NO carbonation!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayzor

Reaction score
Need help.

I brewed a St.Peters IPA, let sit in the fermenter for two weeks. And then bottled, putting a heaping tsp of cane sugar into each bottle.

I had few concerns because I bottled it before it stopped bubbling....well, two or three bubbles per minute.

Anyway...the beer sat in the bottle for maybe a week, or so, and then I put two bottles in the fridge and let it condition for a few days.

It's totally flat. I mean totally!

What did I do wrong? I always do it this way.

1. Temperature here in Norway is 80 degrees F, so that isn't the problem.
2. I've always used one tsp of sugar and never had a problem, so that's not it.
3. My sanitation routines are not the problem.
4. I bottled when it still bubbled, so the yeast isn't dead...if it isn't a mass suicide that is.
5. When bottling I always squeeze the bottle to let the air out before putting the cap on...never had a problem with that
6. There's not a leakage in the bottles, because they remain in their "squeezed" state.

There's one thing I did differently than my previous batches. During the boil I used a whirlfloc to clear the beer. And, after cooling, I added 10 drops of clearex to (in my belief) clear the beer even further.

Could this be the problem? That too much finings kills the yeast somehow?

Could it be the yeast itself? ...since I tried a new strain on this batch.

I can't think of anything else.

Sounds like the yeast are just a bit slower to carbonate. Nothing you listed would kill the yeast.

Best to wait longer and they should carbonate more. Did the bottle tighten up at all? If so they have carbonated the headspace.

Sounds like the yeast are just a bit slower to carbonate. Nothing you listed would kill the yeast.

Best to wait longer and they should carbonate more. Did the bottle tighten up at all? If so they have carbonated the headspace.

Like I said, I squeezed the bottles before putting the cap on, making them shrunken (lacking a better word). And no, the bottles haven't expanded into its "hard" state.

The sediments are like sand. Not sticking to the bottom, but flowing freely when shaken, but quickly falls to the bottom. Haven't experienced this before, as the sediment normally sticks to the bottom. The beer is EXTREMELY clear and no haze when chilled. I'm afraid this state has ruined the yeast somehow, giving the beer no carbonation whatsoever.

You need at least 2 weeks for them to carbonate....I always waited 3 weeks when I bottled

Also...sound slike you put an aweful lot of sugar in each bottle....which can cause bottle bombs...unless you were using big bottles

Assuming 16 ounce PET soda bottles so 1 heaping teaspoon might be OK. But if you use 12 ounce glass bottles, measure much more carefully. I use an online calculator and make a priming solution to add to the bottling bucket. If you over prime glass bottles they could explode.

I use 0.7liter(23oz) pet bottles. In the past (one year) I used 2 heaping teaspoons. Learned a lot since then ;-)

Still, sometimes (with one heaping tsp) I let it sit in room temp for a couple of days, and then a couple of days near zero degrees...and that is usually enough to get a decent amount of carbonation and head. But, on a second thought, it kind of taste of a little sweet too.

Oh, well...we learn as we go ;-)

Latest posts

Back