Next brew, 75 degree fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am wondering if you guys could give me some ideas for the next brew. I currently have a La Petite Orange in the keezer, and would like to go ahead and get started on the next brew. My only problem is that the room I use to ferment in, the temperature averages 75 degrees all the time. What would you recommend for this? I'm pretty open to different styles, flavors, except for IPA's.
Several of the kits I have seen on the various mail order sites usually go for ferment temps around 65-68. Thanks guys.

I just finished a Ginger Saison at room temp. The fermentation went nuts for almost 2 weeks. It needs one more day to finish carbing up but it is a delicious ginger beauty! I will make it again but take the ginger down 1/2oz and increase coriander ny 1/2 oz.

Saisons Rule!

At that temp, unless you're willing to take steps to cool the ferment, you're pretty much stuck with doing saisons.

My house is a steady 75*F during the warmer months, so I use a fermenter fridge.

Pretty much any Belgian style will also be just fine at those temps. Assuming you like Belgians with a lot of Belgian yeast character. But as mentioned, Saisons start to do really well around 75. I like mine to ferment even hotter than that. Somewhere in the 80-85 range. Turn up the heat...

Pretty much any Belgian style will also be just fine at those temps. Assuming you like Belgians with a lot of Belgian yeast character. But as mentioned, Saisons start to do really well around 75. I like mine to ferment even hotter than that. Somewhere in the 80-85 range. Turn up the heat...

Not really. Most Belgian yeasts do need temp control for the first few days. If you start them off that warm they will get too hot to fast and produce fusels. If you do ferment them that warm from the start you might as well call NSA and ask them if they want to buy some rocket fuel.

Saison yeasts are the only yeast that can handle those kind of temps early in the fermentation and not produce fusels.

Mauribrew ale yeast is supposed to be OK even up to 80 or more but I can't vouch for it. I have a packet. I'll probably ferment around 72 ambient temp and see what happens.

Not really. Most Belgian yeasts do need temp control for the first few days. If you start them off that warm they will get too hot to fast and produce fusels. If you do ferment them that warm from the start you might as well call NSA and ask them if they want to buy some rocket fuel.

Saison yeasts are the only yeast that can handle those kind of temps early in the fermentation and not produce fusels.

I've done a lot of Belgians at 70-75 and never had an issue with fusels or hot flavors. Anything over 75 I would start to agree with you.

I've done a lot of Belgians at 70-75 and never had an issue with fusels or hot flavors. Anything over 75 I would start to agree with you.

The OP said the room was at 75 so the fermentation would take it well over 80 when it starts. That is too hot during the early stages of fermentation. He did not indicate that he had temp control

There is a big difference between 70 and 75 ambient. 70 ambient may be OK with some Belgian yeasts, but 75 ambient is to hot. If you are talking 75 wort temp then that is ok.

get a big plastic tub and a case of water bottles to freeze and swap them out as needed. Its a pain but its better than a saison.

^^^^ Agreed I'm using one for the first time right and I stay between 60-68 degrees, very awesome piece of equipment.

$65 shipped for an insulated bag is only about $20 less than what I spent on my upright freezer in which I used to ferment (it's now my lagering chamber) and an STC-1000 controller.

Still, it's a whole lot better than just sticking the fermenter in a 75*F closet.

Back