Noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odh2507

Reaction score
So ive made about 40 gallons of beer this year so far, and they all turned out great..but a question i have for general fermenting. Do i rack hops into the carboy after brewing? Do i leave it in the brew kettle? I imagine this is more importNt for ipas than wheat beers, and i plan on making an ipa soon..

And also, is it possible to clear up a beer once its in the carboy, something like irish moss? That uou may have forgotten on brewday???

Thanks guys

I think you are going to get different opinions here. You can transfer everything (hops, etc.) into fermentor if you want. Some "studies" suggest transferring everything might lead to a off flavors and/or a longer period for the beer to clear.

To clear in a carboy, you can cold crash. I think you can you gelatin post fermentation as well.

I just dump it all in. It settles out after fermentation. Cold crashing at 40 will do wonders for clarity prior to kegging/bottling.

Roed Haus Brewery

You will get lots of differing views on this, I try to keep hops in the kettle, but don't make extraordinary efforts to do so.

Back