Erdinger Oktoberfest clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Anyone have a close recipe for Erdinger Oktoberfest? I've actually never had the beer, but my dad loves it. And what do you get the guy that has everything? Home brew, that's what.

He's generally a light American guy, buy likes some of my more tame brews, so I'm guessing this is a pretty straightforward brew. Half pils and half wheat, but maybe a little Vienna or Munich for color? Probably no caramel malts? Noble hops to bitter in the 20 IBU range? What about finishing hops? Yeast? Their website claims 13.7 P as a starting point, and 5.7% ABV, but other than a picture of the color, thats all I have to go by. Close will count with this brew.

Thanks all!

Disclaimer : I’ve never had this beer either. It looks really interesting, so I’m following this one to see what others say.

From reading descriptions:
  • Like other Erdinger’s, this is a Weizen
  • It’s lighter and more carbonated than most Marzens
  • It’s maybe somewhat darker and fuller-bodied than a typical hefe
Makes me think you’re right with the equal parts Pils and wheat. I bet you’re right with some Munich for body and color (maybe 10%-20%?). If there is crystal, it’s likely very little. Maybe something like 50% wheat, 35% pils, 15% Munich?

Yeast has to be a Hefeweizen Ale strain from the descriptions. From reading reviews, I wonder if you would ferment somewhat cool to SLIGHTLY restrain the banana and clove esters?

Option B: Maybe they do finished beer blending (some hefe with some o-fest lager?) I’m guessing you don’t want / need to do given your comment that “close will count”.

I’d bet the carbonation is at hefe levels (2.5-3.0 volumes).

These are hypotheses. I’ll sit back and watch with great interest what responses you might get from others with more direct experience.

Last edited:
Back