No Chill Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I found this hdpe container on amazon that looks like it would work well for no chill.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESUOOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have tried no chill a couple times in a corny, but I'd like to use a little larger container so I can ferment a full 5 gallons.

Anybody else using this? Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Its about $13 for 1 or $40 for 4.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
for what it's worth, I just use my hdpe fermentation buckets. But I pitch promptly the next day, as soon as the temperature is right

for what it's worth, I just use my hdpe fermentation buckets. But I pitch promptly the next day, as soon as the temperature is right

How much head space do you have?
As the wort cools it creates a vacuum and i wonder if you risk sucking in a little dust and risk an infection.

+1 on the vacuum question

Is there a sturdier version out there? What are the dimensions? I am looking for a small fridge to use as a fermentation chamber.

I have been just leaving it in the boil kettle with the lid on but these look good to use so I may try a couple

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190788029515?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

they are 6 gallon I do 11.5 gallon batches

all the best

S_M

$(KGrHqZ,!n4FD8KdbN(VBQ+igFY+Ig~~60_57.jpg

How much head space do you have?
As the wort cools it creates a vacuum and i wonder if you risk sucking in a little dust and risk an infection.

Yes there is a vacuum, and there is risk, but I'm not worried about it. Why am I not worried? Never had an infection, and it's always good beer. As long as you pitch in a reasonable amount of time, any bugs that get in there wont have a chance to grow enough to infect the batch. That's why I always make it a point to pitch first thing in the morning or ASAP when temps are correct

Sometimes, I use dry yeast so usually not. But if it's a lager or a big ale I will use a "real wort starter" which is just a small portion of the batch (about a pint) that was cooled rapidly in the freezer

Thanks for the responses. After doing a little more research, I think I will probably buy a couple of these:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=75032&catid=459#customerreviews

They seem to be the no-chill vessels most people use. You can also purchase extra caps and a barbed cap that works well as a blowoff. The part numbers for the cap and blowoff piece are 75031 and 61143. I can get 2 vessels and the spare parts delivered for about $50. If you go to youtube and search for "no chill", you will see some people using them.

It's a little more money than the ebay product, but I like the idea of using something that I know will work.

Latest posts

Back