Night Shift releases, events, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't miss any! We just picked it semi-randomly. For the presidents born in MA we wanted to make sure the beer had an element of MA in it. Adams is MA born so we sort of had to skip him for now.

Totally a possibility for a Van Buren.

Awesome, can't wait to try them out!

robNSB Any idea the guys from Island Creek will be taking debit/credit cards for buck-a-shuck tonight or is it cash only? Either way, see you and the crew tonight. Thanks!

The Constable may have converted some non-craft drinkers at a BBQ on Saturday. Really good stuff and I love the cloudiness of it, looks awesome. Nice job!

robNSB Any idea the guys from Island Creek will be taking debit/credit cards for buck-a-shuck tonight or is it cash only? Either way, see you and the crew tonight. Thanks!

We will be ringing up the credit cards for oysters at the bar tonight and then giving you a ticket to bring to the oyster table. See you tonight!

Quick bump - Whirpool and Morph can release is today at 3! From the email:

THIS WEEK:

Tuesday: Canning Extravaganza at 3pm!
Come for the cans! Both Whirlpool and Morph cans go on sale at 3pm - $12/4-pack, $72/case (24 cans), limit 3 mixed cases/person. Whirlpool has become a taproom favorite - peachy, juicy and so sessionable - but never packaged in anything but kegs. Morph is our new Rotating IPA Series: experimenting with different combinations of hops and malts each batch, the Morph series showcases our brewery's variety of always morphing India Pale Ales. Tomorrow's batch is a re-brew of our Constable IPA, which quickly disappeared into growlers just a few weeks ago. Square Deli will be here with their Grill Cart, cooking up sausages & dogs with an awesome topping bar and fresh cut & cooked frites!

has anyone had any of the beers from the new society memberships being offered? i have never had any night shift beers outside of their berliner lineup. opinions?

has anyone had any of the beers from the new society memberships being offered? i have never had any night shift beers outside of their berliner lineup. opinions?
I enjoy all of them. Aurora was my least favorite of the group but it was still serviceable. I really dig Quasar (Passionfruit :D)

Looks like the FAQ portion of the Barrel society website is not working. Anybody have any infos on how picking up bottles will be (from when to when, proxy, etc....)??

Looks like the FAQ portion of the Barrel society website is not working. Anybody have any infos on how picking up bottles will be (from when to when, proxy, etc....)??
Proxies are allowed
all bottles are held until January 31st of the following year
you will have the opportunity to buy extra bottles of each beer if there are extras
special tap at the brewery

So im considering joining the 2015 society but live in Houston. Any locals interested in a trustee setup?

I must say that Darkling was fantastic! Very happy I swung by last night to get in on that. Are there plans to do any more stouts in the near future (aside from the 2015 Society one)?

Getting more and more excited for 2015 barrel society. Maybe ill bump up to the 4 bottle package....

I must say that Darkling was fantastic! Very happy I swung by last night to get in on that. Are there plans to do any more stouts in the near future (aside from the 2015 Society one)?

Yes, we do have plans to brew more stouts. On our current tiny brew house high gravity beers are really tough to make. And by tough I mean nearly impossible. It requires an insane amount of labor and time. That's why we don't brew too many DIPA or other imperial styles at the moment. With our new brew house we specifically had it designed to allow us to brew bigger beers. We have a 25bbl mash tun and a 20bbl boil kettle, so we can cram a lot of grain into the mash! The new brew house will hopefully be online come late November; so more stouts, dipa and other awesomeness is ahead both for NSBS members and the general public.

Yeah after tasting darkling I was very happy I joined next year

The Darkling was our test for the 2015 Barrel Society Imperial Stout. We plan on making a few tweaks and changing a bit about its barrel aging to really amp it up to another level. So if you loved Darkling, the NSBS versions should kick even more ass.

Cheers!

Revived!

Anyone been drinking the Barrel Society beers? How are they? Should have a first shipment coming in soon and excited to try them.

Also the list of potential beers when we signed up was the following, thoughts on where the current releases fit and what is left to come?

