NHC 2014 - Limit of 6 Entries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they going to change the name from National Homebrew Competition to AHA Competition?

It’s a good idea to use the local comps as qualifiers, but I don’t see it happening. The sanctioning is AHA/BJCP and I don’t envision the AHA competing with itself.

The NHC as a competition has been rather integrated in the NHC as a conference for years now. The National Homebrewers Convention is run by the AHA. They run the NHC comp too. It's National in scope too, just like the conference. Why would they change the name just because they have to clamp down on eligibility? The demand grows every year so there's no way it could be run the same way it had. Someone is always going to be pissed off, especially those that hate change regardless of the direction it's moving.

The BJCP sanctions the AHA NHC process because its run within BJCP guidelines for comps which clearly include the option to be exclusive. I don't think there will be any appreciable impact on the popularity of the comp. I personally don't choose to be an AHA member for any other reason than to physically attend the conference. If it weren't for that, I'd leave membership alone along with the competition.

Why would they change the name just because they have to clamp down on eligibility?

Because National Homebrew Competition implies that it’s open to everybody, when it’s actually a club competition. As the comp becomes increasingly irrelevant, I feel they could choose a more descriptive name.

This year the winners will have an asterisk, because this is the year they disqualified one million homebrewers. That’s gonna really cut into the bragging rights.

Because National Homebrew Competition implies that it’s open to everybody, when it’s actually a club competition. As the comp becomes increasingly irrelevant, I feel they could choose a more descriptive name.

This year the winners will have an asterisk, because this is the year they disqualified one million homebrewers. That’s gonna really cut into the bragging rights.

So should the NFL not be called the NFL because I can't put together my own team?

As opposed to all the homebrewers every year that are disqualified by an overloaded server with a comparatively small amount of possible entries? Let's be clear here: every homebrewer who wants to enter has not been able to enter prior to this. Should every prior year's winners have an asterisk because they had a faster internet connection or lucked out in getting through long enough to sign up?

I’m old and irrelevant, but I just don’t get the attitude of some people here. If it doesn’t directly benefit me I won’t support it. Same people who don’t register to vote, but ***** about the way the government is run? Hey, I don’t like any of the candidates anyway. Damn, you’re a homebrewer and this is the organization that supports you and your right to brew. I’d think that anyone into the hobby enough to brew, get there beer to the first round and then shipped across the country for the final round could not only afford, but want to be part of the AHA. Stop the petty ‘me” crap and look at the big picture. I haven’t raced motorcycles in over 35 years, but I’m still a member of the AMA. Just a way to support the guys coming up. But, yeah, old and irrelevant.

Time to put down the Wheatwine? :drunk:

Nah! It's too early. Happy New Year!

Where's the sarcasm smiley? I really do love you guys.

I’m old and irrelevant, but I just don’t get the attitude of some people here. If it doesn’t directly benefit me I won’t support it. Same people who don’t register to vote, but ***** about the way the government is run? Hey, I don’t like any of the candidates anyway. Damn, you’re a homebrewer and this is the organization that supports you and your right to brew. I’d think that anyone into the hobby enough to brew, get there beer to the first round and then shipped across the country for the final round could not only afford, but want to be part of the AHA. Stop the petty ‘me” crap and look at the big picture. I haven’t raced motorcycles in over 35 years, but I’m still a member of the AMA. Just a way to support the guys coming up. But, yeah, old and irrelevant.

Well said. The AHA was instrumental in getting homebrew legalized in all 50 states. They do a lot to benefit us. Not to mention, the perks of membership are pretty nice. I use the pub discounts all the time.

I guess that's where I am. I mean, sure, old and irrelevant, but also I gain nothing tangible from the AHA.

But.............here's the thing. Homebrewing is now legal in all 50 days, due in a large part to the AHA. It didn't directly benefit me, as the laws in Michigan are pretty homebrew-friendly and I get no pub discounts where I live. The magazine is nice- but my dues didn't cover all of that cost. Instead, the AHA helped to make those law changes and helped us to get homebrewing competitions in places like Wisconsin and Oregon legal.

