No head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixittim

Reaction score
Opened my second batch and both have had zero head foam. There is a thin layer that does stay there and laces down the glass, but it is only a layer. It is carbed a little on the light side but I don't think that's the problem. 1.75 oz corn sugar per 2.5 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Recipes? No way anyone can help without knowing what you brewed, grains, amounts, hops, hop amounts, etc.

Wheat, carapils, and crystal malts in general will help with head retention. Highly hopped beers especially with high alpha acids will also help head retention.

One was all DME and LME and hoppy with 32ibu's. The next had 1.5 lbs steeped grains (biscuit and munich) and DME. The recipes were so different with the same result I was thinking it is in my process or the bottle conditioning. The bottles get a dishwasher rinse only and heated santi dry. So don't think it's the soap. In my research I have not found that case of what (ingredients, process, conditions) actually makes the foam head.

In my research I have not found that case of what (ingredients, process, conditions) actually makes the foam head.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying ingredients, process, conditions don't effect head retention? If so, that's 100% wrong. Grain bill, hops, and even the brewing process definitely contribute (positively and negatively) to head retention.

That's the thing. It's not the retention of the head. It's the lack of foam to begin with. I am new to this and those may be the same thing forgive me if they are. On pouring the beer it is not a matter of some foam rising and quickly dissipating, there simply is no foam. And yes, I understand there is direct links to ingredients and head. You misunderstood. I read extensively about head retention and nothing about properties that create that head.

If you aren't bottle conditioning long enough or warm enough, that may be the issue.

Roed Haus Brewery

You know. That might be it. I have always left the bottles with my fermenter (66-68F). And lately it's on the 66 deg side. They do get 3 to 5 weeks. Guess I should get the temp up when I bottle the next one. Problem is the house is never much over 68 anywhere.
How important is temp swing while in the bottle. The laundry room would go 68-72 pretty easily day to day.

That temp isn't too bad. It may take altitude longer than 70 degrees, but it will carb if primed properly.

Roed Haus Brewery

are they flat with no head or carb'ed with no head? also does your dishwasher have a rinse agent dispenser and is it empty when you run your bottles?

I was thinking of this. If there is a rinse agent device in the dishwasher and it has the solution in it, that WILL kill the head on your beer.

I would try bottling without using the dishwasher, condition for 3 weeks at close to 70 degrees and chill for 2 days, and hand wash a glass without dish soap and see if that solves your problem.

At 66 degrees I could see bottle conditioning take a couple of months to finish.

I'm going to guess it is the dishwasher having a bit of soap residue, but throw the baby out with the bath water. I've had good luck using my dishwasher to sterilize my bottles but one thing you may want to try, if you haven't yet, is running the dishwasher once or twice empty to make sure any soap residue is gone.

There is no rinse agent in the machine. Good idea about running the washer empty. I might as well just hand wash though. My first batch is nearing 3 months and does have a bit more foam. I do a one occasionally to be flat. I bottle out of my old Mr Beer keg. I need to invest in a bottling bucket soon. That might improve the consistency of the corn sugar. Also need to look into corn sugar vs. DME for bottling.

Have you checked your glassware? I washed some beer glasses in dishwashing detergent and it completely killed the head. I thought, no big deal, it’ll rinse off with the second beer. It didn’t happen. No head, no lacing. Nothing sticks to the glass.

I used to think that the problem with detergent was washing glasses with dirty dishes (fat). That happens, but it is a separate issue. When that happens you get splotchy sticky deposits in the glass.

Either way, baking soda will do a good job cleaning your beer glasses. Better yet, use table salt (sodium chloride). Yooper advocates the salt test. That is a big time saver, as salt is a good scrubbing agent.

Sprinkle salt on the inside rim of a damp glass. The salt should stick. If it doesn’t, your glass is not beer clean. Take a bottle brush and use it to scrub the inside of the glass. If you’re curious, salt and rinse again. You will see a big difference.

The moral of the story is keep your bottles and glasses far far away from dishwasher detergent. There is an additive in there that is very pernicious.

One of these days I'd like to have a dish washer in the brew shack detergent free and only for bottles and equipment. The santi rinse and heated dry is helpfull. Guess I'll have to put some more elbow grease into it for awhile.

I have also wondered about capping equipment. A buddy and I use similar techniques but he has a different capper than I do. I think his gives a tighter seal. Needless to say his is much foamier than mine.

What brands do you and he cap with? Think I got mine from Midwest.

He uses midwest gold caps. I use ahs or whatever the lhbs has I didn't thing there was much of a difference though.

Mine came w the kit from more beer. Red handled wing capper. Would live to upgrade to a bench capper. Not sure what my buddy uses.

Back