New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the foaming. I will open up the kegerator this week and look at it all when I pour a pint or two. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to connect the "output" connector to the post and blast it with CO2 to clear the poppet with any success? I'll probably have to vent the keg and take it all apart, but figured I would ask. Thanks again everyone and take care!

Some times that does works, it did the trick for me when I sucked up a hop bag (which caused lots of foam). It will kick up sediment and make the beer foamy from bubbles bubbling up threw the bottom of keg, just let us settle for 30 mins before u take another pour.

I have an intertap FC, you have hop particles in the area where the FC moves inside the faucet. Even the smallest bits get stuck in there and will cause foaming. Remove faucet from the shank and clean it out. I don’t use my intertap on hop or fruit beers anymore due to foaming.

It's easily cleaned/fixed.
I use my intertaps for all beers. They're great taps. First blockage last night.

Doing a little experiment over the next week or two.
It's pretty tame but I've always been interested to see the effect certain hops may have at f/o. Specifically unique hops with less than typical descriptors.
I've got v1 in now.
V1-
FWH: 30g Columbus.
F/o: 80g Columbus.
Dryhopped with the standard mosaic citra galaxy combo (single big dryhop only at this point).

V2-
FWH: 30g Columbus
F/o: 40g Columbus
F/o: 40g Sorachi Ace.
Same dryhop as V1

I'll post up some form of results when I get it done (both are being entered into a local competition to get proper evaluation).

It's pretty tame but I've always been interested to see the effect certain hops may have at f/o. Specifically unique hops with less than typical descriptors.
I've got v1 in now.
V1-
Dryhopped with the standard mosaic citra galaxy combo (single big dryhop only at this point).

V2-
Same dryhop as V1

I'll post up some form of results when I get it done (both are being entered into a local competition to get proper evaluation).

I like the experiment and very curious to hear the results. If v1 turns out it definitely saves on the amount of citra, mosaic, and galaxy with this recipe. Would be a good option to have when in the fall when my supply of the citra and mosaic start to run low.

I've got v1 in now.
V1-

V2-
Same dryhop as V1

I like the experiment and very curious to hear the results. If v1 turns out it definitely saves on the amount of citra, mosaic, and galaxy with this recipe. Would be a good option to have when in the fall when my supply of the citra and mosaic start to run low.

I just brewed the Trillium Melcher Street Clone from this site, which is all Columbus in the boil and whirlpool and then a big Mosaic dry hop. It is fantastic and I would strongly recommend fooling around with a similar hop schedule. I'm not saying its better than this recipe, but just as good in a different way. It got me closer to that sweet hop saturated flavor I find in Heady or Sticky Hands, and saves a bit of $ on hops as well.

Just did a new recipe using 10% oat malt, 85% Pearl malt and 5% Honey malt. I'm finding that I'm really not much of a fan of the Pearl malt. However, I did it as a split batch doing everything exactly the same except half was with wy1272 and half with wy1318. it seems to me that the wy1272 accentuates a certain malt flavor that the wy1318 doesn't as much. i'm pretty sure i'm going to wind up preferring the flavor of the wy1318 batch over the course of time comparing the two. I prefer it now. It seems to have more of a tropical thing going on. I need to start doing some triangle tests to see if I'm fooling myself though.

I just brewed the Trillium Melcher Street Clone from this site, which is all Columbus in the boil and whirlpool and then a big Mosaic dry hop. It is fantastic and I would strongly recommend fooling around with a similar hop schedule. I'm not saying its better than this recipe, but just as good in a different way. It got me closer to that sweet hop saturated flavor I find in Heady or Sticky Hands, and saves a bit of $ on hops as well.

Just in case anyone hasn’t read this, pretty interesting.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/09/citra-galaxy-neipa-bioconversion.html

I have an intertap FC, you have hop particles in the area where the FC moves inside the faucet. Even the smallest bits get stuck in there and will cause foaming. Remove faucet from the shank and clean it out. I don’t use my intertap on hop or fruit beers anymore due to foaming.

If you get hop particles in the keg post that will cause excessive foaming in my experience. Make sure to purge the keg of pressure before taking the post off to check though - otherwise you will get an IPA money shot.

Ya I’ve have clogged poppets cause foaming too, watch your lines when you make a pour. If it’s foamy in the line during the pour it’s the poppet, if you have air bubbles sitting at the high points of the tubing before you pour then you have co2 break out from serving at a lower pressure than the beer is carbonated to (or temperature stratification). If your line is clear and foams when it gets to the tap then u know it’s the FC.

Thank you all for the feedback! I opened the door and watched the tubing. There are some bubbles coming through the line but it's very little. So I took the faucet off and took it apart and flushed it out with some hot water. Sanitized it and put it back together. Poured a glass the foaming was reduced quite a bit! Thank you! I may try to take apart the poppet and clean that out too, but right now it's a lot better!