I'm not always into only supporting organizations that only directly benefit me. The American Legion benefits others via scholarships and things for the future, but I still will pay my dues. The same with the AHA. I don't get pub discounts, I'm in a homebrew-friendly state, and I don't enter the NHC due to traveling at the wrong time of the year.

So, I don't get anything from the AHA at all in those benefits. That doesn't make it unfair- it's just the way it is for me. As a group, we can help each other and that's what's important.

To mix that up with being angry about joining the AHA in order to enter the NHC is something I don't understand. If you don't want to join, don't. Entering the NHC is just something that would be a benefit to joining. You're not being punished for not joining- you just aren't gaining the benefit that members have.

I'm a member of AAA. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be screaming about the discount at hotels that AAA members have. It's the same thing, in my mind.

If you want the benefits of the AHA, then join! If not, don't. But don't complain when you don't get the benefits. I'm not seeing the problem here.

If you want the benefits of the AHA, then join! If not, don't. But don't complain when you don't get the benefits. I'm not seeing the problem here.

The problem is that not being a member of the AHA has never been a barrier to entering the NHC. When you just up and change the rules like they're doing you're going to rankle some feathers. I'm not saying I necessarily have a problem with the rule change, but I certainly see where some people are coming from being angry with the AHA. Your analogy about AAA is inaccurate since AAA membership has always been very cut and dry. You're either a member or you're not and therefore your benefits are contingent upon being a member of AAA. The same cannot be said of the AHA since, until now, NHC registration has never been a benefit of AHA membership.

Changes are for the better. There were lots of people with issues last year, the comp organizers had to do something. They talked to the members and they did it. It was a lose-lose for them. I'm sure there will be even more changes and tweaks through the years. Kuddos to the AHA and NHC...good luck everyone.

I’m not angry, I’m sad. The AHA was overwhelmed and instead of bucking up they buckled. I’m disappointed that instead of fixing their problems they withdrew.

I’m involved with the Bluebonnet Brew Off. We recently limited entries to 1 per subcategory, 20 per person or team and 1525 total. It’s a lot of work to deal with nearly 5000 bottles. Had we limited it to the four sponsoring clubs it probably would have collapsed. Everybody, entrants and volunteers would have lost interest.

I’m not saying that is going to happen to the NHC or that it should. I’m saying that it’s a shame and that their short sightedness is going to hurt them in the long run.

They say working with volunteers is like herding cats. You have to keep ‘em motivated.

What sort of message is the AHA sending? That sort of malaise is contagious. If anybody asks me to do anything for the AHA I’m likely to conclude that it’s too much trouble. If they don’t care, why should I?

What exactly would bucking up mean? Add more regional judging locations?

And then people ***** about new poorly run regional comps...

The interest in the NHComp and NHConference has outgrown its ability to handle all of the interest. I don't know what else was feasible other than formalizing a lottery for entries and attendance, which, as pointed out, was essentially an IT lottery due to website issues the past couple years.

I don’t know anything about the NHC, I can’t say how to fix it. It ‘s hard to imagine that it’s unfixable.

If it were up to me, I would use some of the local comps as qualifiers for the regional. When we judge the first round, the organizers tell us how many out of each flight to ‘push’, that is go to the second round. The AHA could tell selected comps how many entrants they could qualify. The regionals would get a fixed amount of excellent beers, and the National would get the best of the best.

Alternately, you could use the local comps to replace the regionals. In a big competition anything that goes to the second round is pretty good. The AHA could use the local competitions to select however many beers they want. If their problem is numbers the infrastructure exists to control that with very little effort.

Getting the local comps involved would generate interest in the AHA, in case they want to represent more than 4% of the homebrewers.

Add me to the list of people who question why folks who aren't members of the AHA get a say in any of this.

