Noisy Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Im a light sleeper so I have to keep my primary fermenter in the closet when its brewing the 'bubbling' in the air lock keeps me awake. Is there naything wrong with carrying the bucket downthe hall and lifting it up on a table to siphon into bottles or secondary. I try not to splash it too much but ofcourse its heavy and splashes a bit?

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you can transfer your beer while it's still fermenting? If so, then no, that's a bad idea. You may stop fermentation if you transfer to secondary, and even if you don't your secondary may overflow. Even if neither of those things happen, it will still bubble in secondary so you'll be left with the same problem. If you bottle instead and primary fermentation isn't done, you're likely to have bottle bombs.

I'm assuming you don't have anywhere else to put it long term, but if you're willing to do the work, you could just move it during the night during fermentation until the bubbles stop coming.

Otherwise my only suggestion is white noise.

Well of course you can carry it down the hall and put it on the table. Why not? All you might do is stir up the yeast a bit, but it's it actively fermenting (hence the bubbles), then it's already stirring itself up pretty good.

At any rate, I'd not worry about a secondary unless you wanted to use one. Just make sure the primary is in a location that has little sunlight, and is the RIGHT temperature for a good fermentation (not too warm, not too cold).

Or buy ear plugs...

Cool Cool - I guess what i was asking is it ok to bring the fermentor back down the hall and put it up on a table just before bottling or transferring the beer to secondary. Will stirring up a bit of yeast or shaking it up before the transfer a bit have a negative effect on the beer?

Will stirring up a bit of yeast or shaking it up before the transfer a bit have a negative effect on the beer?

Not at all. I usually move mine into my kitchen onto a counter a few hours before I plan to bottle. If you move and then bottle immediately your beer may be cloudier, but other than that it will still be fine.

Back