North American Oktoberfest vs German Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine my surprise (shock?) when I sat down in the Paulaner restaurant, in Frankfurt, and ordered their Festbier. I expected it to be a Marzen style, but it was light in color, and more in the style of a Pils or Helles, with a little more malt profile.
It was a very good beer, much better than the Oktoberfest examples from the breweries on this side of the Atlantic.
There was a time when the Boston Beer Companies O-Fest was purchased every fall. But no more.

Agreed.
My former "go to" retailer couldn't sell the 28 bottle cases of Crystalbombs he had in stock last year, even when he dropped the sale price. A couple years back a guy ordered some O-fest Wiesn and neglected to pick up the cases the distributor dropped off. I saw them and promptly took the majority home. This past year I couldn't find any Wiesn, even after I asked around in several local shops. Evidently the distributors weren't carrying the stuff, so I compromised with the Hofbräu version instead.
The price for a case bordered on the ridiculous ... nearly $48 plus tax. THIS IS WHY YOU HOMEBREW!

My favorite is Hoffbrau's Oktoberfestbier. And it happens to the the lightest color and highest ABV of the lot. (Costco sells it every September) I think it's really a Helles Export, but maybe even a little stronger. It's dangerously drinkable for 6.3%.

If you can get Leinenkugel's , look for this year's Collaboration Lager. (they don't call it an Oktoberfest) It also says Hofbrau Munchen on the label. It tastes to me like a real German festbier made with American hops, but at least they used the right amount of hops. It's darker than the Hofbrau O'festbier; about the same as last year's Paulaner version.

Last edited:
I'm drinking Paulaner Marzen Oktoberfest right now ... I picked it up on the way home from work due to the fact that I can no longer find Sam Adams octoberfest for sale locally :( I gotta say if this is representative of German Marzen/Festbier , I'll take the American style "Crystalbombs" anyday over this. Just my opinion but Sam Adams Octoberfest was a damn fine beer this year. I will be attempting to replicate this style soon , just received a variety of grains and hops in the mail today to test out my own "mocktoberfest" . Lastly Bobby, Americans over hop everything lately I agree ... totally ruined IPA's for me . Guess that's why i'm drawn to the sweeter/ maltier styles lately.

My biggest issue with small American breweries is the constant over hopping of the style. I just had one in a taproom that had to be 50-60 IBUs.

Grab a 6 pack (or a keg) of Alstadt Oktoberfest. One of the best examples available this side of the Atlantic. While they claim it's a Marzen, it is much more like a Festbier.
Very, very good.
And they won a Gold at this year's GABF for Munich Helles.
https://www.altstadtbeer.com/

I made this recipe from AtlanticBrewSupply and it turned out great. I used WLP820 rather the their recommended yeast and it came out delicious. Much dryer than all the other marzens I've sampled this year with all the flavor.

RECIPE STATS
Est. SG: 1.055
Est. FG: 1.017
IBU: 23
SRM: 9.9
ABV: 5.0%

INGREDIENTS
9 lbs Munich Malt 8L
1 lb German Pilsner Malt
0.25 lbs Caramunich I

1 oz Liberty Hops
1 oz Tettnang Hops