Yes the AHA and NHC have experienced growing pains. I was one of the folks who was shut out of entering the 2013 competition because my regional judging center was slammed with entries. It sucked.

But the solution to the overwhelming demand is not as simple as adding servers. All beers entered need to be judged and judged competently. There's no way the AHA could throw money at that problem - the pool of BJCP judges is somewhat beyond their control.

It is obvious that some entrants are going to be frustrated and disappointed until the supply of judges catches up with the demand of entries. I can't think of one good reason to give benefit to a brewer who refuses to support the AHA at the expense of a brewer who does support the AHA.

The AHA is right to support AHA members before it courts non-AHA members. If you want the benefits of AHA membership, become an AHA member - it's just that simple.

That being said, the AHA would be smart to work quickly to ensure that all AHA members CAN submit entries to the NHC competition. If I continue to get shut out, I'll need to rethink renewing my membership. I'm as charitable as the next guy - but $50 is 50lbs of 2-Row. :)

Add me to the list of people who question why folks who aren't members of the AHA get a say in any of this.

AHA membership has historically not been a requirement for entry to the NHC. As far as I'm aware of, the only benefit of being an AHA member in the past with regards to the NHC was a discounted entry cost and early registration (hypothetically).

There were 2,187 entrants in the NHC last year, with the proceeds going to benefit the AHA and their membership. People who say that non-AHA members shouldn't have a voice in this are disregarding the fact that non-members were charged $17 an entry last year. That was one of, if it not the highest, entry fees for a single entry to a homebrew competition last year.

Yes the AHA and NHC have experienced growing pains. I was one of the folks who was shut out of entering the 2013 competition because my regional judging center was slammed with entries. It sucked.

I feel for you man. A lot of people got shut out entirely while some people were able to register the full limit. The reason this happened is because the AHA underestimated the demand and the server and software crashed almost immediately.

But the solution to the overwhelming demand is not as simple as adding servers. All beers entered need to be judged and judged competently. There's no way the AHA could throw money at that problem - the pool of BJCP judges is somewhat beyond their control.

It is obvious that some entrants are going to be frustrated and disappointed until the supply of judges catches up with the demand of entries. I can't think of one good reason to give benefit to a brewer who refuses to support the AHA at the expense of a brewer who does support the AHA.

I honestly think the AHA is going to have a very hard time finding enough qualified judges for all the regional competitions, if that's what they're doing this year. As a I said a couple pages back, judges are volunteers and are not paid or compensated for their time/expenses and not all judges are AHA members. Most judges I know, including myself, would not go out of their way to judge a competition that they themselves could not enter. If the regional was held in Raleigh, I'd likely judge just for the experience points, but I wouldn't go out of my way and I suspect that most judges would feel the same.

Now I did see on the AHA forums that judges/volunteers for this year might be getting a "free" entry to next years NHC which would be a good carrot.

When you're dealing with a 750-entry competition, you need to have around 75-80 judges plus stewards plus organizers just to handle the crush. The AHA also puts the emphasis on having higher ranking judges at these events - with the exception of the 2nd round, I question whether if that will be feasible at all the regional locations (again if that's how they're doing it for 2014).

I saw some complaints about the short version BJCP scoresheet which is what I believe they're using for this year's NHC. We used the short version for the NC State Fair and as a judge I really liked it. It was easier to get through a larger volume of entries with a small pool of judges (and non-BJCP judges). The point of the state fair was to determine winners not to necessarily provide quality feedback. I personally wouldn't be thrilled to spend $12 an entry (based on 2013 fees) to get back a short version scoresheet especially when the AHA specifically wants high ranking judges involved. The short version sheet kind of defeats the need for high ranking judges as well...

The AHA is right to support AHA members before it courts non-AHA members. If you want the benefits of AHA membership, become an AHA member - it's just that simple.

