Normal Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknack

Reaction score
This is my third batch as a new brewer. The first two batches went more as expected. The active fermentation process started up within 1 day and gradually declined over about 3 days.

The brew that I now have in the primary is a bit different. I saw nothing until about the 18 hour mark, in which the active (visible) fermentation process began. I was relieved and let out a deep breath. However, it ended more quickly than I expected, just 48 hours. It was still working, but just not much bubble action in the airlock.

I got home this evening (the 3 day mark exactly) to open the chest freezer to see more active fermentation than I've seen with any brew that I've done yet. It actually has me thinking that I should probably put in a blow-out tube before I go to bed to be safe.

The question is... is that normal to have sort of a roller coaster with the fermentation process? That is, going slow, to medium, to slow, to really slow to later BIG!

By the way, I'm brewing a 1.068, 5 gallon IPA extract kit. I have the temp set at 66-69 degrees in my chest freezer.

I have had Nottingham rip through my wort in 3-4 days. My current batch is on day 7 of active fermentation, and this is the lowest OG beer I've ever made.

Yeast do what they want, when they want. No two batches can be expected to act the same.

I'd say you are in a completely normal fermentation, and should just wait until the krausen drops.

I gotcha but what has me wondering is the roller coaster ride. That is, going slow to medium to slow and almost nothing to BIG (3 days later). Of course, I'm fine with all of this but just wondering is all.

With what yeast? For some strains, that's a bit on the warm side.

Warm?

US-05

I have my chest freezer set for 66-69 degrees. Based on what I've read, that's where it should be. If I'm mistaken, I could very easily lower the temperature. Thoughts?

Warm?

US-05

I have my chest freezer set for 66-69 degrees. Based on what I've read, that's where it should be. If I'm mistaken, I could very easily lower the temperature. Thoughts?

65-66*F (measured on the fermenter) is the sweet spot for Chico strain (US-05 and WLP001).

set it at like 62-63. If you have your freezer at 62 and have the temp probe taped to the side of your fermentor, the actual temp inside the wort will be like 65

i have a saison fermenting and i checked it two weeks in (basically zero activity in the fermenter at this point) and it was at 1.018. I was worried i had a stalled fermentation. Checked it three days later and it was at 1.001.

Fermentation just kinda does what it does. all you can do is give it a nice healthy pitch, nice temperatures and then lots of time to let it do its thing.

also I have fermented with us-05 at 68 degrees numerous times and never noticed any bad flavours. I think anywhere in the range between 62-70 you will be fine. some people claim peach flavours at lower temps with US-05, but i have also fermented with it at low 60s and never experienced that.

RDWHAHB

Back