Just did a new recipe using 10% oat malt, 85% Pearl malt and 5% Honey malt. I'm finding that I'm really not much of a fan of the Pearl malt. However, I did it as a split batch doing everything exactly the same except half was with wy1272 and half with wy1318. it seems to me that the wy1272 accentuates a certain malt flavor that the wy1318 doesn't as much. i'm pretty sure i'm going to wind up preferring the flavor of the wy1318 batch over the course of time comparing the two. I prefer it now. It seems to have more of a tropical thing going on. I need to start doing some triangle tests to see if I'm fooling myself though.

just did a triangle test. my wife and i cant tell the difference between these two beers. beware the bias!!!

every single ipa i’ve made using Pearl malt has a strange malt flavor that reminds me of a kind of iodine character. unpleasant.

Very strange to hear that. I like Pearl and I have used it quite a bit over the years. I have always enjoyed the final product and have never perceived it like you described. I started using it for most of my IPA's about 5 years ago while I was stationed in Germany because it was more readily available to me than American 2-row.

Maybe there's something in there that I'm not picking up? I have had a beer judged with Pearl and the judges didn't detect anything off either. I see you and the wife are doing a triangle test. Is she picking up anything off?

well. she doesnt like it but i dont know. my buddy hates it too. i need to talk to some locals. at this point i am willing to give away 120 lbs of pearl malt. yuck. alchemist uses it though. did you use thomas fawcett?

well. she doesnt like it but i dont know. my buddy hates it too. i need to talk to some locals. at this point i am willing to give away 120 lbs of pearl malt. yuck. alchemist uses it though. did you use thomas fawcett?

Yea, it was TF. Maybe you just got a bad batch or maybe the place you got it from didn't store it properly? Since I arrived back in the States, I have been getting mine from Ritebrew. How'd you end up with 120lbs?

Yea, it was TF. Maybe you just got a bad batch or maybe the place you got it from didn't store it properly? Since I arrived back in the States, I have been getting mine from Ritebrew. How'd you end up with 120lbs?

i’m in a group buy. i didnt realize i hated pearl malt and ordered too much. maybe something about my process accentuates the shitty flavor

Is anyone getting the melon flavor our of their NEIPAs? Most Tired Hands beers has the flavor I am going after. I think it has to do with the yeast and malt. Its kind of like a sweetness that comes thru.
I've tried London Ale, conan, 644 and some blends of them. LA3 seems to be the closest, but I feel like im a little off still.

If you have some suggestions. will be super grateful!

Is anyone getting the melon flavor our of their NEIPAs? Most Tired Hands beers has the flavor I am going after. I think it has to do with the yeast and malt. Its kind of like a sweetness that comes thru.
I've tried London Ale, conan, 644 and some blends of them. LA3 seems to be the closest, but I feel like im a little off still.

If you have some suggestions. will be super grateful!

Have you tried using lactose? I’m pretty sure tired hands uses it and apple purée in all the milkshake series. I’ve been adding lactose to most of my NEIPAs lately with LA3, I just tapped one 2 days ago and would say it has a sweet creamy honey dew taste. Also cashmere hops have that honey dew flavor to me, if you can get your hands on them, last time I checked farmhouse had 4oz packs in stock.

Have you tried using lactose? I’m pretty sure tired hands uses it and apple purée in all the milkshake series. I’ve been adding lactose to most of my NEIPAs lately with LA3, I just tapped one 2 days ago and would say it has a sweet creamy honey dew taste. Also cashmere hops have that honey dew flavor to me, if you can get your hands on them, last time I checked farmhouse had 4oz packs in stock.

Thats the flavor! Ill give Cashmere hops a try when I can get my hands on them. I've used lactose once on a guava shake ipa, turned out great but i tend to favor the non lactosed NEIPAs a bit better, atleast on the commercial styles. I might try mashing a tad higher and may almost completely cut out bittering hops. I re-use yeast due to my location. So im wondering if that might be it. I'm on like generation 20-25 of my LA3. I have a new package in a starter, so will see if that does the trick.
I thought it might be an Oat thing too but a few months back I had a beer by Alvarado Street brewing in SF that was spot on with the flavor profile I want and they didnt use any oats AND they blend LA3 and conan, which totally put me at a loss. bc i get more apricot from conan.
Hops i usually use on these vary from Mosaic, Citra, Apollo, El dorado, Columbus, Centennial, Crystal.
Their site says:
Spooky Juice
Yeast Driven Double IPA

Utilizing a new blend of expressive yeast strains and loading up the malt bill with a large portion of locally grown and malted barley, this Double IPA is incredibly soft with bold, fruity flavors. Five progressive hop varieties combine with a unique fermentation profile to achieve notes of honeydew melon, cantaloupe, berry & white grape. Nothing Spooky about it, other than the can art.
ABV 8.1% | 45 IBU

• Yeast: Spooky Blend (London III/ Vermont)
  • Malt: American 2-Row, Admiral Maiden Voyage, Unmalted Wheat, Flaked Barley
  • Hops: Vic Secret, Denali, Idaho 7, Mosaic, Centennial, Mosaic Cryo

First time brewing NEIPA. Slightly altered recipe based on what I had on hand, s04 yeast, maris otter. Turned out great!

