no 4 prung outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k20brewing

Reaction score
i have no 4 prong outlet in my house to connect my control panel not even a 3 prong dryer outlet. im very stumped on what to do here. my last option is to call an electrician. but before i do has anyone ever converted a typical 120v outlet to a 4 prung 240v outlet ??

i have no 4 prong outlet in my house to connect my control panel not even a 3 prong dryer outlet. im very stumped on what to do here. my last option is to call an electrician. but before i do has anyone ever converted a typical 120v outlet to a 4 prung 240v outlet ??

Can't be done unless the outlet has two separate circuits with opposite phases. And, even then it would probably be a code violation.

Brew on :mug:

You didn't indicate what the requirements are for the panel , but if they're the same as the dryer, Maybe you can have a special cord made so that you can connect to the dryer or stove outlet.

...course you need to talk to your local electrician about this .
Good luck.

240 is still considered single phase, but your breaker box should have two hot leads feeding it, typically one marked black and one red. you'll likely have two rows of circuits in the box, and at the top of each row the black will tie into one side, red the other side. that's your 240. you'd need one circuit from each side. plus a neutral. and a ground. four wires.

but im gonna go ahead and say call an electrician. or pay a few bucks to one of the online services where some master electrician will answer your question if you give them details/photos/etc of your circuit box and wiring. they can at least tell you if its possible by looking at it. if it is, then i'd definitely say to call the electrician and get it wired up cuz you dont sound like you know what you're doing. that's not to be mean, its just a matter of safety.

240 is still considered single phase, but your breaker box should have two hot leads feeding it, typically one marked black and one red. you'll likely have two rows of circuits in the box, and at the top of each row the black will tie into one side, red the other side. that's your 240. you'd need one circuit from each side. plus a neutral. and a ground. four wires.

but im gonna go ahead and say call an electrician. or pay a few bucks to one of the online services where some master electrician will answer your question if you give them details/photos/etc of your circuit box and wiring. they can at least tell you if its possible by looking at it. if it is, then i'd definitely say to call the electrician and get it wired up cuz you dont sound like you know what you're doing. that's not to be mean, its just a matter of safety.

No offense taken it seems like I may have to call an electrician I rather be safe than sorry

Electrical Apprentices Opinion:

Get an electrician. By the fact you were interested in simply converting a 120v outlet into a 240v outlet would indicate that you don't have a good handle on the fundamentals for electrical work.

Given the way insurance companies tend to deny coverage when DIY electrical work is involved I would recommend befriending an electrician or paying one.

Assuming you aren't renting, wiring a 240v receptacle near your panel is a small task. You're probably looking at an hour plus materials if the panel is accessible and no dry wall is involved.

I'm son and brother to two master electricians and help them in my spare time.

Electrical Apprentices Opinion:

Get an electrician. By the fact you were interested in simply converting a 120v outlet into a 240v outlet would indicate that you don't have a good handle on the fundamentals for electrical work.

Given the way insurance companies tend to deny coverage when DIY electrical work is involved I would recommend befriending an electrician or paying one.

Assuming you aren't renting, wiring a 240v receptacle near your panel is a small task. You're probably looking at an hour plus materials if the panel is accessible and no dry wall is involved.

I'm son and brother to two master electricians and help them in my spare time.
Building my herms set up has been a learning expirence as I go and I haven't given much thought on how I was going to source my power until now that my build is almost complete obviously it should have been the first thing I should have done.yea no shame of saying as of yesterday I had no idea what I was talking about but of course I come on here so I can be pointed the right way.since yesterday I been busting my head on how to install a 240v outlet and Yea it's started to look like a small task but most likely I'll have a electrician do the work to be on the safe side thank you guys on the input

Building my herms set up has been a learning expirence as I go and I haven't given much thought on how I was going to source my power until now that my build is almost complete obviously it should have been the first thing I should have done.yea no shame of saying as of yesterday I had no idea what I was talking about but of course I come on here so I can be pointed the right way.since yesterday I been busting my head on how to install a 240v outlet and Yea it's started to look like a small task but most likely I'll have a electrician do the work to be on the safe side thank you guys on the input

No fault in that and didn't mean to come off harsh. I just don't want people messing around in electrical panels particularly when you're also involving a liquid containing system for brewing. DIY electrical is responsible for many fires and injuries. If not 100% sure do not attempt at home kind of thing. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out, in the meantime take a look at the comments regarding a range plug or dryer plug temporarily. You've gotta have a range plug you can temporarily use.

Back