Night Shift releases, events, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like 7 I think? I can check later

Would be interested to know, but no worries if it was in that range. I know from repeated personal experience that batch #1 ages well, and my memory of a couple of bottles was that batch #2 aged fine too. I think it was a #7 I had most recently that was pretty much strawberry vinegar though. I'm not sure I understand why #2 and anything following it would be different though, because they brewed all of those batches in short succession...

Hey all,
I am a Co-Founder/Brewer at Night Shift. Didn't know this forum existed until I saw a link on FujOnTap facebook today. Most of the thread is a bit old but I wanted to follow up and answer any and all questions you have about our beers.

Just a few general response comments:
  • We never put out bad infected beer on purpose. We are too small of a business to risk losing costumers due to subpar beers. We have dumped and will continue to dump beer that does not taste to our standards.
  • We are always learning and by no means are perfect. Our processes combined with our yeast/bacteria culture took a nose dive for a few months in 2013. A combo of a super funky culture and open fermenters lead some berliners to get pretty freaking acidic. Some we caught before we bottled and dumped, others we caught too late and needed to be recalled/refunded. We have changed our berliner weisse culture to something we have way more control over. We stopped using open fermenters and switched to all stainless tanks and along with many other changes our berliners have improved. Cape Codder this year is on par with how our berliners will taste going forward. Subtle lactic tartness, wheaty and with nice fruity flavors and all super crushable.
  • A lot of our beers are weird. We like weird beers and everyone has different taste buds. Not all of our beers are to everyone's liking, we are cool with that. But will continue to explore and push the flavor profiles that exist in beer. As mush as I love a good pale ale or IPA they just don't excite me/us the same way a beer like Funky Buddha's Lemon Meringue berliner does. Thus we try to brew more weird beers.
  • That being said we are brewing more hoppy beers than ever before and hope you give them a shot. We think they are super tasty. Many are using American Ale yeast and sexy hops like Mosiac, Nelson, Citra, Amarillo and so forth.
  • We love Beliners. We love them so much we have even had many conversations about switching over to become a 100% berliner brewery. But at our current size we would go out of business unless we charged a **** ton more for them. They take significantly longer to make then a regular beer and usually are way more labor intensive (hours of chopping fruit). As we grow we plan on brewing a greater percentage of berliners.
  • We are humbled by the support of our Barrel Society members. We put a lot of time, effort, and thought into creating the beers each year. The cash flow from members has helped us grow and produce beers we couldn't afford to do with out help. Although, it doesn't seem like their was much love for last year's releases (at least in this forum) we sold triple the number of memberships this year. Looking forward to sharing beers like our blended Aurora (first release of 2014), prickly pear berliner, passion fruit saison, 100% Brett DIPA brewed with Galaxy, and so forth with this years members. Thanks for taking the chance and supporting our growth and creative process!
I know I am biased but Art #18 and Whirlpool (brewed with Mosaic and AU Summer) are both beers that we are really proud of and think they are some of our best yet.

As mentioned above, feel free to fire back any questions and please do keep any and all feedback coming.

Cheers,
Rob

They said it's draft only for now, I assume that means brewery only as well. They said they're considering canning and bottling for future releases.

First batch was only 3bbls. Some kegs went out to Area 4 Pizza place in Kendall. Brewing a larger 7bbl batch tomorrow that will be distributed to more of our draft accounts. No plans to bottle it but possible cans come summer.

Hey all,
I am a Co-Founder/Brewer at Night Shift. Didn't know this forum existed until I saw a link on FujOnTap facebook today. Most of the thread is a bit old but I wanted to follow up and answer any and all questions you have about our beers.