Thanks for the great recipe!

Attachments

• 3475DB58-71B3-475E-9455-575DFA70CFFA.jpeg
    3475DB58-71B3-475E-9455-575DFA70CFFA.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 194
An interesting listen. I would recommend everyone on this thread have a listen. A recap of this thread in 45 minutes.

yeah, layin' down some knowledge, great podcast!! I'm very intrigued by his comments on chit malt. has anyone used chit malt?! i have done tests on carapils, and it is useless from my perspective, but the chit malt is a protein-based modification to the recipe, so it sounds like a real winner.

An interesting listen. I would recommend everyone on this thread have a listen. A recap of this thread in 45 minutes.

I also like his comments on aging the beer some. These things can taste a lot better after 1-3 weeks in the keg. The burn drops off and it tastes a lot rounder and juicier.

My recent batch that I thought I over-hopped is tasting incredibly resinous, round and delicious after 2 weeks in the keg!

I listened to it today while commuting. I enjoyed it. In my experience, a week or two in the keg totally helps out the beer. Chit malt sounds interesting as well.

I listened to it today while commuting. I enjoyed it. In my experience, a week or two in the keg totally helps out the beer. Chit malt sounds interesting as well.

i'm wondering if the 28-day Heady Topper schedule includes 2 weeks of primary with dry hop and then 2 weeks in a brite tank to settle and leave that sick round flavor.

Is it just me or is the beersmith podcast host a bit like a wet blanket? Tonsmeire lays down some knowledge and he's like "hmph" dude sounds like someone doing play by play for a golf tournament. jesus.

ok, now i'll sit back and wait for the assault by the beersmith dude.

Is it just me or is the beersmith podcast host a bit like a wet blanket? Tonsmeire lays down some knowledge and he's like "hmph" dude sounds like someone doing play by play for a golf tournament. jesus.

Yeah, brad asked some questions that mike had already kinda answered. It had a weird flow to the interview, but in the end mike seemed to roll with it.

Kinda curious about the whole diminishing hop utilization below 180f. I thought that whirlpooling below adds to flavor/aroma without adding the perceived bitterness. Maybe I interpreted them wrong?

Kinda curious about the whole diminishing hop utilization below 180f. I thought that whirlpooling below adds to flavor/aroma without adding the perceived bitterness. Maybe I interpreted them wrong?

Beersmith dude was saying that hop utilization drops off super quick below boiling in terms of IBUs. Tonsmeire was saying that he hasn't noticed much difference between flameout and chill-then-add-whirlpool-hops in terms of hop flavor. Those were my takeaways.

I think there is some room for experimentation in whether the hopstand temp really does that much in terms of decreasing IBUs or changing hop character. I guess if you want an ultra-low-bitterness beer then chill down to below 170 and then add the hopstand hops. You'll get good flavor with minimal bitterness. I don't mind some bitterness, so it doesn't matter to me, but my female friends seem to be more sensitive to the bitterness it seems. They generally think that even a low bitterness NEIPA has too much bitterness oftentimes.

@stickyfinger Lately I have been doing 7g FWH, 3oz FO, and a hopstand below 170f. For me it adds to the hop “depth”. It just made me go huh, during that tiny part.

yeah, layin' down some knowledge, great podcast!! I'm very intrigued by his comments on chit malt. has anyone used chit malt?! i have done tests on carapils, and it is useless from my perspective, but the chit malt is a protein-based modification to the recipe, so it sounds like a real winner.
I could only find one or two places online that even sell it.

I think the point was that the hops isomerize at 180 and above. So below that you get the flavor but not he bitterness.

Scott janish has a really interesting post about the different hop oils and what boils off and what seems to get scrubbed during fermentation.

I get the impression that he tries to keep it accessible for less experienced Homebrewers. So he often slows it down and makes sure to explain things.

Anyone else find it super interesting about Mike adding that yeast in during the keg hop? He says it only eats the simple sugars, creates a second biotransformation, and scrubs the oxygen. Cool stuff! I'm a brulosophy patreon and recently got to do a live Q&A with Mike.

Back