New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a lb of Sabro and I know some of ya have used it in small doses. I usually hop at around 2 oz/gal in my NeIPAs. I have Ella, Vic Secret, Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic (all 2019). What combo would you all use with Sabro?

Depends on how they smell. Open and smell each bag before you decide or take anyone’s advice. Hops can be all over the map especially Mosaic.

Ella is really cool. Don’t use it hotside but the character cold side is cool. Really bright “refreshing” tropical. No dank or pungent notes.

Vic Secret is very pungent...pineapple and pine forward. I’ve never gotten “strawberry” nor seen that as a description. I’ve heard people say Eucalyptus quite a bit. Again minimal usage on the hotside.

Galaxy is crazy powerful, but I might say Sabro is even more so.

Galaxy/Vic Secret and a bit of Sabro maybe.

Don’t dry hop during fermentation with any Australian Hop. It so easy to get never ending hop burn. The hops are so tropical and fruity on their own. I find Galaxy is best around 58-60 DH temp. Way less weird flavors and straight candied passion fruit.

A local brewery made what they called a ‘New England Lager’ where I assumed they brewed what would have been a neipa and then fermented with a lager yeast. They added locally produced fruit juice to the brew as well. It was hazy, juicy, fruity but also dry and smashable like a lager.

So I decided to try my hand at making something similar and I’m over the moon with the result. We’re lucky enough to have a few shops that sell the same fruit juice nearby.

70% Golden Promise
18% Rolled Oats
12% White Wheat

60 Minute Boil

50gm Mosaic @ Flameout

OG 1.050

2pkg W34/70 Rehydrated @ 11C (52F)

2L 100% Apple & Mango Juice

110gm Galaxy @ Day 10
70gm Citra @ Day 10
70gm Mosaic @ Day 10

FG 1.012

The final product is delicious. It has the obvious lager character but it is hazy and juicy with the fruit juice playing a great supporting role with a subtle yet noticeable mango undertone. This looks like something I’m going to brew a lot of in the future.

View attachment 659432

any info on the brewery and the beer?

Depends on how they smell. Open and smell each bag before you decide or take anyone’s advice. Hops can be all over the map especially Mosaic.

Ella is really cool. Don’t use it hotside but the character cold side is cool. Really bright “refreshing” tropical. No dank or pungent notes.

Vic Secret is very pungent...pineapple and pine forward. I’ve never gotten “strawberry” nor seen that as a description. I’ve heard people say Eucalyptus quite a bit. Again minimal usage on the hotside.

Don’t dry hop during fermentation with any Australian Hop. It so easy to get never ending hop burn. The hops are so tropical and fruity on their own. I find Galaxy is best around 58-60 DH temp. Way less weird flavors and straight candied passion fruit.
I do get other notes from Vic Secret as you mentioned but it just has a weird note in there for me whether i use it or in commercially made beers with it... Here is a review from Janish describing a single hop Vic Secret beer he made...I can fully relate to these descriptors as maybe he has put into better terms than I previously did...

"I described this AU Vic Secret beer as slightly more earthy/vegetal than fruity. Little bit of a hop spice character. The fruity aspects of the aroma reminded me most of pineapple (core), peaches, green fruit loops (candied fruits) with a strawberry sweetness quality to the aroma."

http://scottjanish.com/au-vic-secret-on-rye/

I've actually made a new england with that exact same hop combo...it came out very nice..I don't think youll be dissapointed...have you had strata by itself?

I've never had an all-Strata beer, but 9 out of 10 times when I LOVE a new NEIPA, I look up the hops and they are using Strata! Probably my all-time favorite NEIPA is Spirit Foul, a collab between Modern Times and Fair State. They use some Strata, which to my palate gives the kind of dank or slightly overripe fruit note that I like in a NEIPA.

Fingers crossed that my popped fermenter lid (from the krausen/fermention) didn't ruin the beer. My Tilt is also showing an apparent FG of 1.024 right now, against my goal of 1.020, but Tilt isn't that great at measuring FG. I bet I am actually under 1.020, but we'll see in a few more days when I measure with the old-school hydrometer. I do tend to bitter on the higher end for the style, so if it really is 1.024 perhaps I will be OK...

I’ve got a Citra, Ella, Vic Secret beer on tap. Leaning towards Mosaic, Galaxy, Sabro. Awhile back you had mentioned a threshold of Sabro, like where it was good vs where it got crazy and overpowering. Do you remember what that hopping rate was?

If I remember correctly Sabro threshold is around 15-20% of the total hop bill. I just did a 6oz dryhop using 3oz Motueka, 2oz Simcoe, 1oz Sabro. I’m going to report back results.

