no signs of fermentation overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craiginho

Reaction score
didn't have a good feeling about my 1st batch from the get go.
a few things went wrong, but maybe most importantly i think i added the yeast when the wort was too warm.

i let the wort cool "naturally" in a carboy. it took hours and i finally added the yeast before i went to bed. now this morning there are just a few bubbles. is the batch shot?

is letting the wort cool on its own a good idea? if so, how long can you let it sit before adding the yeast?

You should use a sink with cold water and ice to cool it. Also, if you top up, chill that water. Doing this I can get a 5 gallon batch to 70F from a boiling 2 gallons in 15 minutes.

First, what was the temperature when you pitched the yeast?
Second, what kind of yeast (dry, liquid, strain, etc.)?

Very little worry, sometimes it takes 36 hours for visible fermentation to start.

did not make a starter. have done it with bread before, what are the techniques for beer?

it was a dry yeast that I dumped into the carboy which was about 80 degrees at the time.

What is the temperature of the carboy now?

In the future it is good to re-hydrate the yeast before pitching. You can also 'proof' the yeast to make sure it is viable. Check it out here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Not doing this is not necessarily a death sentence, I think your fermentation should be coming a long soon.

Fermentation can take a while to start, don't worry about it.

It's preferable to rehydrate dry yeast, but lots of people just sprinkle it over the wort. 80 F isn't too hot to pitch, so you should be fine.

Go grill a burger and have a beer, a watched airlock never bubbles.

My first batch I pitched at 90 because I didn't have any clue what I was doing and it didn't kill it. The beer actually came out decent too.

I say you should give it a little more time. Sometimes yeast just takes a bit. My wit beer started WAY slower than my porter (which is totally odd) but it is working now.

finally, some action!

it's starting to foam ... slowly.
i've got a 5 gal. carboy.
i vent this with a tube to a bucket will mild solution, no?

idaphor or whatever it's called. do i have to change this solution once it starts to foam thru the tube? if so, how often.

craiginho said:
idaphor or whatever it's called. do i have to change this solution once it starts to foam thru the tube? if so, how often.

iodophor

No need to change the solution, you could use water if you wanted too. Just have the container lower then the top of your carboy. The pressure of released CO2 and gravity are both keeping airborne bacteria from getting into your beer.

Latest posts

Back