Night Shift releases, events, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on the cinnamon. I'm hoping that fades with time.

Very much looking forward to Holy Mole this weekend!

I agree on the cinnamon. I'm hoping that fades with time.

Very much looking forward to Holy Mole this weekend!

Yeah, the cinnamon was not my favorite, but the cleaner sour is what made me happier... I'm beginning to think maybe I just got a bad bottle of Mainer last year, because it just tasted like yogurt...

Yeah, the cinnamon was not my favorite, but the cleaner sour is what made me happier... I'm beginning to think maybe I just got a bad bottle of Mainer last year, because it just tasted like yogurt...
why do you hate yogurt so much?

6oz_Blueberry_FOTB-lg.png

Picked up my Knight Weisse. Good, but i was hoping for great.

Picked up my Knight Weisse. Good, but i was hoping for great.

Yeah, I did not think it was great. Just very good. There is brett, so perhaps it will benefit from some aging, but the flavor profile doesn't really make me think it will.

Ticket policy for the Barrel Society party - really weird. Threw my girlfriend's name on my account so she could pick up my beer if she was nearby, but she's not around the date of the party, and now that decision apparently means I can't bring a guest? :confused:

Ticket policy for the Barrel Society party - really weird. Threw my girlfriend's name on my account so she could pick up my beer if she was nearby, but she's not around the date of the party, and now that decision apparently means I can't bring a guest? :confused:
call and yell.. normally works in my time being fussy about things

You all are making me thirsty. I'm splitting an NS membership with a friend next year. Looking forward to trying some of these.

You all are making me thirsty. I'm splitting an NS membership with a friend next year. Looking forward to trying some of these.

fwiw, to date their best beer has been non-barrel society stuff. not saying i regret my membership, but the BS stuff has been really hit or miss.

Anyone going to the Night Shift party on Saturday night? Any thoughts on the storm rolling in? Sounds like it won't be too bad, but does Everett allow street parking in a storm?

Anyone going to the Night Shift party on Saturday night? Any thoughts on the storm rolling in? Sounds like it won't be too bad, but does Everett allow street parking in a storm?

1. Yes
2. I'm taking a cab anyway because I have a feeling I am going to overindulge a little bit.
3. Unsure if they do, but there's not really a place to park anywhere that the town would care about, I don't think... I would assume the town is not who plows the road that they're on?

1. Yes
2. I'm taking a cab anyway because I have a feeling I am going to overindulge a little bit.
3. Unsure if they do, but there's not really a place to park anywhere that the town would care about, I don't think... I would assume the town is not who plows the road that they're on?

I live south of Boston so a cab is not a great option, plus the guest pass is for the DD (aka wife).

I figured the number of cars would require people to park on Broadway, which is obviously a big enough road that they might care. But if enough people cab it and the snow keeps many away, then maybe there will be plenty of parking within the industrial park and Charlton St.

I live south of Boston so a cab is not a great option, plus the guest pass is for the DD (aka wife).

I figured the number of cars would require people to park on Broadway, which is obviously a big enough road that they might care. But if enough people cab it and the snow keeps many away, then maybe there will be plenty of parking within the industrial park and Charlton St.

I betcha if you show up early enough, you'll be able to get a spot on Charlton. I got a spot for the Ever Weisse party, I think, and that was in better weather and open to the public.

Brief comments:

Food: ****ing awesome (although would have been nice if the fried stuff was warm - c'est la vie). Dat fried chicken. And also, the duck paté was glooooorious.

Art 13 (brandy barrel rye with brett): Surprisingly good.
Art 14 (sour wheat with pluots): Unsurprisingly good, but not great. I snagged a couple bottles.
Art 15 (saison with meyer lemon and lime, I think, aged in Chardonnay barrels): literally tasted like white wine. I think they said it had 7 months in white wine... needed about 1. I did not think this was a badly made beer, but incredibly off-putting to me. I am not a Chardonnay fan.

Bean Porter (coffee+vanilla porter in bourbon + rye barrels): Star of the night for me. Insane amounts of coffee. Backing beer needs a little work, but has seeeerrious potential. Also snagged a couple bottles.

Renaissance (the "community" barrel beer- high gravity rye cherry in wine barrels): Pretty good. I think this could age well.

Excalibur (maple syrup barleywine in rum barrels): Yikes. If not the worst single beer I've had from Night Shift, damn close. Incredibly oxidized AND incredibly hot, which is a really bad combo, IMO. Also very little rum character. This was pretty terrible and I don't see it improving much given the degree of oxidation it already seems to have, but who knows...

Definitely a good time. Food was fantastic - greatly exceeded my expectations.

