No chill question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsey

Reaction score
Why do you have to transfer the wort to another container to reduce the temperature (overnight) before transferring to fermenter and pitching yeast? Can you just pour into fermenter, close lid, wait for desired temp, open and pitch?

Had a spillage disaster yesterday with the former method, mAde me mad!

You don't have to, but part of the success of the technique is pasteurizing the wort.

To do this you need a strong flexible container which can handle a 4% vacuum, preferably one with little headspace.

Not many fermenters fit that bill. Also you have the opportunity to decant/rack off the cold break when you transfer to the fermenter

An alternative is to ferment in your cube!

As said above, transferring to a cube is ideal as the wort and the entire container are heat sanitized very well. That being said, I have done quite a few no chills simply by putting the lid on my kettle. Of course, this is more prone to contamination, but so far so good. With a true no chill in a cube, reports are the wort is so "clean" one can wait months to pitch yeast if desired.

I think it's because the majority of home brewers use glass carboys as there fermenters so they dont want to dump 212 degree liquid into a 70-80 degree glass container and shatter it. That's why they say to put it in a different container before going into fermenter.

The technique was developed in Australia where the majority if brewers use plastic HDPE fermenters

I just pitched the contents of a cube that I've had waiting for over 9 months! Looking good too :)

Do you have a chiller? Maybe I don't understand your situation, but why don't you just cool it in the boil pot, then drain or siphon it to a carboy? I have let a batch sit overnight then transferred in order to let whatever would settle out do so, but I guess it does increase infection risk.

You cannot transfer it directly to a glass carboy because it will shatter.

You would not want to put it in a bucket either because through the heat and then the cooling the bucket would deform enough that it would probably not close well anymore. The cubes you need are HDPE because they can withstand around 250+ degrees before you risk melting or leeching which fermenter buckets probably could not do.

Corny or sanke kegs ftw! I no chill, draining straight to two cornies (10 gallon batches) then pressure ferment in the same vessel. Kegs can take the vacuum and they can definitely take the heat. In fact I don't even worry about sanitizing since the temps are around 200 for a good hour or so after transfer. After 24 hours pop the top, oxygenate and pitch yeast! I do turn the keg on it's top after transfer to make sure all the fittings gets nice and hot.

BrewMU said:
Do you have a chiller? Maybe I don't understand your situation, but why don't you just cool it in the boil pot, then drain or siphon it to a carboy? I have let a batch sit overnight then transferred in order to let whatever would settle out do so, but I guess it does increase infection risk.

The OP is using the no-chill process, which omits the use of a chiller. Instead, the hot wort is transferred to a container, usually made from HDPE, sealed and left to cool on it's own. The wort is hot enough to sterilize the container. The Australians invented it, presumably to conserve water. They have been known to leave these containers for days or even months before pitching.

To the OP, my friend and I used to no-chill, and we found that it works much better with a valve on your boil vessel. Pouring can be messy or dangerous. The hot wort will ruin an autosiphon, which means you have to siphon the old fashioned way or use a metal jiggle siphon. A valve makes it much easier to no-chill.

I agree a valve with a length of hose attached makes for an easy transfer to a Jerry can for a NO Chill

Thanks guys, yeah I'm Aussie and new to ag brewing. So my plastic 30L fermenter wont take the heat, is that the reason i can't dump the wort straight into that for 24 hours before pitching? I am using a cube as the intermediary but seems like a waste of time if I can dump straight into the fermenter.

I like the idea if racking straight into a keg too. That has to be the next step when I can afford it.

I think your fermenter will probably be HDPE. Look on the bottom for the recycling logo. You want type 2

The problem with pouring it hot into your fermenter is that as it cools it contracts, and then draws contaminents in through the airlock.

maybe just cover it up and hope

same pronlem with kegs, they're designed to seal under pressure, not vacuum

BUT people do just pour their wort into plastic fermenters and wait till the next day to pitch

I use (7 gallon?) plastic fermenters, and always no-chill as of late.

Only problem I have with this setup is aeration once the wort is at pitching temp. Aquarium stone would be the easiest, but my last few beers I made I wanted maximum esters, so didn't aerate at all. Primary fermentation lasted 2+ weeks this way, but made great beer. Probably will continue to use the same process.

Given the soon to be folder overnight temps coming here in central VA, I plan on trying some no chill extract batches by just leaving the hot wort in the kettle overnight with a heavily sanitized lid, oxygenate and then pitch the next day.

Other than the risk of infection, chilling in the kettle seems extremely easy and worth the risk on a quick extract low hopped session beer.

.. trying some no chill extract batches by just leaving the hot wort in the kettle overnight with a heavily sanitized lid, oxygenate and then pitch the next day.
Other than the risk of infection, chilling in the kettle seems extremely easy and worth the risk on a quick extract low hopped session beer.

For all my batches, I just leave the hot wort in my BK on my kitchen stove with a sanitized lid & go to bed. Next morning, transfer cool wort to fermenter. No infections.

brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of centennial blonde this morning (bm's recipe). I love doing no chill brewing. I have had no time to brew for about 6 months now due to time issues and no chill brewing really puts the joy back in brewing for me. I always hated chilling and it was always something a messed up on and i was always leaking water in wort or whatever bringing up sanitation issues. no chill is def the way to go for someone wo alot of time or equipment.

Latest posts

Back