Just a few general response comments:
  • We never put out bad infected beer on purpose. We are too small of a business to risk losing costumers due to subpar beers. We have dumped and will continue to dump beer that does not taste to our standards.
  • We are always learning and by no means are perfect. Our processes combined with our yeast/bacteria culture took a nose dive for a few months in 2013. A combo of a super funky culture and open fermenters lead some berliners to get pretty freaking acidic. Some we caught before we bottled and dumped, others we caught too late and needed to be recalled/refunded. We have changed our berliner weisse culture to something we have way more control over. We stopped using open fermenters and switched to all stainless tanks and along with many other changes our berliners have improved. Cape Codder this year is on par with how our berliners will taste going forward. Subtle lactic tartness, wheaty and with nice fruity flavors and all super crushable.
  • A lot of our beers are weird. We like weird beers and everyone has different taste buds. Not all of our beers are to everyone's liking, we are cool with that. But will continue to explore and push the flavor profiles that exist in beer. As mush as I love a good pale ale or IPA they just don't excite me/us the same way a beer like Funky Buddha's Lemon Meringue berliner does. Thus we try to brew more weird beers.
  • That being said we are brewing more hoppy beers than ever before and hope you give them a shot. We think they are super tasty. Many are using American Ale yeast and sexy hops like Mosiac, Nelson, Citra, Amarillo and so forth.
  • We love Beliners. We love them so much we have even had many conversations about switching over to become a 100% berliner brewery. But at our current size we would go out of business unless we charged a **** ton more for them. They take significantly longer to make then a regular beer and usually are way more labor intensive (hours of chopping fruit). As we grow we plan on brewing a greater percentage of berliners.
  • We are humbled by the support of our Barrel Society members. We put a lot of time, effort, and thought into creating the beers each year. The cash flow from members has helped us grow and produce beers we couldn't afford to do with out help. Although, it doesn't seem like their was much love for last year's releases (at least in this forum) we sold triple the number of memberships this year. Looking forward to sharing beers like our blended Aurora (first release of 2014), prickly pear berliner, passion fruit saison, 100% Brett DIPA brewed with Galaxy, and so forth with this years members. Thanks for taking the chance and supporting our growth and creative process!
I know I am biased but Art #18 and Whirlpool (brewed with Mosaic and AU Summer) are both beers that we are really proud of and think they are some of our best yet.

As mentioned above, feel free to fire back any questions and please do keep any and all feedback coming.

Cheers,
Rob

Great to see you on here, Rob. Hope you understand all of my criticisms, at least, are meant to be constructive- I know I am snarky sometimes but it's always intended to be in a loving way. I think you guys are an important part of the Boston beer community and I am excited to see you continue to grow. Taking chances is cool, and I really do like that your business model, however you've set it up, appears to be able to support taking serious chances, brewing really out there beers, etc. I think, perhaps, that a few of the beers you have released are perhaps ones that a more anal-retentive brewer might have dumped or chosen not to brew after the pilot batch stage - but c'est la vie. I think to some degree, I suffer from "Hill Farmstead Syndrome", where if every beer a brewery makes isn't awesome, I find something to nitpick. And it's not like I don't find things to nitpick about HFS either. It's true that a good number of beers you guys have made, I've been pretty negative about, but I think I am positive about a similar number.

Glad to hear that issues with the berliner culture may have/have been resolved - I had no issue with pounding all my fruited ones immediately after purchase, but it's especially nice in the trading community to be able to send a bottle over to someone even a few months after release and not have to worry that it'll have taken a nosedive.

May I humbly suggest/request that you brew and release an unfruited/unspiced berliner this summer? You guys like cool/weird things - I think an unfruited berliner would be awesome in cans for the summer, even more so if you find some local partner to produce syrup(s) to go with. NEBCO's Weiss Trash was one of my favorite summer beers last year- the format/season just are perfect together. Even if it was growler only, I would enjoy as well. And perhaps this reduces the labor load, for that batch at least.

I was less than satisfied with the beers from the 2013 Barrel Society, but that doesn't mean I regret my purchase - I don't at all. I kind of expected what I got, actually - you guys are a young brewery doing a lot of risky things, and I didn't expect every beer to be a home run. I was very happy to give you my money to support your growth. To be perfectly honest, 99% of the reason I didn't reup for 2014 is because all of my favorite beers you guys have made were non-barrel society beers, and with the exception of Bean Porter, they were also all not barrel aged. I still look forward to tasting this year's beers and I'll be back again next year if it heads in a direction I'm interested in stylistically.

Cheers and hope you stick around here!

The last three beers that I've had from you guys (Codder, some hoppy beer, and the one spiked with 3F dregs) struck me as the most well brewed/fermented that I've had from you, to the point where I assumed one or more serious changes in process (water composition?), as well as a clear change in your souring technique for the berliners. I enjoyed some of the weisses you put out (Ever) and found some others quite acetic, but Codder is the first one that actually drank like a berliner. There is a bit of that weird 'sour mash smell' in Codder, but I imagine you'll get that hammered out in time.

Glad to see your beers improving and your business growing, I think even those critical of your product are happy to see the local guy(s) succeeding.

Welcome to TB! Love interacting with local brewers on these forums. This place is less strict, so (i think) feel free to pimp your wares here. Prickly pear berliner and passion fruit saison? I knew I'd regret not re-upping.

