no head room in carboy, worst case.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
So, I always fill carboys a bit more than necessary because I know about how much will max a corny out...
However today I had pulled 2 liters off the mash to do a quick revitalization starter(if you will), for some yeast I had built up a week ago and then was unable to brew with until today. I then forgot about that wort and sparged to full volume. Now I have a better bottle, that after pitch, is basically filled up to the neck. I am set up to capture blow off for sanitized yeast anyway but I usually have a lot more head space. What negative affects can I expect
The obvious possibility for an "under pitch" is there, but really once a krausen kicks off it seems that that yeast is out of the rotation until fermentation is all but over in my experience. Will I have less yeast for fermentation and/or cleaning up by products?

Back