No longer drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I quit brewing quite awhile ago, and went on a fasting program to lose weight, bring blood pressure down and stimulate autophagy for general health. I've entirely given up drinking....though I'm not an extremist. In spite of a lifetime of drinking, I've always been able to walk away from it or have just one drink, but my body simply does not seem to like alcohol much anymore. The problem is that there is almost nothing I like to drink..... coffee, water, beer, whiskey... some kombucha. I've never been a soda drinker, or cared much for fruit juices, or any other off the shelf drinks. I've found that I like the bitterness and fizz of carbonated water, so I keep a keg in the fridge (1.75 gallon from Williams Brewing)... it's a good use for some of the equipment I no longer use for brewing. Most of the rest I sold. I'll probably still have the occasional beer or glass of wine, when visiting, but I have not had alcohol in any form except hand sanitizer since February. I did distill some 160 proof alcohol in a still I built for a friend, and made hand sanitizer with it back when you couldn't buy it anywhere.... Ironically he doesn't drink either... just wanted one for old time's sake. Many of his family members were rum runners. Xanthan gum makes a readily available product to get it to gel.... Not many things will at 70%.
I'm healthier and more fit than I have been in years, and the fasting is an annual thing.... I did 110 days the first winter in 3&4 day water fasts, losing 50 lbs... went back to eating "normally" as per the plan, and did 50 days the second winter... I'll probably do the same again in December, Jan, and Feb. Weight loss is not the primary objective, general health is. My idea has been to let weight coast a bit between annual sessions so that I have something to burn off. This is so I can reap the benefits of autophagy. If you don't know what that means.... look it up.
I'm still involved in helping my neighbor who I got started with his brewing, helping with process and crafting the brews growing hops, etc...I just don't drink.... just taste a sip occasionally to help work out recipe changes. I find I have no desire to drink a glass, or even a gulp....I'm over it.

..... as background, I began brewing wine and beer on the sly at age 14. My younger brother loves to tell the story about me mashing apples in a gunny sack in a washtub with my Louisville Slugger (I never had a Louisville Slugger but it makes a good story).... and making applejack. I quit drinking more or less at age 64.... 50 years of brewing and drinking should be enough ;-)

H.W.

Good that you are focusing on your health. I know that beer has affected my weight and as a cyclist I feel that I could be a lot happier on and off the bike if I was able to drop below the 225lbs (6'1") size that I am.

But then again, 8% IPAs.

Hi there. Congrats on giving up drinking. I often think about it but my health is still allowing me to enjoy brewing and drinking my creations. I also have the ability to stop on demand and will eventually have to do the same. Best of luck to you. Glad that you are happy with your decision. Life is short. God bless!

Sounds like a good decision from over here...50 years...I've only got 42 left to match!

I've always enjoyed my self breaks from drinking...mine usually comes march and april with the beginning of baseball season (I coach varsity ball). Take a month or two off and then back to it.

Congratulations none the less!

I quit brewing quite awhile ago, and went on a fasting program to lose weight, bring blood pressure down and stimulate autophagy for general health. I've entirely given up drinking....though I'm not an extremist. In spite of a lifetime of drinking, I've always been able to walk away from it or have just one drink, but my body simply does not seem to like alcohol much anymore. The problem is that there is almost nothing I like to drink..... coffee, water, beer, whiskey... some kombucha. I've never been a soda drinker, or cared much for fruit juices, or any other off the shelf drinks. I've found that I like the bitterness and fizz of carbonated water, so I keep a keg in the fridge (1.75 gallon from Williams Brewing)... it's a good use for some of the equipment I no longer use for brewing. Most of the rest I sold. I'll probably still have the occasional beer or glass of wine, when visiting, but I have not had alcohol in any form except hand sanitizer since February. I did distill some 160 proof alcohol in a still I built for a friend, and made hand sanitizer with it back when you couldn't buy it anywhere.... Ironically he doesn't drink either... just wanted one for old time's sake. Many of his family members were rum runners. Xanthan gum makes a readily available product to get it to gel.... Not many things will at 70%.
I'm healthier and more fit than I have been in years, and the fasting is an annual thing.... I did 110 days the first winter in 3&4 day water fasts, losing 50 lbs... went back to eating "normally" as per the plan, and did 50 days the second winter... I'll probably do the same again in December, Jan, and Feb. Weight loss is not the primary objective, general health is. My idea has been to let weight coast a bit between annual sessions so that I have something to burn off. This is so I can reap the benefits of autophagy. If you don't know what that means.... look it up.
I'm still involved in helping my neighbor who I got started with his brewing, helping with process and crafting the brews growing hops, etc...I just don't drink.... just taste a sip occasionally to help work out recipe changes. I find I have no desire to drink a glass, or even a gulp....I'm over it.

..... as background, I began brewing wine and beer on the sly at age 14. My younger brother loves to tell the story about me mashing apples in a gunny sack in a washtub with my Louisville Slugger (I never had a Louisville Slugger but it makes a good story).... and making applejack. I quit drinking more or less at age 64.... 50 years of brewing and drinking should be enough ;-)

H.W.

I sure admire a person who finds their limits and acts on them. (you whacky freak of nature, my god the stuff you've posted here haha)

Back