That being said, the AHA would be smart to work quickly to ensure that all AHA members CAN submit entries to the NHC competition. If I continue to get shut out, I'll need to rethink renewing my membership. I'm as charitable as the next guy - but $50 is 50lbs of 2-Row. :)

Well like I mentioned above, being an AHA member hasn't ever been a requirement to enter the NHC. The membership benefits (Pub benefits, zymurgy, a book, knowing you're supporting an organization) didn't include unrestricted entry to the NHC in the past.

Honestly, changes needed to made after last year and this is probably the best way to do it. The competition is just too big for the AHA to manage and still keep everyone happy. I think this does "cheapen" it though as placing or winning is just beating out other AHA members. It's essentially going to be a very large club-only competition. I hope that it goes smoothly this year though and that the AHA reconsiders making the NHC as an exclusive event for their membership for 2015.

It says in Zymurgy that 2013 judges, stewards, and competition organizers will be guaranteed entry into the competition, and will be continued in future years.

That's the carrot, I guess, to encourage BJCP judges to help out.

Registration for the conference will also be via lottery. That means that some AHA members will not be able to purchase a ticket. That sucks, too, but it's the way to avoid a major crash when registration opens. To attend the conference, even as a judge, you have to be an AHA member, and buy a conference ticket. Sometimes, it's hard to be completely fair. Some AHA members won't be able to attend the conference if it (again) sells out (and it will). Some of the members who want to buy a ticket are BJCP judges. There isn't a shortcut to avoid the rules, and I know that it's hard to accomodate all of those who which to attend.

The same is true with the competition- it's impossible to accommodate everyone so some rules have to be in place so that the AHA can do their best.

Registration for the conference will also be via lottery. That means that some AHA members will not be able to purchase a ticket. That sucks, too, but it's the way to avoid a major crash when registration opens. To attend the conference, even as a judge, you have to be an AHA member, and buy a conference ticket. Sometimes, it's hard to be completely fair. Some AHA members won't be able to attend the conference if it (again) sells out (and it will). Some of the members who want to buy a ticket are BJCP judges. There isn't a shortcut to avoid the rules, and I know that it's hard to accomodate all of those who which to attend.

That bites. I know people who went last year and they went as a group, as I would imagine most people did. I wouldn't want to miss out on the conference and not be able to go with everyone else.

The same is true with the competition- it's impossible to accommodate everyone so some rules have to be in place so that the AHA can do their best.

Agree 100%. I'm hoping it goes very smoothly so that they reconsider expanding it for future years.

I would become an AHA member if they would guarantee me at least one entry. But, I'm certainly not going to sign up if I'll just get shut out. I'll stick to regional comps.

So if I pre register for six beers hoping I'm selected for one or two, but I do get drawn for six, but then I don't pay for those entries I may be disqualified from next year's comp? :drunk: :confused:

I would become an AHA member if they would guarantee me at least one entry. But, I'm certainly not going to sign up if I'll just get shut out. I'll stick to regional comps.

40,000+ AHA members, 9,000 slots in 12 regions....just not possible to guarantee members one spot, even though I'm sure most of the membership doesn't enter...

So if I pre register for six beers hoping I'm selected for one or two, but I do get drawn for six, but then I don't pay for those entries I may be disqualified from next year's comp? :drunk: :confused:

Yeah - I did not understand that either. It said you cannot delete any entries...... So I don't understand how that works exactly - If you enter 6, you have to pay for 6 no matter how many you are allowed to enter?

FROM AHA:

"Though there is a maximum of six entries per entrant in this year’s competition registration, the actual maximum number of entries per entrant generated by the selection process could be fewer than six entries.

..... Upon notification, registrants will have three days to pay for the entries that were accepted into the competition. .......Entrants can also update/edit their entries (though they will not be able to add or delete any entries) once notified that their entries have been accepted into the competition.

Failure to pay within three days of notification will result in dismissal from the 2014 competition and could be grounds for disqualification from the 2015 competition."