I've never had an all-Strata beer, but 9 out of 10 times when I LOVE a new NEIPA, I look up the hops and they are using Strata! Probably my all-time favorite NEIPA is Spirit Foul, a collab between Modern Times and Fair State. They use some Strata, which to my palate gives the kind of dank or slightly overripe fruit note that I like in a NEIPA.

Fingers crossed that my popped fermenter lid (from the krausen/fermention) didn't ruin the beer. My Tilt is also showing an apparent FG of 1.024 right now, against my goal of 1.020, but Tilt isn't that great at measuring FG. I bet I am actually under 1.020, but we'll see in a few more days when I measure with the old-school hydrometer. I do tend to bitter on the higher end for the style, so if it really is 1.024 perhaps I will be OK...

An interesting note on Strata. Last year was the first year it was in any sort of full scale production. I’ve used a decent amount of it since it was just experimental X331 and it’s always been awesome. Bought a bunch of it on eBay last year and it was good but a little grassy. Just yesterday I opened the 1/2# bag I bought from YVH and it was horrible, literally nothing like the Strata I’ve been using for a while. The worst onion/garlic/burning rubber I’ve maybe ever experienced. No way I would ever put that in a beer. It went right in the trash. Same with a pound of 2019 Sterling I just got from them. So terrible I couldn’t imagine using it in a beer. I swear the worst hops I buy always come from YVH. I’ve probably thrown away $75-$100 worth of hops from them in the last year or so.

An interesting note on Strata. Last year was the first year it was in any sort of full scale production. I’ve used a decent amount of it since it was just experimental X331 and it’s always been awesome. Bought a bunch of it on eBay last year and it was good but a little grassy. Just yesterday I opened the 1/2# bag I bought from YVH and it was horrible, literally nothing like the Strata I’ve been using for a while. The worst onion/garlic/burning rubber I’ve maybe ever experienced. No way I would ever put that in a beer. It went right in the trash. Same with a pound of 2019 Sterling I just got from them. So terrible I couldn’t imagine using it in a beer. I swear the worst hops I buy always come from YVH. I’ve probably thrown away $75-$100 worth of hops from them in the last year or so.
Who is your most reliable supplier?

I’m shocked you’ve had such bad experiences with YVH. Out of all the lbs ive purchased through them over the years, I’ve gotten one terrible bag of mosaic that was pure onion and garlic.

I gave my 8 oz Strata bag a quick sniff and it seemed OK, but now wishing I would have checked it a little closer...

I’ve got a Citra, Ella, Vic Secret beer on tap. Leaning towards Mosaic, Galaxy, Sabro. Awhile back you had mentioned a threshold of Sabro, like where it was good vs where it got crazy and overpowering. Do you remember what that hopping rate was?
I would say if you are not familiar with it maybe throw in 3oz or 2oz at least so you can definately pick up on it. I dont use more then 1oz in my recipe as it overpowers quickly and im not always a big fan of the coconut note it gives. Depends what ur aiming for I guess.. It also lends to mouthfeel.

Please don't say that. Just did my second round of keg hopping yesterday with Citra and 2019 Strata from Yakima Valley hops. Thought the smell from the bag was awesome but as SRJHOPS says I wish I payed a little closer attention. Dont want to open the bag to double check. Did 6oz dry hop in the fermenter and then another 6oz keg hop yesterday. Aroma and taste after the first dry hop wasn't anything special if I'm being honest. Hopefully the second does beef things up a bit.

Hydro sample went down smooth! So far so good! I dry hopped 6oz at day 12 after soft crashing for 2 day’s. I got the beer off the hops after only 36 hours, fingers crossed. This is by far my shortest dry hop attempt, beer taste pretty smooth but expecting more hop aroma. Could be cause beer is not carbonated fully yet.

3oz Motueka
2oz Simcoe
1oz Sabro
IMG_8423.JPG

Last edited:
If the hops you got smelled great then I wouldn’t worry. The stuff I got was blatantly bad, really bad. Impossible not to know right away.

When it was x331 I got it from Farmhouse. It was always awesome. Didn’t get it from YVH last year I don’t think. Bought a bunch of it from the one vendor on eBay last year though. It was decent, not amazing. I didn’t buy it from Hops Direct this year when they still had it in stock. Recently fortunate to get some hand selected stuff from a friend that’s been great. He said they rubbed like 15 lots and they were all very similar and all superb.

Must have got some from a really late harvest lot??

Being a rookie I got YVH 2018 Sabro/Simcoe but the Motueka was from 2019. Seems a little lacking out of the package but I chalked it up to being frozen. This was my first purchase from YVH and made it to my door in 4 days.

I’m wanting the coconut from the Sabro to help tame the lemon/lime of the Motueka.

