AHA-NHC Scoresheets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oleson M.D.

Reaction score
Has the AHA-NHC abandoned the standard rules for numerical scores on beers? Such as 0 to 50?

They have said that no actual scores will be provided to the entrants. Why not? A number score is really the best way to see where a beer falls within the style guidelines.

And what is with the score sheets not available until mid July? Nearly a month after the judging? Can they not be posted online, or simply emailed to the participants?

Comment Sheets
Each entry will be judged by two judges and receive at least two comment sheets per entry for beer, mead, or cider. Comment sheets will be collected, compiled and scanned to digital format, then emailed to competing brewers in the weeks following judging. You can expect to receive your comment sheets by mid-July.

It's really just the solution to trying to finish judging 5000 beers in 3 days. I imagine if they go back to two stage judging that it would return to standard score sheets. I didn't particularly feel compelled to compete or judge this time around because it's such a departure from norms.

It's really just the solution to trying to finish judging 5000 beers in 3 days. I imagine if they go back to two stage judging that it would return to standard score sheets. I didn't particularly feel compelled to compete or judge this time around because it's such a departure from norms.

I think the total beer entries were 3,000. That is still a lot of judging to do.
We entered this year, probably a one and done for us. Way too expensive with the entry fees and shipping charges.

I think the total beer entries were 3,000. That is still a lot of judging to do.
We entered this year, probably a one and done for us. Way too expensive with the entry fees and shipping charges.

Man, the entry numbers are really down. I think they were running 7-8k in years past, when $15 and local shipping was the first step.

I haven't gotten my scores in the last 2-3 years. This will likely be my last year competing.

Wow!
My competition experience is with the Bluebonnet. It is national in scope, and this year had entries from 24 states. The actual score sheets were available the next morning after the awards ceremony.
We have 3 entries in the AHA-NHC this year. This will be my first time, and last time.

Has the AHA-NHC abandoned the standard rules for numerical scores on beers? Such as 0 to 50?
I am pretty sure they just moved away from giving scores for the last two competitions (last year and this year...the year before was cancelled). I hope they rethink this. If the NHC is going to be charging premium prices they need to deliver a premium product. I understand there are issues with scores, but taking the time to give each entry a score is a bare minimum. Score sheets also seem to be moving more towards checkbox type forms, with less hand written comments.

Wow!
My competition experience is with the Bluebonnet. It is national in scope, and this year had entries from 24 states. The actual score sheets were available the next morning after the awards ceremony.
We have 3 entries in the AHA-NHC this year. This will be my first time, and last time.

Almost all BJCP sanctioned competitions that are listed on BJCP are national in scope unless they restrict mail in entries. Even the small 250 entry comp my club runs every year has seen at least a dozen states represented. I encourage you to send some around to different states because you get a completely different judging pool (for better or worse).

From what I read from AHA content, AHA-NHC 2022 did a good job of stating what one needed to do to enter and stating what one would get in return.

Other competitions that I follow are doing the same. Most of the ones that I follow are showing a 'sample' results page - so one can see the type of feedback that one will be getting.

If you're not getting the value you expect from a competition, that's fine. There are other competitions and other ways to get constructive feedback.

And polite feedback, sent directly to the competition, may cause them to change in the future.

So, one last time: competitions are continuing to change. Check with the competition web site to understand what you are getting and what you need to do. If you don't like the changes, offer direct polite feedback and 'move along'. (Maybe) check back in future years to see if the competition has changed to provide the value you are looking for.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back