No krausen - done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I brewed last week under heavy drinking. I had several 10.1% homebrews :) Anyway, I had left my hopsocks in the fermenter, and from asking on here, the consensus was to leave it in the fermenter. I did.

I looked tonight, and there was no krausen and the two hopsocks were floating on top. I sanitized my hands to pull them out and decided to do a reading. It went from 1.060 down to 1.025. According to BS, it says that estimated should be 1.015. Since I have no krausen, is this thing done? If it's not done, could the reason for no krausen have to do with the hopsocks floating on top and making the krausen drop?

Thanks!
John

Just leave it alone for another week and then take another gravity reading. Stable gravity is the only real way to know if its done. Everything else is just a guess.

Give it a little more time. How long was the lag time from when you pitched? is it all grain or extract? if all grain what temp did you mash at and what was the ph? how much yeast did you pitch? you need to provide more info in order for anyone to help.

Why did you leave hop sacks in the fermentor? were you dry hopping? if so why so early? Also, no, a hop sack in the fermentor wont stop fermentation.

Back