I DH this one with 2019 Citra, Galaxy, Sabro 2:1:1 oz in a 3 gallon batch. (I used 2017 mosaic in the WP from the original packaging YVH) Was going to use a24 but I guess I threw out my culture, so I used hornindal Kveik last minute. It turned out really good! Super juicy with a orange Julius thing going on. Orange from the Kveik and a touch of coconut cream from the Sabro. The Kveik took it down to 1.015 making it 8% , will probably bring that down a tad next time so I can drink more than two!
upload_2020-1-12_10-20-11.jpeg

I DH this one with 2019 Citra, Galaxy, Sabro 2:1:1 oz in a 3 gallon batch. (I used 2017 mosaic in the WP from the original packaging YVH) Was going to use a24 but I guess I threw out my culture, so I used hornindal Kveik last minute. It turned out really good! Super juicy with a orange Julius thing going on. Orange from the Kveik and a touch of coconut cream from the Sabro. The Kveik took it down to 1.015 making it 8% , will probably bring that down a tad next time so I can drink more than two!
View attachment 661562
How did you dry hop and transfer?
I've had problems with hornindal making yeast rafts floating and plugging the transfer.

I've had problems with hornindal making yeast rafts floating and plugging the transfer.

I ferment in a keg with the CBDS with the optional screen that covers the pick up. Ferment for 5 days (by then the Kveik has been done for a while) Let it drop to room temp, open up the keg, dump in the hops and purge the head space. Let it sit another day or so (around day 6-7) then into the 40* keezer for 48 hours, then jump it to a water purged keg.
I have had clogs with this procedure until I switched to a full 48 hour cold crash before transfer.

Last edited:
Really? I feel like kviek strains are some of the best floccing yeast strains out there. Especially Hornindal. Since you said orange esters I figure you’re talking about Voss. Voss is still pretty good floccing ability

Really? I feel like kviek strains are some of the best floccing yeast strains out there. Especially Hornindal. Since you said orange esters I figure you’re talking about Voss. Voss is still pretty good floccing ability
Naw, I was talking about hornindal. I always get a “sweet orange” flavor from it, very reminiscent of those bags of cuties, I guess those are more of a tangerine or clementine. I also get a generic fruity peachy note. The first beer I make with it was a raw ale made with eastern red cedar branches (steeped and used as a mash tun filter) and it tasted like a Christmas tree mixed with a candied orange peel panettone lol.

Naw, I was talking about hornindal. I always get a “sweet orange” flavor from it, very reminiscent of those bags of cuties, I guess those are more of a tangerine or clementine. I also get a generic fruity peachy note. The first beer I make with it was a raw ale made with eastern red cedar branches (steeped and used as a mash tun filter) and it tasted like a Christmas tree mixed with a candied orange peel panettone lol.
I’ve always gotten pineapple from Hornindal and orange from voss.

I’ve always gotten pineapple from Hornindal and orange from voss.
I can see that. I only used Voss once and the beer had a lemon-lime and grapefruit aroma that was borderline artificial tasting. I should go back and revisit it, could have definitely been some sort of error on my part.

View attachment 661562
Nice, I thought about a24 but couldn’t find any locally. Just racked a 1318 beer so I went with Hornindal. Changed the hop combo to Mosaic, Ella, and Sabro.

Also had 5 lbs of honey from my in laws that went into the BK...we shall see **fingers crossed**

Yes, I mailed omega about it. It doesnt always do this according to them. But in my experience when it does and even if you use a CBD with filter, you can get plugs.
I gave up on hornindal after that.

I ferment in a keg with the CBDS with the optional screen that covers the pick up. Ferment for 5 days (by then the Kveik has been done for a while) Let it drop to room temp, open up the keg, dump in the hops and purge the head space. Let it sit another day or so (around day 6-7) then into the 40* keezer for 48 hours, then jump it to a water purged keg.
I have had clogs with this procedure until I switched to a full 48 hour cold crash before transfer.
Thats my setup as well. I should try again with a more thorough crash. Tnks

Did you try dry hopping at higher temps? I got a distinct hop character out of my mosaic. Only can describe it as super over ripe fruit when dry hopping at 35c + temps. Allthough I preffered lower temp mosaic, I think this one of the more interesting things that can be done with kveik yeasts.

Last edited:
I'll be trying my hand at a recipe posted by The Mad Fermentationist - his Rings of Light recipe. If I did my calculations correctly, for a 5 gallon batch, it's about 3oz of Cascade and 3oz of Columbus in the whirlpool and then 5-6oz of Citra in the dry hop. 2-Row, Chit Malt(i'll sub for carafoam) and oats. I haven't used columbus before so this will be interesting.

I'll be trying my hand at a recipe posted by The Mad Fermentationist - his Rings of Light recipe. If I did my calculations correctly, for a 5 gallon batch, it's about 3oz of Cascade and 3oz of Columbus in the whirlpool and then 5-6oz of Citra in the dry hop. 2-Row, Chit Malt(i'll sub for carafoam) and oats. I haven't used columbus before so this will be interesting.

