No more rehydrating. I sprinkle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I follow this rule now. If the OG is 1.055 or lower (75% of my beers) then sprinkle. Above that, I would rehydrate to help the yeast. It is easy and it works. Saves time and hassle.

The owner at my LHBS told me that homebrewers can kill as many yeast cells by rehydrating outside the optimum water temp. I hadn't considered that one. Hmmmm.

I also sprinkle for any standard gravity beers. At high gravity, I would definitely rehydrate (or even make a starter) because the osmotic pressure is much greater and can damage cell walls. Think about why you can't just throw yeast in pure honey. That's an extreme example, but the idea is the same to a smaller degree with high gravity beers.

I just did my first "sprinkle" batch with US-05 yesterday. Poured the yeast into the carboy, then dropped my aeration stone in and let it roll for an hour or so. It was showing life a few hours later, and as of this morning it was going ape****! Half of my 6' blowoff tube full, and I could see the trub swirling in there. Never seen such a crazy ferment.

I always used to mix up a few teaspoons of table sugar in a cup of water and boil/cool, and 'proof' my yeast. This is also rehydrating it, btw. I mainly did it because i liked seeing the blooming when they woke up.
Since then, I have learned that using table sugar is not a good idea, and pitching dry yeast directly is the preferred method. I use my brewing spoon to incorporate a lot of air into the wort, and pour any top off water in so it makes a nice splash.
I have to add my method of pitching because there were only 199 other ways to do it already mentioned here. :)

The point of a plain water rehydration is the reduced stress as compared to a sugar laden liquid like wort or sugar water.

Rehydration is a pain.

1. Get mason jar and lid
  2. Get pot
  3. Get water
  4. Boil water and jar together
  5. Pour water into jar
  6. Chill water
  7. Test the water temp. Can't be too hot.
  8. Sanitize the packet and scissors
  9. Pour yeast in jar and let sit.

Or

1. Sanitize the packet and scissors
  2. Sprinkle

I put a cup of water in a square tupperware sandwich container, loosely apply the top, and hit 3 minutes and walk away.

An hour later, I follow your second list and sprinkle my yeast into the container, then walk away again. When it's pitching time, it's ready. Not hard for me.

I put a cup of water in a square tupperware sandwich container, loosely apply the top, and hit 3 minutes and walk away.

An hour later, I follow your second list and sprinkle my yeast into the container, then walk away again. When it's pitching time, it's ready. Not hard for me.

If that works for you than that is good.

I did another APA last night, and finished just about midnight. Sprinkled right on top of the foam. Buttoned it up and went to bed.
Got up at 6:00 AM and it was sending up a bubble about every 5 seconds. By tonight, I expect it will be percolating like a coffee pot.

I just can't imagine what it would be like if any steps increased the amount or rapidity of the fermentation I have gotten lately.
It's crazy good.

P.S. I never sterilized my yeast packets until recently, mostly because I hadn't thought about it. After I started doing that, I realized I could save myself a little trouble by making a small slit in the yeast package, just big enough so that I could tear it off. Saves me the time of sterilizing the scissors.

Wow, I dont think I have ever sterilized scissors to cut open a yeast packet. I just rip it open and dump it in. But to each is own I suppose. I'll continue to brew dangerously LOL :mug:

Damn, this is even easier than what I've been doing, which I thought was easy enough (boil water in tea kettle, pour in cup, cover with saran wrap, walk away, come back later and sprinkle). Nice. :mug:

Wow, I dont think I have ever sterilized scissors to cut open a yeast packet. I just rip it open and dump it in. But to each is own I suppose. I'll continue to brew dangerously LOL :mug:

You firebrand, you.
Seriously, I saw this recommendation, and really think it is overkill, but making a little nick in the margin of the packet negates the need to sterilize anything else.
I do now dip the yeast packet in StarSan prior to opening it. I have invested hours in mashing, cooking, cooling, and pouring this beer. I ain't going to risk messing it up with wild yeast or other critters.

I am not to the point in my brewing where I find that adding dry yeast directly to my wort imparts any off flavors or harms the fermentation. If it eventually comes down to that part of my process, I will refine it, but until then I find that my energy is better expended on other improvements to my brewing.

Obviously, the score sheet doesn't hold all the answers, but it does help me refine what I feel needs to be worked on.

I just can't imagine what it would be like if any steps increased the amount or rapidity of the fermentation I have gotten lately.
It's crazy good.

P.S. I never sterilized my yeast packets until recently, mostly because I hadn't thought about it. After I started doing that, I realized I could save myself a little trouble by making a small slit in the yeast package, just big enough so that I could tear it off. Saves me the time of sterilizing the scissors.

