No Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratman471

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast 4 days ago and for some reason there is no krausen. I followed the instructions on the recipe sheet and pitched at room temperature. My only guess as to why this is happening is because my yeast was accidentally left in the car for an afternoon after I bought it. Could that mean I killed the yeast due to it not being refrigerated? Any remedies

well, it is possible something happened to the yeast. But its also possible it happened and you simply didn't notice. The best way to tell for sure if anything has occurred is take a hydrometer sample and see. That will tell you if the batch has begun fermenting. If after you take a hydrometer reading and you see no change. I'd repitch more yeast, quickly and try and get it to start fermenting.

I asked same thing other day b/c i dont have one either and was told not to worry about it sometimes you have one sometimes you dont and that every brew is going to be different. OK heres something to think about when yeast is shipped to store do you have any idea how hot those trucks get while in transit? I used to work shipping and im here to tell ya when its humid sometimes it felt like it was raining inside. I dont think leaving yeast in car one afternoon is going to destroy anything if that were the case half our food supply would be total crap! :)

No, I agree with Mtk, plus, that's one reason why Austin Homebrew supply adds an option to throw in a cold pack. Especially for the hot summer transits.

No Krausen, does no default to something being wrong... Please input additional parameters :)

Do you have airlock activity? Did you use additives like Foam-contol.. Are you brewing beer ?

:)

@ what temperature did u pitch ?

It's an Irish Red Ale and I used White Labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004. There is absolutely no airlock activity. I just took a hydrometer reading and it is at 1.044. I didn't use any foam-control and I sanitized all my equipment with Starsan. Unfortunately I forget the actual temperature of the yeast when I pitched it.

...umm temperature of the wort when you pitched...

4 days sounds like a stuck fermentation to me. I would pitch more yeast...

The best I figure, 4 days it did not take... I would get more yeast and if that does not work dump the wort and try again.

maybe you got dead yeast, maybe something else... sorry, don't know... everything sounds ok...

stratman471 said:
It's an Irish Red Ale and I used White Labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004. There is absolutely no airlock activity. I just took a hydrometer reading and it is at 1.044. I didn't use any foam-control and I sanitized all my equipment with Starsan. Unfortunately I forget the actual temperature of the yeast when I pitched it.

What was the original gravity? Has it gone down? If so, you have fermentation (regardless of lack of noticeable airlock bubbling or krausen) and it might just be slow to get going.

If its an extract brew, the irish red ale should have an SG of 1.042-1.046. with a FG about 1.010-1.012. So if its been 4 days, assuming these readings, and you're at 1.044. Then yea, you def have a stuck fermentation and you probably need to repitch quickly and see if you can get it started again.

Latest posts

Back