Here's my rendition of Rings of Light (attached) -- I loved it. It has served as a guide on many Hazy's i've made since then -- lower ABV and cheaper hops in the WP. Per Mike's recommendation I subbed Chit malt out for Carafoam and flaked barley.

Attachments

• RINGS OF LIGHT Oct 2018 - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 61
I love Columbus both in boil, whirlpool, and a touch in dryhop. I actually just brewed a Triple NEIPA this weekend using Columbus for my boil hops. ICan’t wait to see how it plays with the two NZ varieties I paired with it

Here's my rendition of Rings of Light (attached) -- I loved it. It has served as a guide on many Hazy's i've made since then -- lower ABV and cheaper hops in the WP. Per Mike's recommendation I subbed Chit malt out for Carafoam and flaked barley.
Question, I see you have Comet listed but Columbus in parenthesis; did you sub one for the other then?

Yes, I mailed omega about it. It doesnt always do this according to them. But in my experience when it does and even if you use a CBD with filter, you can get plugs.
I gave up on hornindal after that.

Thats my setup as well. I should try again with a more thorough crash. Tnks

Did you try dry hopping at higher temps? I got a distinct hop character out of my mosaic. Only can describe it as super over ripe fruit when dry hopping at 35c + temps. Allthough I preffered lower temp mosaic, I think this one of the more interesting things that can be done with kveik yeasts.

I did DH warm once trying to pull off a 4 day turn around. I can’t remember the hops I used but it did have a over ripe kinda sweaty aroma I wasn’t a huge fan of.

Also, I stopped spunding and/or force carbing the fermentation kegs before transfer because it would kick up yeast and hops around the last gallon or so and clog the transfer.

I did DH warm once trying to pull off a 4 day turn around. I can’t remember the hops I used but it did have a over ripe kinda sweaty aroma I wasn’t a huge fan of.

Also, I stopped spunding and/or force carbing the fermentation kegs before transfer because it would kick up yeast and hops around the last gallon or so and clog the transfer.

i think i’m coming to the conclusion i like over-ripe and sweaty dry hop character

So i hate to throw one of those “what should i do” posts but trying to decide a hazy hop schedule with some weird parameters. This is for about 50gal batch.

the givens are about 1.5/bbl of sabro in the whirlpool, and then about 1/2#/bbl of citra and Amarillo each in dry hop.

The choice is about the 1.5/bbl dry hop- Trying to decide between idaho gem, topaz or azzacca.

what say you?

So i hate to throw one of those “what should i do” posts but trying to decide a hazy hop schedule with some weird parameters. This is for about 50gal batch.

the givens are about 1.5/bbl of sabro in the whirlpool, and then about 1/2#/bbl of citra and Amarillo each in dry hop.

The choice is about the 1.5/bbl dry hop- Trying to decide between idaho gem, topaz or azzacca.

what say you?
I’d go Azacca. If you get some pineapple from it could help elevate the tropical fruit vibe with sabro

I'd agree with @Dgallo...Azzaca seems like the best fit to me...could go for like a citrus pina colada...[emoji482]

what say you?

pineapple could be good. was planning on using conan. i know its mostly stone fruit but some folks say they get pineapple too, could be nice match. hopefully the citra and amarillo can impart enough citrus to give it a little brightness.

pineapple could be good. was planning on using conan. i know its mostly stone fruit but some folks say they get pineapple too, could be nice match. hopefully the citra and amarillo can impart enough citrus to give it a little brightness.
Could always use kviek Hornindal as the yeast, pineapple esters at high temps 85-95, and ferments in less than 3 days. If this is a commercial beer for you, you will def save on cooling cost and turn around time which will add to your benefit

oddly enough we have a 40% wheat with voss going right now that got a big dose of neo mex hops, so i'd be a bit worried that the two would be a bit too similar given we've got a ton of sabro going into this one, with some wheat, some citrus hops, etc.

super orange, neo mex tropical in a session wheat kveik
tropical, pineapple, citrus hazy with wheat kveik.

not exactly the same, but not that dissimilar either you know?

oddly enough we have a 40% wheat with voss going right now that got a big dose of neo mex hops, so i'd be a bit worried that the two would be a bit too similar given we've got a ton of sabro going into this one, with some wheat, some citrus hops, etc.

super orange, neo mex tropical in a session wheat kveik
tropical, pineapple, citrus hazy with wheat kveik.

not exactly the same, but not that dissimilar either you know?
I got you but honestly, I don’t think many customers would even realize. We are always more critical of beer and notice things the general beer drinking community will be oblivious to.

Back