That is a great idea!!!! Thanks.

I am not to the point in my brewing where I find that adding dry yeast directly to my wort imparts any off flavors or harms the fermentation. If it eventually comes down to that part of my process, I will refine it, but until then I find that my energy is better expended on other improvements to my brewing.

Obviously, the score sheet doesn't hold all the answers, but it does help me refine what I feel needs to be worked on.

I am trying to refine my steps to get my time brewing down as far as possible. Since I leave my beers in the primary for 3 weeks, I do not care if the yeast lags by 4 or even 8 hours. Doesn't matter. I really wanted to see how many homebrewers are just tossing the yeast in and skipping the rehydration.

I recently started using the dry Fermentis yeasts with dry pitch. For the last two batches I tried re-hydration and it "feels" good because I pitched this nice creamy slurry and lets me use an Erlenmeyer flask :) but I found no difference in lag times or, rather, the airlock activity when I first checked on them the next morning, so its back to sprinkle for me.

Now the aeration question. Bobby's aeration test video shows no diff between shaking and O2 but a decent diff between aeration and nothing but in the dry yeast experiment there seems to be no diff between O2 or nothing. Fermentis says "mix the wort e.g. using aeration." "e.g." means "for example" which, to me says "not mandatory." My process includes aeration at the late stage of the chill so I will continue to do it but I don't see a conclusive answer.

This is purely anecdotal, but my current batch of Pale Ale (Notty yeast) was bubbling furiously after 19 hours by simply pitching on top of the foam. I also do not have a gasket on my pail, so I'm sure there is some pressure escaping from the rim.

i sprinkle too, but only after I shake the carboy which leaves a few inches of "foam" on the top. The dry yeast seem to love the foam (no basis for this statement)

i sprinkle too, but only after I shake the carboy which leaves a few inches of "foam" on the top. The dry yeast seem to love the foam (no basis for this statement)

That is my experience as well.
It may slow the rehydrating process, which would lessen the shock. Since the foam is part liquid, part air bubbles, it makes sense. It would also provide plenty of oxygen. I don't really need to do anything past pouring the wort in the fermenter; the pouring action creates a thick layer of foam.
I have ordered the Yeast Hog from Rebel Brewer, and am trying yeast washing for the first time today, so it might not be too far into the future when dry yeast is only kept as an emergency backup.

I really muck up the waters then. Love the March pump so much, I recirc the entire volume of water during the mash. Boil then no chill right into buckets. Allow to cool overnight, then sprinkle dry yeast, close again and wait 2 - 4 weeks, depending on the beer.

That is the Aussie method. So it goes from 200+ degs to 70 overnight? I have considered chilling for 5 mins which gets me to 120 and leaving it overnight; then add the yeast.

I use an immersion chiller until it feels like 78 degrees or below, and pitch. This batch I just did, I forgot to check the OG until after I put the Nottingham on the foam. No problem.
Use the hydrometer to push the foam aside until you get a hole so you can test. Is it just me, or does the specific gravity scale ALWAYS rotate out of view and show you whatever you don't need?
Anyway, no harm, no foul.
1.060, just like the last batch.
Dang, I need more fermenters, bottles, and time.

I use an immersion chiller until it feels like 78 degrees or below, and pitch. This batch I just did, I forgot to check the OG until after I put the Nottingham on the foam. No problem.
Use the hydrometer to push the foam aside until you get a hole so you can test. Is it just me, or does the specific gravity scale ALWAYS rotate out of view and show you whatever you don't need?
Anyway, no harm, no foul.
1.060, just like the last batch.
Dang, I need more fermenters, bottles, and time.

LOL I thought it was just my Hydrometer that did that :p

I like to stress the yeast as little as possible to avoid minor off flavors, so I rehydrate when using dry yeast. My process is simple; pour bottled spring water in sanitized glass, microwave for ~ 35 sec (aiming for 95-105F), dump yeast in glass, pitch to fermenter 20 min later. It may be in my head, but I think this shortens the conditioning time, and my beers reach optimal drinkability sooner

I think Yuri linked this earlier, but here it is again-

Originally Posted by Dr. Clayton Cone said:
Let me give you some facts regarding rehydration and you can decide for yourself where you want to compromise. Every strain of yeast has its own optimum rehydration temperature. All of them range between 95 F to 105F. Most of them closer to 105F. The dried yeast cell wall is fragile and it is the first few minutes (possibly seconds) of rehydration that the warm temperature is critical while it is reconstituting its cell wall structure.

