Non-brewing use for my pH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinebrouwer

Reaction score
I’m going to try some water treatments for my next brew so I recently bought a pH meter (Milwaukee MW102). Coincidentally, my vet just told me that my dog’s urine pH is too high and that we should consider monitoring that for a little while. They suggested I get some pH paper, but I figured I have this fancy new meter…:eek:

When I think about trying to use the same device for measuring mash as I do dog urine it immediately makes me say “ew”, but maybe it’s no big deal. I don’t anticipate returning my mash samples back to the mash tun after I measure the pH, so it’s not like the tainted probe will have touched my finished beer. Alternatively, I could buy a second probe for my meter.

What do you guys think? Buy a second probe or just try to clean the one I have? Would I just do the normal cleaning procedure (DI rinse, store in storage solution) or is there a better way to safely clean/sanitize?

(Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I can't think of where else I'd get to talk about measuring pH of mash and bodily fluids and find some people who may appreciate the chemistry of both.)

Well, it may just be me, but I would just get some strips.
Sample cups and such can be boiled, dishwashered, bleached and whatnot, but I would not do any of that with a pH probe. I would want to do that with anything touching bodily fluids.
One man's opinion.

i've used mine to measure my own urine ph....don't know if a dog would be different.... :D

actually i get lots of non brewing use out of mine, comes in handy for cooking/fun basic chemistry projects....still got the same probe it came with 4-5 years ago, and it still calibrates fine..(does run a little slower these days though)

I would just use the meter and rinse well, it's all pre-boil after all ;)
Preboil, and the contaminated liquid won't be going back in the kettle anyway.

Milwaukee provides a good device and support but you better check the warranty.
What do you think violates the warranty? I imagine medical labs would use similar probes.

Preboil, and the contaminated liquid won't be going back in the kettle anyway.

What do you think violates the warranty? I imagine medical labs would use similar probes.
No idea, but the probes are kinda pricey so I would read it just to be sure.

Clear urine is typically near sterile. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The MW-102 uses a double junction probe and it is very stable. I'd rinse it well and also finish with a dunk in a typical brewery sanitizer. If you're really worried about it, dunk it in hydrogen peroxide too.

You could also make a slurry (mud, on the liquidy side) and test the pH of the soil in your yard or garden.

Clean it the same way you always do. I just use soapy water, rinse, then store in 4pH cal solution (but of course follow the manuf instructions).

I use my meter for all sorts of stuff, often on stuff you definitely would not drink. Just dunked mine into a mix of acetone and lye and muriatic acid and some tree bark about an hour ago. I also use it for cheesemaking, soapmaking, my saltwater fish tank, pool care, and things I probably can't remember. I'm still here and feeling mostly alright, so I wouldn't worry.

I'd rinse it well and also finish with a dunk in a typical brewery sanitizer. If you're really worried about it, dunk it in hydrogen peroxide too.
All I'd seen so far about cleaning the probe was to just swirl it around in some distilled water. It's good to know I can use some Starsan or hydrogen peroxide too before storing it in storage solution. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I keep a bottle of Electrode Cleaning solution on hand and use it after each brew day before storing the meter away. A tech at Hanna said I could use alcohol in a pinch but I decided to order the cleaning and storage solutions at the same time.

Back