noob from southwest chicago burbs..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis KilPatrick

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

happened to find this site when searching for some hard cider recipes.

I recently bought my first kit and am getting ready to start a batch of hard cider. I will probably definitely have some questions for all of you along the way, and I've already found some great info on this site.

If anyone has any tips for a first time brewer using a kit I would greatly appreciate it!

I already have a list recipes to try after my first batch and am definitely looking forward to a couple batches of Ed Wort's Apfelwein!

Welcome! Another NoIL area brewer! Never done cider or any form of wine myself, but there plenty here who can help with questions. David's link to Palmer's How To Brew is a definite 'must read'.

Welcome - always nice to see someone from the general area on the site. I've never done a cider either, but will probably get to one sooner or later. I've made Apfelwein and really enjoyed it.

thanks for the welcome. I tend to drink more cider lately then beer so I figured I would start with that. I'm looking forward to Apfelwein as my second brew--it must be good if so much of it has been made!

It's not just good - it's SOOOO easy, you'll be wondering if you forgot a step. Nothing THAT easy EVER tastes good.

Welcome!
You'll learn so much just by reading here. Even if you think the thread doesn't apply to what you're looking for, you'll most likely learn something.

I just started brewing in January of this year and I feel like I've come a long way in a short time just be reading here and applying the tips to my brews.

...and yeah, i've got a 5 gal. batch of Ed's Apfelwein in a carboy right now. 2 weeks to go and I'll bottle. After reading so much about it, I had to try it.

Happy brewing!

I just lurked for months, reading every new post and learning everything I could. :p

Back