As you drop the initial temperature of the water from 95 to 85 or 75 or 65F the yeast leached out more and more of its insides damaging the each cell. The yeast viability also drops proportionally. At 95 - 105 F, there is 100% recovery of the viable dry yeast. At 60F, there can be as much as 60% dead cells.

The water should be tap water with the normal amount of hardness present. The hardness is essential for good recovery. 250 -500 ppm hardness is ideal. This means that deionized or distilled water should not be used. Ideally, the warm rehydration water should contain about 0.5 - 1.0% yeast extract.

For the initial few minutes (perhaps seconds) of rehydration, the yeast cell wall cannot differentiate what passes through the wall. Toxic materials like sprays, hops, SO2 and sugars in high levels, that the yeast normally can selectively keep from passing through its cell wall rush right in and seriously damage the cells. The moment that the cell wall is properly reconstituted, the yeast can then regulate what goes in and out of the cell. That is why we hesitate to recommend rehydration in wort or must. Very dilute wort seems to be OK.

We recommend that the rehydrated yeast be added to the wort within 30 minutes. We have built into each cell a large amount of glycogen and trehalose that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth cycle when it is in the wort. It is quickly used up if the yeast is rehydrated for more than 30 minutes. There is no damage done here if it is not immediately add to the wort. You just do not get the added benefit of that sudden burst of energy. We also recommend that you attemperate the rehydrated yeast to with in 15F of the wort before adding to the wort. Warm yeast into a cold wort will cause many of the yeast to produce petite mutants that will never grow or ferment properly and will cause them to produce H2S. The attemperation can take place over a very brief period by adding, in encrements, a small amount of the cooler wort to the rehydrated yeast.

Many times we find that warm water is added to a very cold container that drops the rehydrating water below the desired temperature.

Sometimes refrigerated, very cold, dry yeast is added directly to the warm water with out giving it time to come to room temperature. The initial water intering the cell is then cool.

How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate.

The manufacturer of Active Dry Beer Yeast would be remiss if they offered rehydration instructions that were less than the very best that their data indicated.

One very important factor that the distributor and beer maker should keep in mind is that Active Dry Yeast is dormant or inactive and not inert, so keep refrigerated at all times. Do not store in a tin roofed warehouse that becomes an oven or on a window sill that gets equally hot.

Active Dry Yeast looses about 20% of its activity in a year when it is stored at 75 F and only 4% when refrigerated.

The above overview of rehydration should tell you that there is a very best way to rehydrate. It should also tell you where you are safe in adapting the rehydration procedure to fit your clients.

I like to stress the yeast as little as possible to avoid minor off flavors, so I rehydrate when using dry yeast. My process is simple; pour bottled spring water in sanitized glass, microwave for ~ 35 sec (aiming for 95-105F), dump yeast in glass, pitch to fermenter 20 min later. It may be in my head, but I think this shortens the conditioning time, and my beers reach optimal drinkability sooner

Thanks for the information. If I use dry yeast again, I will rehydrate it. I did not know that about the cell walls, but I have learned recently just how much I DON'T know about yeast, brewing, etc.
I think I have been playing the numbers game myself. Of course, I have had fantastic results just sprinkling. I wonder how much better it would get. Here is a grainy, dim video of the Pale Ale I pitched dry yeast directly into about 10 hours ago.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/video/3080229860074286987yAawNm

+1,000...But often even starters don't show "visible signs" other than the creamy band of yeast at the bottom. Sometimes it happens so fast, even over night that we miss the action. Some don't even krausen or if they do it falls rapidly.

So glad to read this. My starters rarely show signs of krausen or activity. All I see is this when I check on it:

Pitched it and it started fermenting along in about 12 hours.

Thanks for posting this. Up until I read your pasted info I was not going to try rehyration any longer. This makes sense to me as most of my beers take 18 to 24 hours to get rolling and then only krausen about 2-3 inches. One question. Is it saying that when you take your dry yeast out of the fridge you should let it cme to room temp before rehydrating in the 95-105* water?

Sometimes refrigerated, very cold, dry yeast is added directly to the warm water with out giving it time to come to room temperature. The initial water intering the cell is then cool.

Thanks for posting this. Up until I read your pasted info I was not going to try rehyration any longer. This makes sense to me as most of my beers take 18 to 24 hours to get rolling and then only krausen about 2-3 inches. One question. Is it saying that when you take your dry yeast out of the fridge you should let it cme to room temp before rehydrating in the 95-105* water?

Yep, I take mine out of the fridge sometime during the boil to give it chance to warm up.

Back