Next Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my $.02... take it FWIW

Fat Tire is a kindof unusual beer. (It has that oddly intense biscuity flavor, etc.) Cloning it means you're going to feel satisfied or not based mostly on how close your beer comes to the original. In other words, you're kindof setting yourself up for failure.

For your first batch without training wheels, I'd go for something not patterned after a particular commercial beer. Maybe an APA or IPA (if you like those styles)?

If you are set on a FT clone, I'd go with the Dude's recipe. It has been used by a lot of people, especially on the Green Board, and those that like FT say that it's the best recipe around! Here's one version of it as a partial mash:

4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 43.2 %
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10.8 %
2.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 21.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.8 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.25 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.7 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 26.9 IBU
Est Color: 12.7 SRM

I know the Dude prefers Willamette and Fuggles and also recommends toasting 2 lbs of 2 row.

Yes, That was the featured recipe on the home page. What I did was do a search on Fat Tire, and came up with 15-20 recipies, and I figured I would select one that had many "views".

Also, the recipe attached looks good, but I'm not sure exactly what a partial mash is (Infusion or Temp Controlled). Either way, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I'm thinking I'm still in the "paint by numbers" stage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hercules Rockefeller said:
I've got a fat tire clone in my primary right now. I got the recipe from my LHBS's web page: http://www.thebrewhut.com/ViewTBHRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=22 when I transfer it to secondary tommorow I'll take a sample and post back to let you know if it seems to be coming along or not, as this is my time brewing this recipe.

Thanks Herc...Let me know. BTW, That's the same LHBS I use.

CO...Representing :rockin:

Have a Fat Tire clone ready to rack to secondary right now. I found out something about FT and New Belguim Brewery. My HBS is in Fort collins - home of New Belguim. The owner is an ex-brewmaster and said that New Belg runs their water right out of the Fort Collins tap and that that water is very soft. I planned on using RO water - my recipe calls for 1tsp gypsum. He showed me on a spread sheet that that placed the hardness? profile just a few points below the Fort Collins city water out of the tap. I'll rack in the morning and get a taste. So I guess the message might be - use soft water.
My recipe:
1tsp gypsum
4lbs pale syrup
2lbs amber syrup
1lb munich syrup
.5lb dextrin malt
.5lb 15L crystal malt
.5lb 40L crystal malt
8 HBU Fuggle hops(bittering)
1/2 oz Willamette hops - flavor
1/2 oz Fuggle - aroma
1tsp irish moss
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast or
White Labs 001 California ale yeast

I actually used the slurry from a Safale US56 American Ale yeast - dry from a Porter. This Fermentis dry yeast worked faster than anything else in my young brewing life. Just sprinkled it dry in the Porter and it took off within 5 hours. The slurry was even faster.

jro16, have you been to any of the other's in town? I'm happy with brew hut but I've never been to another so I don't know what I'm missing. but it seems like there's only a couple in town and their on the other end of denver, whereas I drive by the brew hut at least 3 times a week. and 2pugs, keep us posted on how that fat tire turns out. I went to college at CSU and so Fat tire was some my first beer and has always been a favorite, so I'm definitely looking to get a good clone going.

jro16, have you been to any of the other's in town? I'm happy with brew hut but I've never been to another so I don't know what I'm missing. but it seems like there's only a couple in town and their on the other end of denver, whereas I drive by the brew hut at least 3 times a week. and 2pugs, keep us posted on how that fat tire turns out. I went to college at CSU and so Fat tire was some my first beer and has always been a favorite, so I'm definitely looking to get a good clone going.
I racked my Fat Tire to the secondary this morning and it tasted great, at least to me and my wife said that's her kind of beer. (She doesn't go for the porters, dubbels etc) It was really my first premium beer so it's kind of my favorite The SG was only down to 1.018 - being a newb I don't know if it'll ferment more in the secondary.

The new brew club up here (Liquid Poets) met at Odell's on Thursday but they didn't put out any samples of their beers. Had a bottle of their 90 Shilling Ale last night tho. Lots of different home brews - even an excellent brandy made from apple cider. Next month we'll meet at Fort Collins Brewery.

Herc - Go Rams...Also a CSU alum ('97)...

Yes, I also go to Beer at Home on Broadway and approx. Belleview (4393 S Broadway). They are much smaller, but you get more personalized attention. I like both stores, but Beer at Home has is open on Sunday, which is when I'm finding is the best time for me to Brew.

As a matter of fact, I have the FT Clone now (brewed today) in my primary. This is part "Brew Hut" recipe, Beertools.com, and part store owner advise...as follows:

.5 Crystal Malt
.5 Munich Malt
.5 Belgian Cora-Pils
.25 Belgian Biscuit
7 Dry Extra Light Extract
.5 Willamette (60 min)
.5 Fuggle (20 min)
.25 Fugle 5 min)
German Ale/Holsch Yeast

BVP "Next Broncos Starting QB":mug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller

Herc - Go Rams...Also a CSU alum ('97)...

Yes, I also go to Beer at Home on Broadway and approx. Belleview (4393 S Broadway). They are much smaller, but you get more personalized attention. I like both stores, but Beer at Home has is open on Sunday, which is when I'm finding is the best time for me to Brew.

As a matter of fact, I have the FT Clone now (brewed today) in my primary. This is part "Brew Hut" recipe, Beertools.com, and part store owner advise...as follows:

.5 Crystal Malt
.5 Munich Malt
.5 Belgian Cora-Pils
.25 Belgian Biscuit
7 Dry Extra Light Extract
.5 Willamette (60 min)
.5 Fuggle (20 min)
.25 Fugle 5 min)
German Ale/Holsch Yeast

BVP "Next Broncos Starting QB"

I racked my fat tire clone to secondary on Sun Am and it tasted pretty good. It hasn't yet gotten that biscuity flavor that I'm looking for, I'm guessing that won't come out until after the secondary or bottle conditioning

Back