• Double barrel stout first in bour on barrels then into port/wine barrels for extended aging.
    • Caravaggio?
  • Belgian style quad fermented with plum juice and aged in red wine barrels
  • Imperial saison aged in white and red wine barrels with wild yeast
    • Cezanne?
  • Wheat wine aged in rum and brandy barrels
    • Hogarth?
  • Wild red ale
    • Picasso?
  • Sour ale aged with TBD exotic fruits in tequila barrels
  • Golden sour aged with apricots in white wine barrels

I just drink a Picasso Last night, and really enjoyed it. Had an interesting profile, manly due to the barrel (barrels?)l presence I think. Looking forward to trying it again in a while.

Last edited:
I've been finding that the NS weisses are tremendously improved with a year or more on them. Opened last spring's Ever Weisse a few weeks back and it was just absurdly good.

Agreed. I couldn't stomach Mainer Weisse when it was fresh and now they have cleaned up a heck of a lot. Makes me feel a lot better about purchasing so many last year!

I've been finding that the NS weisses are tremendously improved with a year or more on them. Opened last spring's Ever Weisse a few weeks back and it was just absurdly good.

Huh. That's good to know. I thought last year's Ever Weisse wasn't very good fresh. I got a weird dill pickle note. This year's tasted exactly the same to me fresh, which is a good sign for consistency/stable culture, but nevertheless made me sad because fresh Ever Weisse used to be my jam. I will have to age some...

Huh. That's good to know. I thought last year's Ever Weisse wasn't very good fresh. I got a weird dill pickle note. This year's tasted exactly the same to me fresh, which is a good sign for consistency/stable culture, but nevertheless made me sad because fresh Ever Weisse used to be my jam. I will have to age some...

Ah so the dill is back eh? Yeah I'd say you should lay it down for 4-6 months to give it a chance to clear up (not very helpful when you want to drink a Berliner while its still warm out). Its a shame too since the 2013 bottles were delicious from the get-go, I guess that recipe change after 2013 muddled things a little bit.

... Boy, I'm not going to express my opinion on that one. Woof.

Just when I was thinking maaaybe it would be worth it to sign up for the 1-bottle version for dat member-only draft line...

Just when I was thinking maaaybe it would be worth it to sign up for the 1-bottle version for dat member-only draft line...
It only went up $10 for the one-bottle

It only went up $10 for the one-bottle

Yeah its not the $$ itself, like I give that much of a crap about 2 bucks a bottle, the way Night Shift goes about stuff just annoys me. Whatever, I'm just permanently homie-status at this point about NS, doesn't stop me drinking my weight in Whirlpool weekly these days.

For comparison, the new prices are:
  • Aficionado (1 bottle of each beer = 7 bottles total); $160 membership
  • Connoisseur (2 bottles of each beer = 14 bottles total); $280 membership
  • Cellarmaster (4 bottles of each beer = 28 bottles total); $525 membership
The annoying thing for me is that there's no mention of the price increase in the email they sent to current members. It could very easily be an oversight, but it definitely feels like something you'd remember to mention as the only other reason not to bring it up that I can think of is willfully obfuscating the higher price point from your customers until they've clicked through to your store page.

Last edited:

Eh, I'd still save your money. The members only draft line has been an abortion this year. It started with a ton of pluto to be burned off. Picasso and Caravaggio lasted almost no time on the line at all. There is a ton of the Hogarth, the shittiest beer of them all so far. To this point there have been very very few beers that have hit that draft line at all. The majority of the year has been Pluto and Hogarth.

I'll stick with the few beers they do well. The BS has been a joke all the way around. The sad thing is instead of making it better it's gotten worse almost every year and they still have the balls to raise the prices.

For comparison, the new prices are:
  • Aficionado (1 bottle of each beer = 7 bottles total); $160 membership
  • Connoisseur (2 bottles of each beer = 14 bottles total); $280 membership
  • Cellarmaster (4 bottles of each beer = 28 bottles total); $525 membership
The annoying thing for me is that there's no mention of the price increase in the email they sent to current members. It could very easily be an oversight, but it definitely feels like something you'd remember to mention as the only other reason not to bring it up that I can think of is willfully obfuscating the higher price point from your customers until they're clicked through to your store page.
Yeahhh... This makes me want to leave so... I'm out.

Saw this earlier and promptly chilled my last bottle from 6-14 batch. Gotta agree Gene , drinking outstanding right now.

X-post from DDT
23uq0wg.jpg

I'm out as well on rejoining..but I did rejoin the Rare Barrel. I gots an idea. If somebody does rejoin Night Shift, perhaps we could trade member beers...not sure the exact details, but I'm sure we could work out the details. BM if so.

Back