Welcome to TB! Love interacting with local brewers on these forums. This place is less strict, so (i think) feel free to pimp your wares here. Prickly pear berliner and passion fruit saison? I knew I'd regret not re-upping.

Yeah, the Prickly Pear berliner had me chomping at the bit....

Thanks for the warm welcome tehzachatak, Auror , MasterCraft! If you couldn't tell from our social media we love to interact with our fans/customers. I try my best to stay active on all channels from BA, twitter, FB, Insta, and Untappd. So keep the feedback both positive and negative coming.

MasterCraft - yes, we have changed and improved many parts of our process in the last 6 months. From bringing in more lab equipment, to adjusting our water profiles better, to changes in dry hopping techniques and even how we carbonate beer. Like I mentioned before, we are on a mission to constantly improve our beers. We are restless about it, literally.

tehzachatak - We also want/hope to can a berliner for the summer months. Right now we don't have the economies of scale to make it happen. But that is changing very soon. Our 20bbl brew house and 40bbl fermenters arrive in 4-5weeks (end of April). And if things go smoothly we should be brewing using the new equipment by mid May. Hopefully come July-August we can put some sour beer in the can!

Side comment: Some fruits being debated for the Mystery Weisse Berliner (that is is part of our Sour Futures) are Guava, Mango, & Peaches. Also in contention is a red, white and blue berliner which would be raspberries, white grape must, & blueberries.

Prickly pear berliner, passion fruit saison,

Hey rob both those fruited Society beers sound fantastic and I cant wait to give my trustee the call to go get them!

I'm excited to try art #18 since im pretty sure a buddy out there is grabbin me a bottle or two of it.

cheers, and i'll probably hop in on the sours, everything you've mentioned with the mystery one has me very curious.

one question regarding beers, Did you change the recipe on Codder? it's less sour(not any less good) than i remember last years being.

one question regarding beers, Did you change the recipe on Codder? it's less sour(not any less good) than i remember last years being.

We did make some tweaks to the codder recipe this year. 2013 batch 1 had a bit of caramel malt that we removed in 2014 batches (2-3). Also, we pitched a less aggressive bacteria (Lacto) culture so the beer would be more drinkable and less acidic. Lastly, the cranberries this year came from a small farm in Maine instead of a larger farmer in MA. Not sure the exact differences the berries origin had on the final product. All these changes we made to hopefully improve Cape Codder and make it more enjoyable to consume. Hope we succeeded!

As mentioned earlier we are always trying to adjust and improve our recipes and processes to put out better and more high quality beers. We are still learning and really appreciate everyone supporting us in this journey!

We did make some tweaks to the codder recipe this year. 2013 batch 1 had a bit of caramel malt that we removed in 2014 batches (2-3). Also, we pitched a less aggressive bacteria (Lacto) culture so the beer would be more drinkable and less acidic. Lastly, the cranberries this year came from a small farm in Maine instead of a larger farmer in MA. Not sure the exact differences the berries origin had on the final product. All these changes we made to hopefully improve Cape Codder and make it more enjoyable to consume. Hope we succeeded!

As mentioned earlier we are always trying to adjust and improve our recipes and processes to put out better and more high quality beers. We are still learning and really appreciate everyone supporting us in this journey!

Finally coming by to pick up Cape Codder tonight for a couple folks tonight. Looking forward to it. Haven't been over in a while!

Hey robNSB would you be open to doing an ask me anything (AMA)? We have a section here set up for people to ask brewers questions about their business. We already have danyp from fantome, degardebrewing and a few others. I will put in a request if you are open to it.

Sure! Happy to talk more about our business, our beers, the industry, or shoot the **** on anything. Sign me up!

Night Shift just released a 5% ABV pale with american ale yeast, Mosaic and AU summer hops, and no other adjuncts (!!!).

I almost can't actually believe this exists. Will be going to try. Good acid test on brewing ability here.

Batch 2 of Whirlpool has just been kegged and is on tap. This is a larger batch than the previous one. Tweaked the recipe a bit (same hop profile) and brought the abv down to 4%. Really soft, delicate beer bursting with ripe peach... not our typical style but who cares if its damn good IMO. Crushable. Draft and growlers. Some bars will see this beer too!

Also, released our Art #20: El Lechedor last night. Mexican style milk stout with poblano peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and fermented in oak. Drinks like a chocolate cinnamon bun! In bottles and on draft.

