata/I7 whirlpool & dry hop

US-05 (really my first time using 05 since I’ve gotten my process dialed in)

Going with a water profile of about 100ppm calcium, 200ppm Cl, 80ppm SO4, and the other minerals will fall where they fall.

Just measured out ingredients for my Strata/I7 brew tomorrow. I’m not getting much dank out of my strata and it actually smells much less intense than the Idaho 7. But man, it smells good! This hop is definitely going to become a classic.

Recipe is inspired by the Tree House Bright series.
93.4% Fawcett Pearl
6.6% Briess Aromatic

30 min boil (to keep thermal stress down due to the long whirlpool/plus it saves time)
45IBU Yakima Extract @ 30 min
Strata/I7 whirlpool & dry hop

US-05 (really my first time using 05 since I’ve gotten my process dialed in)

Going with a water profile of about 100ppm calcium, 200ppm Cl, 80ppm SO4, and the other minerals will fall where they fall.

Have you used that malt combo before?

Might end up a bit “Malty”... A little Aromatic goes a long way and Pearl definitely has a lot more malt character than most base malts.

Have you used that malt combo before?

Might end up a bit “Malty”... A little Aromatic goes a long way and Pearl definitely has a lot more malt character than most base malts.

I did a 100% Pearl malt for my last NEIPA to a similar OG. It was good, but I didn’t find it to be THAT complex on its own. Not like Barke Pils/Golden Promise/Maris Otter. I do like my NEIPA’s to have more character from the base beer than a lot of brewers.

That said, I haven’t used aromatic before. So, I may end up cutting it in half when I measure grain later.

Edit: Decided to back the Aromatic down to 5% and use 3% Flaked oats. Balance Pearl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back