Next Step In Continued Improvement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how you make your wort, weather it be extract, BIAB, traditional mash tun, etc. if you don't have good control of fermentation temps., you are not going to make good beer. Focus on that first. If your basement is 72, your beer is fermenting in the high 70's and that is way too high for most ale yeasts.

No matter how you make your wort, weather it be extract, BIAB, traditional mash tun, etc. if you don't have good control of fermentation temps., you are not going to make good beer. Focus on that first. If your basement is 72, your beer is fermenting in the high 70's and that is way too high for most ale yeasts.

On each of the different Wyeast strains I've bought so far, I've used the data from their website. For my Saison, for example, this is what Wyeast provides:
Wyeast #3711
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83
Temp Range: 65-77
ABV: 12%

Here's what is listed for the yeast for my wheat beer:
Wyeast #1010
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-78
Temp Range: 58-74
ABV: 10%

If your basement is 72, your beer is fermenting in the high 70's and that is way too high for most ale yeasts.

Once again, sorry if I'm dense, but if my basement is around 72, which must be high, why is my beer fermenting in the high 70s?

Both of my current yeasts say my ferm temp is within the range provided.

Here is my big question, is the ideal fermentation temperature in the middle of the two temps provided? For my Saison, should it be at 71? For the wheat beer, should it be at 66?

I keep reading that temperature control is the #1 thing I could do to help the quality of my beer. What temp am I shooting for? The middle of the yeast's range? What my kit says? Thanks in advance.

if my basement is around 72, which must be high, why is my beer fermenting in the high 70s?

Fermentation is exothermic, it produces heat. This is especially true during the early active stage.

What temp am I shooting for? The middle of the yeast's range?

Initially I go for the lower end of the range. When fermentation has slowed down (usually indicated by the krausen falling into the beer) I ramp the temp up to the upper end of the range, to help the yeast stay active and finish up.

Fermentation is exothermic, it produces heat. This is especially true during the early active stage.

Initially I go for the lower end of the range. When fermentation has slowed down (usually indicated by the krausen falling into the beer) I ramp the temp up to the upper end of the range, to help the yeast stay active and finish up.
LittleRiver, you keep coming through for me. Thanks very much :)

Latest posts

Back