Am I missing something here? You register 6, you are allowed to only enter say 3, but you have to pay for 6 because you are not allowed to delete any entries??????

I'm assuming whatever number you get through the lottery you have to pay for. Meaning, if you put in for six, you win spots for three - you have to pay for three; you can't say that you'd rather just pay for one or two at that point.

Key phrase being "pay for entries that were selected."

I'm down with the price increase; it will make you think about it a little more before you send in an entry that's a little 'iffy.'

I wonder if they're still planning on awarding a Ninkasi? With a possible max of 6 entries per brewer, they may not have anyone get multiple medals. I doubt they want to deal with a 28-way tie.

I'm down with the price increase; it will make you think about it a little more before you send in an entry that's a little 'iffy.'

I wonder if they're still planning on awarding a Ninkasi? With a possible max of 6 entries per brewer, they may not have anyone get multiple medals. I doubt they want to deal with a 28-way tie.

The Ninkasi will be awarded by lottery. You pay $58 for a scratch off ticket. Only 1,800 tickets are issued and only one wins.

I think the bump in cost is to offset the loss in revenue from non-AHA (scrum!!!!) Entries. Last year they paid $17 an entry and I think non member entry numbers were fairly significant. Does that increase get you better judging, communication, and a better overall experience? I'm doubtful.

Will this year's winners be noted with a "*"? It's still a major accomplishment but it certainly won't mean what it did in previous years. It's essentially the largest exclusive club only competition replacing what was the biggest inclusive, although imperfect, national competition.

Will this year's winners be noted with a "*"? It's still a major accomplishment but it certainly won't mean what it did in previous years. It's essentially the largest exclusive club only competition replacing what was the biggest inclusive, although imperfect, national competition.

I dunno, if you submit 2 beers and win two golds, I'd say that's one hell of an accomplishment. It's much more impressive to me than submitting 65 beers and winning 2 golds.

Darwin18 said:
It's impressive but at the end of the day it's a club only competition.

Perhaps. But the biggest club in the world.

I can't believe all the whining about this... as if TANSTAAFL was a new thing.

I think we all can agree that last years NHC comp was a disaster from a lot of people. Reading through this post, I can understand the views of Yooper and Booby M and Darwin. I was lucky to enter two beers into last years comp. I feel I got better feedback from the local comps that I entered into in the past year.
I am a AHA member and I do agree that the AHA has done lots for us as homebrewers.

I like most of us would like to see everybody be able to enter into the NHC comp, but I think this is not a reality as we can see that the comp has grown signficantly from years past.

I don't think there's a problem limiting it to AHA members. I the grand scheme of everything we spend money on for this hobby, it is cheap and does some good.

As for other limits, I am all for a more complicated qualifying scheme, although I don't know right away what that would be.

I think that the AHA should buy the online brewing competition software and make the necessary changes to create a member-centric view. If they did that and made it free for comps, it would *reduce* administrative overhead. There is a lot,they could do with technology that they don't/won't.

Hell, I volunteer as tribute to lead the effort to do that. It would mean I don't have to type the same information into a zillion different sites.

As opposed to the last few years of the "my internet connection was faster than yours so I could enter and you couldn't" competition?

That was indeed a fiasco. I'm not sure that the lottery will run as smoothly, but they've had a full year to work it out.

Stop your whining, fgs, pm me I'll send you the membership fee. If you were my judge i'd be sorry i'd entered.......

Thanks for contributing nothing. This is a conversation about the changes to the NHC and my thoughts, while maybe not particularly glowing about the AHA, have some validity as several other judges that I personally know feel the same way. Save your $52 plus $14 entry costs - I can spend $7 to enter a competition that's well run and inclusive. This was the biggest the homebrew competition in the country and winning, even placing, meant something. The competition has never been about AHA membership, aside from preferential registration, so the change to limit to membership only is significant.

