Nitro over carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMooBrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i have a full nitro setup (tap, regulator, tank) but have recently become gunshy on brewing anything that would require me to do more nitro.

That being said, i love nitro beers and want to do a nitro pale ale as well as a nice stout.

The problem i'e been having: All the beer comes out as foam. even after i did a thorough cleaning and removed the restriction plate. beer line was ~6-8 ft., was running at 30. possible suspects: dirty beer line, poorly proportioned gas.

Any thoughts/ideas as to why this would be happening?

Thanks!

MooMoo

How are you carbing them up? They need to be lightly carbed before hooking up the beer gas. Leave the restrictor plate in. If you are carbing them to normal levels you will be overcarbed for a nitro set up.

I usually give them a week or two at 5lbs with the CO2 and then hook it up to the beer gas and they are fine.

I was hooking up straight to beergas @30psi, no pre-carbing.

What pressure do you run your beergas at? Simple logic (not nessisarily correct logic) is that at 30 psi, my beers would be carbed to ~7.5psi if i were running a 25/75 beergas mix.

I don't think that the extra 2.5psi would cause the massive glasses of head that i was getting, and when i first set up the stout tap, i wasn't running into these issues. I only had this issue on the last couple kegs of stout i was running, which leads me to to believe that set and forget at 30psi beergas wasn't the issue. Other times the system worked as expected.

This leads me to believe that 1 of 3 things was going on:
the gas provider did not mix the gas correctly
the beer line was dirty and was causing something funky to happen
act of god

still willing to give it a good college try... just afraid of all foam, no beer...

Could this also be a kegorator balancing issue?

I was running this on a ~6' line. Maybe i needed to ad ~20 ft of line?

Back