Art 13 was my favorite Art. I liked the Bean Porter a lot, but it would benefit from another 2-3% on the ABV.

Excalibur was hot as hell, but I thought there was quite a bit of interesting stuff going on. I didn't taste heavy oxidization - I wonder if you had a pour from an off bottle? That heat will fade nicely in a year or two, and as long as there isn't a widespread oxidization issue, I actually think this beer might be fantastic after some time.

All in all it was a fun party that should only get better with the new space next year. One recommendation for next year is to toss a couple of kegs of something like Seaglass or Snow on tap next year, just to reset the palette a bit amongst all the barrel flavors.

Thanks Night Shift!

Definitely a good time. Food was fantastic - greatly exceeded my expectations.

Art 13 was my favorite Art. I liked the Bean Porter a lot, but it would benefit from another 2-3% on the ABV.

Excalibur was hot as hell, but I thought there was quite a bit of interesting stuff going on. I didn't taste heavy oxidization - I wonder if you had a pour from an off bottle? That heat will fade nicely in a year or two, and as long as there isn't a widespread oxidization issue, I actually think this beer might be fantastic after some time.

All in all it was a fun party that should only get better with the new space next year. One recommendation for next year is to toss a couple of kegs of something like Seaglass or Snow on tap next year, just to reset the palette a bit amongst all the barrel flavors.

Thanks Night Shift!

Yeah, I wonder if I had a pour from a bad bottle too. I tasted seriously crazy oxidation. And completely agreed on the Bean Porter - a little thicker and higher ABV would probably do great things to that beer.

And completely agreed on the Bean Porter - a little thicker and higher ABV would probably do great things to that beer.

I wonder if that's intentional on their part. Consistently brewing non-Imperial stouts to buck the marketplace trend? As far as I know they've only had 1 IS and it was a very brief Art series entry. Holy Mole was slightly higher ABV than the beers it was blended from also, I guess.

I wonder if that's intentional on their part. Consistently brewing non-Imperial stouts to buck the marketplace trend? As far as I know they've only had 1 IS and it was a very brief Art series entry. Holy Mole was slightly higher ABV than the beers it was blended from also, I guess.

Could be. There's a reason why imperial stouts are so popular though - they're simply a better balancing vessel for wacky ingredients like coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, etc.

Interesting. The Excalibur bottle I drank from was super smooth albeit a little sweet for my tastes. There was significant flavor from the rum barrels but nothing I would consider heat.

Also: corn dogs, yo.

Interesting. The Excalibur bottle I drank from was super smooth albeit a little sweet for my tastes. There was significant flavor from the rum barrels but nothing I would consider heat.

Also: corn dogs, yo.

You know, I tried Excalibur for my first beer, and then nightcapped with it for a second pour. I thought the nightcap was much smoother, but I wrote it off as my palate being destroyed from 3.5 hours of imperial barrel beers and an equivalent amount of heavy food. But it's starting to sound like there might be some crazy bottle variation going on here...

You know, I tried Excalibur for my first beer, and then nightcapped with it for a second pour. I thought the nightcap was much smoother, but I wrote it off as my palate being destroyed from 3.5 hours of imperial barrel beers and an equivalent amount of heavy food. But it's starting to sound like there might be some crazy bottle variation going on here...
Bottle variation with Night Shift #GASP Well now they've solved the problem ;)
1609587_648865071822154_1053792126_n.jpg

:rolleyes:

^is that stuff good CypherEnigma

I tried it last night. I'd say it's..fine. Not enough salt or caramel (i think it may just be caramel malt, not an additive), but it got a bit better as it warmed. kcbaby agrees: "Could have had more flavor. But I liked it as a fairly easy drinking can. Oddly, maybe a lawnmower beer." It's basically an easy-drinking amber with a couple other things going on.

I
I tried it last night. I'd say it's..fine. Not enough salt or caramel (i think it may just be caramel malt, not an additive), but it got a bit better as it warmed. kcbaby agrees: "Could have had more flavor. But I liked it as a fairly easy drinking can. Oddly, maybe a lawnmower beer." It's basically an easy-drinking amber with a couple other things going on.
I'll stick by that.

I thought Valentino was a berliner last time?
It was. It may have had rye but it also a bit of caramel malt and was aged in rum barrels which was really tasty.

Am I reading those labels as Valentino and Valentina? Wonder if there is any difference other than being from different barrels.

It was. It may have had rye but it also a bit of caramel malt and was aged in rum barrels which was really tasty.

Am I reading those labels as Valentino and Valentina? Wonder if there is any difference other than being from different barrels.

Rye vs. Golden? Sounds like different base beers/grain bills.

Back