Cheers,
Rob

My best guess is they will be gone by early next week. People all seemed to be buying the max of 4 last night. We might lower the max next week to spread the love if that trend continues. Cheers.
well **** i feel bad sending my buddy out to haul me some :/

My best guess is they will be gone by early next week. People all seemed to be buying the max of 4 last night. We might lower the max next week to spread the love if that trend continues. Cheers.

Will there be Ever Weisse for sale at the brewery on the 6th? Or was it completely sold out through futures?

Will there be Ever Weisse for sale at the brewery on the 6th? Or was it completely sold out through futures?

We will have ~250 bottles of Ever for sale to non-sour-future people on Monday from the first batch of the year. More will be bottled later this month which should give us another 1,500 or so bottles for sale.

We will have ~250 bottles of Ever for sale to non-sour-future people on Monday from the first batch of the year. More will be bottled later this month which should give us another 1,500 or so bottles for sale.
i hopped on the sour future train and am very much excited. my poor gopickupformebro pjl44 is probably gonna have to be paypaled some money to pick me up some proper glass and maybe a shirt or four as well :/ i have a problem....

Damn, Art #20 is really delicious. It's like cake beer.

Agreed. Glad I made it in to pick up a few bottles, stuff is amazing. One of my favorites of the year so far. A lot of great flavors going on in there from start to finish with the cinnamon/nutmeg and vanilla/peppers. And chocolate perhaps?

Awesome to hear you are enjoying Art #20. We named this Art as we have plans to brew this again. Won't be brewed again till the fall but El Lechedor will return!

Art 21, our black saison with blackberries aged in oak, bottles should go on sale later this evening or Saturday (depends when the labels arrive). It is tasting awesome! The final blend also included a barrel that held the same black saison recipe but instead of blackberries it got shiraz grape must and a dose of Brett. Dark Chocolate, roasty nose with hints of smoke and tobacco. Dry, black pepper, and deep dark fruit notes. Subtle berry tartness on the finish. Slight warmth from the bourbon barrels. I am loving the mix of aroma and flavor. Hope you all will too!

Awesome to hear you are enjoying Art #20. We named this Art as we have plans to brew this again. Won't be brewed again till the fall but El Lechedor will return!

Art 21, our black saison with blackberries aged in oak, bottles should go on sale later this evening or Saturday (depends when the labels arrive). It is tasting awesome! The final blend also included a barrel that held the same black saison recipe but instead of blackberries it got shiraz grape must and a dose of Brett. Dark Chocolate, roasty nose with hints of smoke and tobacco. Dry, black pepper, and deep dark fruit notes. Subtle berry tartness on the finish. Slight warmth from the bourbon barrels. I am loving the mix of aroma and flavor. Hope you all will too!

Any chance that Art 21 will make it until Monday or is it a real small batch?

Seems like you guys have something amazing coming out almost every week these days!

We have a bit of brewers ADD. So many ideas in the works and in our heads. Also, a ton of experiments stashed in oak. We love to drink a variety of styles and thus keep cranking out beers across the board. Always getting inspiration from new places and turning them into brews. Plus our new brewers are bringing their own ideas to the table.

Being able to serve drafts at our taproom has also allowed us to put out more beers in a similar manner to a brewpub. Never ending lineup of rotating beers.

We have a bit of brewers ADD. So many ideas in the works and in our heads. Also, a ton of experiments stashed in oak. We love to drink a variety of styles and thus keep cranking out beers across the board. Always getting inspiration from new places and turning them into brews. Plus our new brewers are bringing their own ideas to the table.

Being able to serve drafts at our taproom has also allowed us to put out more beers in a similar manner to a brewpub. Never ending lineup of rotating beers.

Are you guys going to have more Art beers coming this or the next month?

Are you guys going to have more Art beers coming this or the next month?

We have lots of exciting beers in the pipeline for the next 4 weeks or so. Some of them will have proper names but some will become Art beers. You can get a preview of whats to come on our On Tap page. Beers I am excited about are Citrus Saison (which will have a name), the American DIPA brewed with Ella and Citra, & the oyster Gose!

We also plan on creating another barrel aged funky Art blend within the next few weeks as well.

Cheers!

We have lots of exciting beers in the pipeline for the next 4 weeks or so. Some of them will have proper names but some will become Art beers. You can get a preview of whats to come on our On Tap page. Beers I am excited about are Citrus Saison (which will have a name), the American DIPA brewed with Ella and Citra, & the oyster Gose!

We also plan on creating another barrel aged funky Art blend within the next few weeks as well.

Cheers!
Rob i gotta commend you on art 18 thats a funky bit of goodness.

Back