I think it came up during all the issues last year, but if you want to achieve the highest award for producing exceptional bjcp guidelined beer, you need to be entering and competing in MCAB competitions. From here on out, this will probably be the way to achieve "best homebrewer of the year" status. It also provides some benefits of being able to submit entries when they are ready throughout the year rather then having to have everything ready at one point in time. Multiple qualify periods etc. You can't fault the NHC for the changes they are having to be make, but just realize that you now need to change your expectations for the competition and look elsewhere if becoming a "Homebrew" great is on your hobby personal goals list. :mug:

Thanks for contributing nothing. This is a conversation about the changes to the NHC and my thoughts, while maybe not particularly glowing about the AHA, have some validity as several other judges that I personally know feel the same way. Save your $52 plus $14 entry costs - I can spend $7 to enter a competition that's well run and inclusive. This was the biggest the homebrew competition in the country and winning, even placing, meant something. The competition has never been about AHA membership, aside from preferential registration, so the change to limit to membership only is significant.

I am fully aware of all of that, and am an AHA member of many years. They have their reasons to try to solve the problem of having the most popular home brew contest in the world. They will get their judges, and the contest will go on as always. I'm simply saying, that though I respect your opinion, I think you are wrong. And my offer still stands.

I am fully aware of all of that, and am an AHA member of many years. They have their reasons to try to solve the problem of having the most popular home brew contest in the world. They will get their judges, and the contest will go on as always. I'm simply saying, that though I respect your opinion, I think you are wrong. And my offer still stands.

I sincerely do hope they get the number and quality of judges that they are looking for. However, if you go to:

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

You'll see that there "only" six first round entry competitions listed. There are going to be 12 first round locations in 2014. Registration confirmation is February 10th. That's approximately four weeks away. This list is fairly fluid but it's concerning to me that at least half the competition sites and dates are not listed with about 8 weeks to go before first round shipping is due.

There is a cap of 750 entries per site. A reasonable flight is 10 - 12 beers with a pair of judges doing two flights in both morning/evening sessions.

750 entries / 12 per flight = 62.5 * 2 judges per flight / 2 flights in one day = 62.5 judges, we'll round it down to 62.

Obviously you can decrease the amount of judges needed if you "pre-judge" a few categories, spread the competition over a few days, or bump the number of entries per flight (this will decrease score sheet quality). Realistically you're looking at at least 40 - 50 BJCP judges, and preferably at least one certified or higher in each pair to ensure quality scoresheets. People are going to be very upset if their entries are judged by novice or non-BJCP judges after spending $14 an entry - and honestly at that price they should expect quality feedback from high ranking and experienced judges. You also need a large group of stewards, organizers, and behind the scenes people to ensure that everything runs smoothly. The club that I am in is concerned about a 350 - 400 entry size competition; I could not imagine trying to organize a 750 entry competition. It's a massive undertaking.

Some regions will hit the judging number without a problem. Other regions, I am very doubtful of. The reality is that the pool of judges is limited both in size and geographically. Before people gripe about the BJCP - know that most of the people who register for the tasting exam drop out. The one that is run here in Raleigh routinely has people way down on the wait list end up sitting in the exam. You never also really know just how many judges and stewards are actually going to show up for a competition either...there's no penalty besides terrible karma for registering to judge and deciding you want to sleep in instead.

Additionally, most judges, including myself, want some kind of incentive to spend our own money and time for travel to judge these competitions beyond the BJCP experience points. I, personally, enjoy judging and talking about beer with like-minded people for hours. The carrot for 2015 is a nice one from the AHA, but I'm not sure that will be the deciding factor for many judges.

I could be completely wrong but knowing other judges, I don't think that is the case. I'm actually considering AHA membership, but I do appreciate your offer. It's hard for me to justify spending $50+ on a membership but I do enjoy Zymurgy and I grudgingly admit that homebrewers need an national advocacy group and at this point its the AHA.

Back