No signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathon06

Reaction score
I had my first attempt at Apple cider this weekend. Saturday I pitched a vial of Whit Labs liquid champagne yeast into 5 gallons of Sprouts Farmers Market fresh pressed organic apple juice and two lbs of brown sugar. OG was 1.070. O didn't use a starter and I forgot to pull the yeast out of the refrigerator in advance. The yeast only warmed up for about 30 minutes before I pitched. No sign of fermentation 30 hours later so I pitched a pack of Red Star dry champagne yeast and some yeast nutrient early last evening. Today there is still no airlock activity. I'm fermenting in a bucket and I can't see what is going on. I know I need to be patient bit it seems like a very long time with no activity. Has anyone used this apple juice before? It is heat pastureized, no preservatives added.

Just wait man, it will happen. However, I do no know how your pitching 2 different yeasts will affect the finished product...

The problem isn't the juice. Patience. If nothing (krausen starts forming) happens after 72 hours then you might have a problem. Airlock activity does NOT prove fermentation or lack there of. Is there a krausen layer forming?

it wont hurt to peek, or stick your ear to it and listen for fizz. none of my buckets seal properly without a bunch of hassle so i always listen or look inside to see if it started.

How'd the cider turn out? I just bought a gallon of the same juice for a cider experiment.

It is heat pastureized

Where did you see that it is heat pasteurized? I've been looking online for a while trying to figure out just that :)

It's ok but not great. I'm giving it more time, at least two more months. The carbonation level is very low. I guess I can't complain, I feel I messed around with it so much by using two types of yeast and opening the lid...perhaps I introduced oxygen. Drinkable, but not great.

I'll bet that there is no oxygen introduced at all. My brew buddy uses buckets, and we have found that placing a weight on top of the lid creates enough force to create a good seal. He uses a ten pound free weight. Be sure to pull your airlock before lifting off the weight, though, because you will create a vacuum and suck in your sanitizing fluid.

No sweat! This is also another great reason to use cheap vodka in your airlock. If you get suck back, you just bumped your abv! Haha

Back